200-4R Tailshaft bushing removal

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2022, 03:12 AM

200-4R Tailshaft bushing removal

Hi,
I've got a bad leak from the tail end of my tranny so I bought a new seal and bushing. Just realized that you can't get the old bushing out without a special tool. Is there anything cheaper on the market than this: https://www.streetsidetools.com/product-p/sst-0160.htm ? Any advice, tips or tricks on how to tackle this?

Thanks in advance!
Old April 20th, 2022, 05:37 AM

Is the current bushing worn? If so, that probably means that something isn't right inside the tranny - excessive rear end play, worn bushings around the rear support, etc. Replacing the bushing in that case won't do you much - it'll just get wiped out right away.

To just deal with the leak just replace the seal. Make sure the slip yoke is in good shape, too. Even if things are loosey-goosey inside the trans this should get you down the road until you're ready to rebuild it.

Or there's the chance that whoever rebuilt the trans did everything *except* the rear bushing. It's super easy when the case is empty so I'd be surprised if that's what happened.
Old April 20th, 2022, 06:17 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Whatever tool you purchase, do not, and I repeat, do not buy a tool from Streetside Tools. They fail in design, utility and quality. Just ask me how I know. On the first try the tool bent and became unusable, and I cannot get any response out of Streetside. Emails, phone calls all go unanswered.

The best tool for removing the bushing is the Kent Moore Tool, and as already said, if other factors are in play, replacing the bushing will not correct the problem. The first thing I would look at is the slip yoke condition.

Hope this helps....
Old April 20th, 2022, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just replace the seal and see where that gets me.
How can I check the slip yokes condition? Can you measure it? I'm having the drive shaft balanced with new U-joints anyway so I could get a new slip yoke as well if the old one is worn.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:18 AM

The slip yoke should be free of corrosion/pitting in the seal area, and the teeth should be crisp and relatively unworn. A slight amount of wear is normal as in visually seeing even tooth contact areas inside, but if you're digging into the teeth on the trans tail and/or yoke teeth, then it's an issue. There may be a wear "ring" where the lip seal goes on the yoke. It shouldn't be very deep if there at all, more just like a rub marking at best. If it's grooved, you may want to think about a replacement. I don't know if they make sleeves for this or not. I know they do for balancer savers.

If in doubt, talk to your drive shaft guys and get a second opinion. They've probably seen everything in their line of work.

It's tough to say why your bushing will need replacing, but as others have said, you got more going on inside the transmission, or will have. Loosey Goosey/sloppy floppy is not the place to be in this area.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:10 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by Stetson
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just replace the seal and see where that gets me.
How can I check the slip yokes condition? Can you measure it? I'm having the drive shaft balanced with new U-joints anyway so I could get a new slip yoke as well if the old one is worn.
If in your shoes, I would not replace the seal until you accomplish the rebuild of the drive shaft. Pull and deliver the drive shaft to your local drive line guy if you have one. LIke has been said, these guys are well versed so I'd heed their opinion. The drive line guy can also advise you on the slip yoke condition if you are unsure how to assess it.

If it were my car, I would not want to install a rebuilt drive shaft without a new bushing, and of course, new seal.

Hope this helps...
Old April 21st, 2022, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stetson
Yoke wear is obvious. Is the thing all rusted? Deep groove where the seal runs? Bunch of scratches on the outside?
And like mentioned, broken/bent teeth is super bad. I've luckily never had anything fail that horribly (yet)