65' Cutlass with a TH350

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2019, 01:28 PM

65' Cutlass with a TH350

I picked up a 65' Cutlass this past April that has the original 330 CI (high compression), engine, a TH350 and a posi 3:73 rear. Well, putting around town and then nothing, no movement forward or back. The linkage checked out, and it seemed the pump was working fine, so my next guess being that everything else was as it should be was the filter. So, draining, flushing and replacing the filter and fluid seemed to be what it needed. The filter was clogged pretty good, not much in the way of debris in the pan (a good sign), though. Now, I need to figure out how to get the speedometer working, no cable is hooked up to the trans, and I also need to figure a way to connect the kick down cable to the carb (Edelbrock 1405). Runs fine without it as long as you don't mind manually downshifting into second. I've got some research to do on here, I love the site, more info than I've seen in any one place, makes it nice. Thanks, Doug
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Administrator

You can adapt a universal Chevy kickdown cable and bracket to the carb to get the kickdown to work. For the speedo, just get the stock cable (available through your local auto parts or Rockauto, etc) for your car and hook it up.
Old September 17th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can adapt a universal Chevy kickdown cable and bracket to the carb to get the kickdown to work. For the speedo, just get the stock cable (available through your local auto parts or Rockauto, etc) for your car and hook it up.
Eric, honestly that's what I was thinking. In some of the research I've seen/read I have seen the speedometer cable run from the rear of the speedometer to the hub of the driver's front wheel (I have to look into this more). This set up intrigued me due to the rear gearing I have. Initially, I was told the 3:73's don't have a trans driven gear that will make it accurate.

The kickdown should be easy enough given all the people that have gone this route in the past, fabricating the Chevy bracket is doable, I'll have to look and see if there is something that can be fabricated to connect it to the gas pedal rod/linkage. What do you think? Doug
Old September 17th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1965Oldsmobile
Eric, honestly that's what I was thinking. In some of the research I've seen/read I have seen the speedometer cable run from the rear of the speedometer to the hub of the driver's front wheel (I have to look into this more). This set up intrigued me due to the rear gearing I have. Initially, I was told the 3:73's don't have a trans driven gear that will make it accurate.
What size are your tires?
Old September 17th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
What size are your tires?
15 inch, but I think to calculate accuracy I need the running circumference don't I? Doug
Old September 17th, 2019, 04:07 PM

15 inch, but I think to calculate accuracy I need the running circumference don't I? Doug
I didn't ask what size the rims are. What is your tire size? Like 235/60/15
Old September 17th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Administrator

The cable runs from the speedometer to the trans, no hub involved. You should be able to get the correct gear for accuracy.

The kickdown should be easy enough given all the people that have gone this route in the past, fabricating the Chevy bracket is doable, I'll have to look and see if there is something that can be fabricated to connect it to the gas pedal rod/linkage. What do you think? Doug
There are tons of stand alone brackets out there that can be modified to work with your carb. You don't have to mod the stock throttle linkage its a separate item.
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:10 PM

I didn't ask what size the rims are. What is your tire size? Like 235/60/15

The rears are P245/60R15's and I'm thinking of running P275/60 (0r maybe 65), R15's. Sorry about that, but thanks for the info! Doug
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There are tons of stand alone brackets out there that can be modified to work with your carb. You don't have to mod the stock throttle linkage its a separate item.
Eric,
Thanks for the information, I'll keep up the research and see what I can come up with! Doug
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:06 PM

The rears are P245/60R15's and I'm thinking of running P275/60 (0r maybe 65), R15's. Sorry about that, but thanks for the info! Doug
Well, that could complicate things.

The best combos that I can see are with the 245 tires a 7 tooth drive with a 20 tooth driven, and with the 275 tires a 7 drive and a 19 driven.

Here is the calculator that I used. It has a tire diameter calculator as well as listing for all of the available drive and driven gears.
https://www.tciauto.com/speedometer-gear-calculator
Old September 18th, 2019, 06:36 AM

Well, that could complicate things.

The best combos that I can see are with the 245 tires a 7 tooth drive with a 20 tooth driven, and with the 275 tires a 7 drive and a 19 driven.

Here is the calculator that I used. It has a tire diameter calculator as well as listing for all of the available drive and driven gears.
https://www.tciauto.com/speedometer-gear-calculator
Randy,

Thanks for the information and the link to the calculator. I have been on that a couple of times before, a long time ago helping a friend with a TH400. Just for the fun of it have you ever seen a speedometer that runs from the driver's front hub to the speedometer. Oldsmobile utilized this set up, but I can't remember on which car, I'll see if I can find some more info on it. Again, thanks for the info! Doug
Old September 18th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Ok, a general kickdown cable question here; is there two separate cables - 1 from the carb to the gas pedal, and a second cable from gas pedal to trans? Or is there just one cable from pedal to carb? Thanks for the insight, Doug
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Administrator

The one you want is from the carb to the transmission stand alone cable.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Ok, a general kickdown cable question here; is there two separate cables - 1 from the carb to the gas pedal, and a second cable from gas pedal to trans? Or is there just one cable from pedal to carb? Thanks for the insight, Doug
When the TH350 was first introduced in 69 the kickdown cable went from the pedal to the trans, but I believe in 73 they changed that to run from the carb to the trans. There are always two cables involved unless (like a TH400) it has an electronic kickdown.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Randy,

Thanks for the information and the link to the calculator. I have been on that a couple of times before, a long time ago helping a friend with a TH400. Just for the fun of it have you ever seen a speedometer that runs from the driver's front hub to the speedometer. Oldsmobile utilized this set up, but I can't remember on which car, I'll see if I can find some more info on it. Again, thanks for the info! Doug
I know that GM did that on some full size cars, but I'm unaware of that being the case on a mid size or compact car.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Doug, 65 didn’t have a cable . You have mechanical throttle so just get a square holed bracket for the downshift cable and attach to carburetor so cable is pulled out all the way at full throttle. Bracket may need to attach to carb hold down bolts.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gpc1
Doug, 65 didn’t have a cable . You have mechanical throttle so just get a square holed bracket for the downshift cable and attach to carburetor so cable is pulled out all the way at full throttle. Bracket may need to attach to carb hold down bolts.
Or it can be attached to the manifold, just as stated it has to be fully extended at wot.
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Cool Gpc1,

Thanks for the input, I was aware that the 2 speed wasn't set up this way and didn't have one. I guess I was just trying to determine how I would set it up and what I'd actually need to install and fab up. Again, thanks for the input! Doug
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Eric,

I figured it would mount to one or the other, I'll figure it out once I get the time; between the wife, kids, dogs, house, work, and the 5 other cars, I attempt to get things done that I want to do in my free time between 1 and 4AM, know what I mean? I think if I can swing it maybe I'll try and hit the junk yard this weekend and look for a bracket and a couple of other things I need. Thanks again for the info! Doug