Dynaflow question

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Dynaflow question

Hi !

I have located a nice Super 88 from 1953, but it does have the Dynaflow tranny, does anyone knows if there is any difference from a 53 Buick Dynaflow ?

As far as I know the bellhousing is a separate part so I would assume Olds just replaced the bellhousing and left everything as it is ?

Is the steering column the same ?
Same length/same strut ?

I am a bit worried about parts here, I would guess there are not that many Oldsmobiles with a Dynaflow left out there, but if everything but the bellhousing is same as on Buick it's no problem.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM

I answer some of my own questions just in case there might some one else looking for same answer ;o)

They did change the bellhousing of course, Cadillac even had to change the crank shaft to make it fit, not sure if this is the case with olds.

They also had to change the rear end of the Dynaflow to make it work with/without torque tube.

As far as I can tell there are also changes to the carb. when using a Dynaflow they used some form of throttle "damper" that was used when the you released the throttle to fast.
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM

The main box is probably the same as the Buick, as is the torque converter. But the tail housing is probably different due to open driveline in Olds and Cads. Also the starter may be different from the Olds starter, but I would still think it mounted like the Hydro Olds and Cads. There were no Variable pitch flows that year, so no TV (or switch pitch) linkage used. Cooler lines were used on flows, so a different radiator with cooler is used. Hydros were air cooled. Neutral safety switch is different as P and N positions could be used to start, where Hydros only used the first (N) position. Since 53 Oldsmobiles had the electronic shift indicator, the flow equipped Olds probably does have a different outer steering column that has only a pointer to show gear positions. Cadillac just changed out the indicator plate.

Driveshaft probably different in length. 98's used a long tail housing on hydros, where 88 and Super 88 models used a shorter tail housing.

Crankshaft wise, there may be a spacer to adapt Olds or Cad cranks to Buick flywheel. Or they spun dynaflow crankshafts for those cars.

You will definitely have a rare beast, but a slow one too. Hydro cars will eat up the dynaflows, that is unless you start in LO and GO.

When you get the car, please post some pictures. Sure would like to see the shift indicator and tail housing.

Last edited by d2_willys; March 28th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM

The car is still for sale but I have not made up my mind yet, anyway, the shift indicator look's like this:

http://www.backyardengineering.se/o1.jpg
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by micke_932
The car is still for sale but I have not made up my mind yet, anyway, the shift indicator look's like this:

http://www.backyardengineering.se/o1.jpg
that sure looks cool!