my monster transmission review and help needed

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM

my monster transmission review and help needed

ok so in one of my other treads i was trying to find a 2004r to go in my 81 cutlass. Going against other forum advice i went with a monster trans. I was at first impressed with the people i talked to on the phone at moster they seemed knowledgable. The main reason i decided to go with monster over say the art carr or pa was the master conversion kit they offered. It comes with evrything you need to convert to the 2004r or so it said. After laying down the 2000$ the trans arrived sooner than expected so far so good. the first problem i ran into once trans was in the car was the nice shiny locar like dipstick wouldnt even come close to fitting. (keep in mind on the phone they got all my info on make model engine) no big deal i guees so i moved on. second problem dust shield for a chevy starter cut out on wrong side. called them said it was universal i told them no it wont fit. gave up tossed dust cover.
Ok, no i dont want to turn this into a moster trans rant. after install their directions on tv cable adjustment were good. The shifts were firm. only driven about 20 miles then i had to head back home for the day due to some overheating problems. here is where the fun begins after fixing a bad fuse for the fans could hear engine clicking. Almost sounded like a exhaust leak or lifter. After finding no leak in exhaust i began to freak out really didnt want to pull motor. Put car up on rack clicking got louder. come to find out It is the trans thats clicking. so thats where im at now why would it be doing this. What is causing it.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Make sure the flex plate bolts to engine and to torque converter are tight.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Make sure the flex plate bolts to engine and to torque converter are tight.
x2
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM
Registered Thread Killer

I installed the same transmission in my '70 but threw the kitchen sink at. I had the same problems with the dip stick tube and dust shield. The biggest problem was the Torque convertor. It was for a chevy and did not fit against the flexplate due to the balancing weights. After I sent pictures they finally realized they had sent the wrong convertor and quickly reciprocated. It appeared to me they had little experience with Oldsmobiles.

I hope you caught this. It would be a disaster if you didn't.

Other than adding a puke can to top vent this has been awesome performance enhancement. They even installed the correct speedo gear for a 3:91.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:09 AM

i think my torque converter is correct i have driven car
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:54 AM
Old School Olds

A cracked flywheel or flexpate will make a
clicking sound as well.