76 cutlass 200-4r tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:12 PM

76 cutlass 200-4r tranny swap

Hello:

I have a 76 cutlass supreme I want to remove my TH350 and replace it with a 200-4r I found one at a bone yard working and in pretty good condition for $350 I want to have it rebuilt anyways this is my everyday car I am doing it all over I want the 200-4r for milage with the overdrive i have the rocket 350 I dont race with it or do hole shots I just want it to look real nice and drive well is there anything I should change or replace in the 200-4r or differential that would be beneficial to what Im trying to accomplish...any suggestions would be appreciated

Thx Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1976 Cutlass.jpg (105.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by m1369d; February 5th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Hangin' out...

Pretty much a bolt-in as far as dimension is concerned. The 200-4r is the same overall length as the th350. Driveshaft will work without modification. Be sure your transmission shop is familiar with the 200-4r. There are modifications/upgrades that are necessary to make it live behind a 350. You may need to move your trans crossmember back as the 200's mount is roughly where the mount on a th400 is. Drilling the frame may be necessary. Some bodies have the holes for multiple transmissions. I'm not sure about yours. You will need some kind of aftermarket (or off an 80s olds diesel or chevy truck) kit to control torque converter lockup. Finally, and most importantly, you need an adapter bracket to make sure the TV cable from the trans has the right geometry. If you don't have that cable set up right, you will burn it up in short order. The swap has been done many times. Be sure to search the site for more information. Check out summit for parts. Here is what I'm talking about for the lock-up kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70244

And this article about swapping a 700-r4 into a 70s suburban may help make sense about the tv cable. Again, DO NOT IGNORE this step.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/MetalShop...eCableBracket/
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by m1369d
I found one at a bone yard working and in pretty good condition for $350
I personally feel that's waaaaay too much for a 2004R core, and unless they tested it running in a car in front of you,
don't buy that they know it's working correctly. Boneyards always try to charge alot more then it's really worth.

Unless it's a BR-F Grand National 2004R, it's not worth that.
The CZ-F cores from the Monte Carlo SS's are a step down and don't go for that either.

You can pick up a core for $50-$100 from other people on Craigslist or other sources.
I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and I only paid $50 for an average core and it even came with the TV cable, bracket, etc.

As for what you need to do to it, I think that depends on which car it came out of.
Not all of them were built to handle a decent amount of power. My personal opinion is to find a cheap
core locally on CL and then invest the other few hundred into a rebuild kit from CK Performance.
If you need help, PM me or email me.
Originally Posted by m1369d
is there anything I should change or replace in the 200-4r or differential that would be beneficial to what Im trying to accomplish...any suggestions would be appreciated

Thx Mike
If you are going to spend $350 I suggest buying a DVD to rebuild it yourself.
It's really not as hard as you think it is.

IF you are interested, I have a thread with 2004R rebuild cheater tips to avoid having to spend
the $$$ on special tools. The Video is from Boxnet for a few bucks. It's worth every penny and THEN SOME!!!

BTW Yes, the TV cable adjustment is crucial to keeping the transmission from burning up quickly.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 6th, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM

If your using the factory Q-Jet on the car the easiest and cheapest TV cable fix is to grab a factory TV cable throttle bracket and use a throttle arm from a CCC carb. Grind off the dimpled area (on the throttle shaft) that holds the factory throttle arm on both carbs. Transfer the arm from the CCC carb to your original and weld the arm to the throttle shaft. Use the factory throttle cable bracket to hold the TV cable and you just duplicated the factory set-up for a fraction of the cost of a aftermarket kit.

If the engine is stock a stock 2004R trans will live behind a mild 350 ASSUMING its in good condition, the TV cable is installed correctly, and you use a mild shift kit. Call CK performance and ask about his shift kit and servo package. It would be money well spent.

Is this a column or floor shift car? Shiftworks makes a floor shifter conversion kit for a overdrive trans.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM

I Agree with Aceshigh, $350 is a lot of money for a junkyard 200R4. I've seen built 200R4's on CL around here for $600, and I mean built for high HP cars.

200R4 will swap in for a TH350 and in 1976 the Olds 350 wasn't putting out that much torque, not enough to break a 200R4 anyway.

You'll need some kind of kit to lock up that convertor. There are a few choices out there ranging in price from $70 to $200. You could do it yourself for $15, but in this case, spend the money now to get an actual kit.

This is becoming a more popular swap now, with gas being $3.50 a gallon