Radiator Replacement Article, '84 Toro

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Radiator Replacement Article, '84 Toro

1984 Oldsmobile Toronado Radiator replacement.

What you will need:
5/16” combo Wrench
10MM combo Wrench
3/8” dr. Ratchet
3/8” dr. 6” extension
3/8” Dr. 10MM standard Socket (6 point preferred)
½” Flare nut wrench
Flat blade screwdriver
Pliers
Funnel
New radiator
New upper and lower Radiator hoses
New heater hoses
New Bypass hose
New hose clamps
Transmission fluid
Engine Coolant
About an hour of time

Step 1:
Remove the Negative Battery Cable. This is just for safety reasons. If you are comfortable working with it connected, feel free. I tucked my cable end under the reservoir tube. Drain the cooling system. The drain **** is on the bottom of the radiator, visible from under the vehicle on the Passenger side.
0517101945-00.jpg

Step 2:
Remove the Radiator Fan Shroud mounting screws (one per side, 10MM size) and set them aside. Move the fan shroud back up on to the fan blades (you may have two more lower shroud screws like I do, don’t remove them, just tilt the shroud back, it’s flexible, so it won’t break easily.). This gives you the room to swing the ½” Flare nut wrench to remove the trans cooler lines. Also remove the upper and lower radiator hoses.
0517101945-01.jpg
Other shroud screw.
0517101945-02.jpg

Step 3:
Remove the Upper Radiator Mounting Bracket Screws (Two Per side, 10MM size) and set them aside. Now remove the bracket and set it aside.
0517101945-03.jpg
0517101945-04.jpg

Step 4: Remove the Radiator from the vehicle.
100_3116.jpg

Mine is shown here to illustrate the failure points of mine. Yes, it is corroded on each end and the bottom. I had been chasing an unidentified leak for the last few weeks. I think I found it! The entire top seem of the radiator is what failed outright. The upper most row of fins can be removed with your fingers. The inside the radiator is heavily corroded, which explained my higher than normal cruising temperature (about 210-220 Degrees, vs. 190 Degrees)

Step 5:
Remove the radiator hoses from the intake manifold and the water pump after loosening the clamps. If you have OE style spring clamps, change them out for more reliable worm gear style clamps. Be sure to get Stainless Steel clamps (including SS worm gear) so you won’t have to fight rusty clamps later on.

Installation is the reverse of install, tighten all screws snugly. Refill with fresh coolant and bleed the cooling system. When the cooling system has been refilled (about 4 gallons or so) and no longer bubbling at the fill spout, start the engine and let it run with the cap off. Add coolant as necessary while the engine is running to keep the level full (watch the temp gauge for signs of overheating). Once the thermostat opens (flow noted at the fill spout) you may get a large bubble and the level will drop. Just keep refilling until the level does not drop. Once filled, replace the cap, refill the reservoir and refill the trans fluid to proper level.

Now go and enjoy an engine that doesn’t **** itself!

Gratuitous pictures of the crustiness!
100_3124.jpg

100_3121.jpg

100_3123.jpg
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Nice writeup! Goes to show how easy these old cars are to work on.

If you took that old rad to a shop, they would not look twice at repairing it. It looks worse than the one in my Ford and they did not want to touch it even.
Was your new rad brass or plastic?
Great job - I also love having cars that don't leak!
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Thank you. The worst part was indeed the cooler lines. They came off with minimal fuss and hair pulling.

The new one is Plastic and aluminum. Not my preference, but I couldn't find one in my price range that was Copper/Brass.

I did discover some panel rot. Mainly under the radiator. It's pretty much Swiss cheese. Since the metal is so thin and can't be welded without burn through, I am going to have to redneck it.

100_3131.jpg

100_3132.jpg

Two or three pieces of steel flat stock, epoxied into place. Then paint the thing over to prevent more rust. It's weakest in the middle, but I want to reinforce the whole thing anyway....

The edges are super solid still so the rad won't be falling out anytime soon, but the splash shield is falling off (its screwed to the lower rad cradle). I already learned my lesson about not running the shield.

Not the best plan, but I need the thing running ASAP and for cheap....
I will get the radiator in tomorrow if it's not raining.