4 speed leaking

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2021, 07:36 AM

4 speed leaking

Hello all,

So I rebuilt the M22 in my 71. The front bearing retainer cover appears to be leaking. Looks like the gasket is leaking. I had the front bearing retainer cover powder coated and it appeared to be unlevel like the powder coating wasn't even. I sanded it down and it is flat now. I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. From looking at the cover and the hole in the case it looks like oil could possibly get onto the input shaft and out the hole in the cover at the bottom of the input shaft. See pictures. I think I fixed it but just wanted another opinion. I'm assuming that hole is just a drain hole for any oil that would seep out of the front bearing.

Old December 7th, 2021, 09:52 AM

You could put snout in lathe and true up face of bearing retainer. Other then that you should be good to go with a new gasket.
Old December 7th, 2021, 10:47 AM

IMO as long as you sanded it on a true flat surface you should be good to go.
Old December 7th, 2021, 01:03 PM

I have a welding table that is very flat. I usually stick a piece of sandpaper to it and rub the part on it. It's flat now. Just seems weird that there is not more of a seal there.
Old December 7th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by friesjh
I have a welding table that is very flat. I usually stick a piece of sandpaper to it and rub the part on it. It's flat now. Just seems weird that there is not more of a seal there.
I do the same thing on my table saw table. There is no fluid pressure there, so only a very minimal amount can ever get to the drip hole. You will be fine.
Old December 7th, 2021, 09:05 PM

Did you rebuild it yourself? There is an oil shield that should be between the bearing and the gear, much like the oil shield inside the timing chain cover on the engine. I don't know if all Muncies have that or not but the ones I have rebuilt had it.