Making a 200R4 trans equal or just as strong as a 700R4

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Making a 200R4 trans equal or just as strong as a 700R4

hey guys, i have a 200R4 in fleetwood caddy with a rebuilt 307 engine. I wanted to know how can i update my 200R4 into a more stronger transmission that will hold up against a more bigger engine. Like when i take it to get rebuilted, what should i demand i want done to it to perform better than original look and hopefully a 700R4 if possible.............
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Try Chris at CK performance (631) 218-1989. The 2004r can be built stronger than the 700r4.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
GM Enthusiast

Check out the Buick Grand National forums, they are using the 200r4 in some very high performance applications.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM

You might try raptor transmission.com. They have a nice deal to fix up a 200r4. Some of my friends used them a nad are real happy
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Start here and read http://www.jakesperformance.com/200-...uild_Tech.html

A 200-4R can be built stronger then a 700R4.
However, can it be done cheaper.......not sure......
I just built a 600hp+ capable 2004R with parts from CK performance.

I bought one of his Stage II 700R4's in 2003.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Check out the Buick Grand National forums, they are using the 200r4 in some very high performance applications.
www.turbobuick.com < Go on here, and ask around and get opinions.

Yes, Chris @ CK performance is allegedly the best who also gives you the best kits around.
Dave Husek is also very helpful. Many other guys on there are helpful.

Now here's the down side of dealing with Chris.
I bought his kit and parts were missing. For a newbie, this isn't easy to figure out because
we don't do this on a day to day basis. He took 3 weeks to get me the missing parts.......
and I still didn't get the #10 selective end play washer. Overall , he still does offer the best
all around comprehensive kits though.

When you can get him on the phone, he's great to talk shop with though. He really does know
his stuff, and he also makes the Billet Input Drum upgrade in house that many other vendors
buy from him to throw in their transmission builds.

Chris has a 200 page manual on 200-4R upgrades I highly recommend buying.
It took me 3 months to get mine because they had issues with the reprinting of it.
They did make up for some of their errors by sending me a few free parts.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 19th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM

One thing VERY IMPORTANT to keep in mind, is to get a vacuum modular put in the tranny.

The 200 and 700 transmissions are computer controled when it comes to the lock up convertor, without the lock up being engaged, like on a non computer controled engine, you're just going to burn up the transmission after a few thousand miles
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
One thing VERY IMPORTANT to keep in mind, is to get a vacuum modular put in the tranny.

The 200 and 700 transmissions are computer controled when it comes to the lock up convertor, without the lock up being engaged, like on a non computer controled engine, you're just going to burn up the transmission after a few thousand miles
Sorry, but I think you are confused. A vacuum modulator has nothing to do with converter lockup and neither the 200-4R nor the 700R4 are designed to use a vacuum modulator. The vacuum modulator is used on the earlier transmissions as a sort of throttle position sensor - at light throttle and loads, vacuum is high; at heavy throttle and loads vacuum is low. The vac modulator modulates the line pressure based on this.

On the newer transmissions, which were designed to be used behind turbocharged engines and diesels, neither of which have a vacuum signal that is directly tied to throttle position, a throttle valve cable is used instead. This is simply a direct mechanical connection from the modulator valve to the throttle, again to vary line pressure in relation to throttle position. So long as you have the TV cable attached and adjusted properly, the trans will be fine. Yes, it's a good idea to hook up the lockup circuitry, but that can be a simple toggle switch or a more sophisticated load-based system.