New member with a '64 Jetaway problem

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM

New member with a '64 Jetaway problem

I've been reading the posts on this website for a few weeks now and I found many excellent responses by many knowledgable people. What a good group! Well, as of this past weekend, I now have a problem that I'm not sure about.

I'll post my question first, then ramble on about myself after.
I have a '64 Cutlass, 330 high compression 4BBL with a THM300 flip pitch two speed, for 7 years. Sunday night, on the way home from our normal cruise I stopped to close the trunk that my Daughter left open, tried to pull away, and the engine died. Some quick diagnostics found an intermittent wire between the distributor and the coil and it was back running right away. Now, I only mention the wire failure for coincidence purposes, although I am skeptical about coincidence, but as I pulled out, and at the next stop sign, I realized that I had no low gear and was starting out in high. All the way home, about 12 miles, I kept pulling the manual shifter into low at low speeds and it just wouldn't go in. I did some reading in my '64 Olds service manual and could find no such failure mode, but I did notice that the governor pressure worked against the modulator pressure to get a down shift even at low speeds or stopped.
Is it possible that I lost my modulator? I did some testing that shows that it holds vacuum, and it is getting manifold vacuum. The flip pitch switches are working normally also.

So, about me: I started driving in the late 60s and although my Dad was a Buick fan, I was a Chevy fan. Until I owned my first Oldsmobile. I probably don't need to mention the advantages as I read and found out more about the Olds marque. I've had a Chevi diesel truck that I installed an Olds 455 in, ran it that way for 15 years and 300,000 miles munching up many universal joints and three rear ends but loving the torque all the way. I have a '64 Jetstar1, a '64 Cutlass auto, and am working on a '64 Cutlass with a factory 4-speed. I have a '88 Calais with a Quad 4 as my "backup" car, (to my Chevy truck), and sold my '76 "98" and a '77 Cutlass a few years ago. I've always done my own work on my and my Daughters' cars. I've preferred standard transmissions to autos, mainly because I don't completely understand the auto. I've learned what I need to about them to keep cars running, but prefer to "shift for myself".

I don't like to talk about myself, and I'm not much of a "belonger", but I think I may have found a place where I won't feel alone with my cars and my problems and I hope I can help as well.

Thanks for having me!
George
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard George

I can't help you with your problem but hang in there and the Jetaway guru's will soon chime in.

Glad to have you with us.
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks, Jamesbo, you make a guy feel welcome!

Good news, I found a brandy new old stock modulator in my parts pile with sealed openings. Tested with vacuum and it looks good. Now to get greasy....
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Hope the replacement modulator fixes things.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Well, I changed the modulator, tight area to work in. Got excited when I saw red oil come out of the vacuum port. Didn't fix the problem though, still no low gear. Any ideas? I guess I'll check the governor next.