power window option.

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM

power window option.

My elderly dad bought a new '72 Olds Toronado back in the day. He finally gave the car to me. The first time I drove it I looked for the P/window switches for 10 minutes before I realized the car had manual windows !!. When I asked him about it he said he ordered the car without them stating
"I never liked P/windows, they are always trouble." LOL.
Maybe it's just me but until this day I remember that, and wonder how GM could build such a high end car without P/windows being standard equipment. Anyone else or is it just me ?
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kcars
Maybe it's just me but until this day I remember that, and wonder how GM could build such a high end car without P/windows being standard equipment. Anyone else or is it just me ?
You've answered your own question. People didn't want them.

Power windows were an optional extra on all GM cars that had them at that time, with the possible exception of Cadillac (I know you could still get manual windows on Caddies in the early '60s, but I'm not sure about the '70s).

We had a '46 Lincoln once, and as far as I recall power was the only option for those, but honestly, in a car with no A/C, with power windows that operated via hydraulic pump with oil lines running into all the doors, I think I would have ordered manual windows on that car too if I'd bought one new.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

"I never liked P/windows, they are always trouble." LOL. Maybe it's just me but until this day I remember that, and wonder how GM could build such a high end car without P/windows being standard equipment. Anyone else or is it just me ?
Power windows, door locks, seat etc back in the 70's could cause problems because they relied very heavily on good grounds. Don't forget that the early 70's cars didn't have corrosion protection standards like new cars.

And, Toro's weren't the only ones. Look at the high end Ninety Eight Luxury sedan/coupe. Many of them were built with manual windows, locks, seats etc. Your new Toro is not an exception, but it's not the rule either.

I'm the opposite. I LIKE power options. That's why I have collected a huge stockpile of them for my car. My Dad was like your Dad - the car I have now is his old one, but it's not going to stay low optioned. BTW I'm only putting OEM options of the day onto the car - no after market crap.
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I'll never forget being @ 17 or so riding around out in BFE somewhere .....

And seeing what look liked a 71/2 Toro just off the side of the road.

Turned around - went back & shined our lights towards the car so I could get out & get a better look.

I glance inside & although it was still rather dark ... much to my shock I can just make out a set of window cranks front & back.

I was as surprised as you at the time ... couldn't believe it.

Of course' being younger - not having any literature and/or internet at that time ... I really wasn't in a position to research it to see that PW were indeed an option & not standard.

But that was nothing .....

Fast forward @ year later & low & behold a 72 Toro shows up in one of the local newspapers.

Call up -

Ask several questions ... one being was the a/c in working order.

No a/c says the guy at the other end.

Ok ... inop at the moment then.

No it's not broken ... there never was any replies the guy.

Ok so no power windows on the one out in BFE.

Maybe I was naive to power windows being an option vs standard.

But AIR CONDITIONING ?!?!?!?!?!?

Nah can't be - it's a TORONADO for crying out loud !!!!!.

This guy must be clueless.

So later that afternoon ... I go to check out the car.

And wouldn't you know .....

I was the clueless one.

Sure as shat ... there was NO a/c to be found in that car.

I came across some odd duck 71/2 Toro's back then ... they always seemed to find me somehow.

Another that popped up in the paper .....

Sounded more like what a Toro should be.

Your basic power options - a/c etc etc.

The front of the hood has a small dent in it says the guy ... I tapped a deer.

He rattles of a few other minor issues ... & while I wasn't too keen on the sounds of the damaged hood - I wasn't crossing it off my list just yet.

That was until the epic bombshell he drops on me ..... that I really never saw coming.

That ... well that was a DEAL BREAKER.

Oh - did I tell ya' it's got a custom removable top ... almost like a convertible - says the guy.

Me - Removable top ?

Yea he says ... I cut the top right down to where it meets the rear quarter.

I set it up with marine snaps so you can take it on/off at will.

Ummm ... interesting I reply back.
(as I do an epic facepalm)

Course' as horrified as I was at the sounds of this fine craftsmanship .....

I couldn't ignore my curiosity & had to go see it with my own (2) eyes.

I must say ... it was as laughable & hideous in the flesh as my mind imagined.

Too bad ....

I think I could have gotten past the bump in the hood & fixed it down the road.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM

wonder how GM could build such a high end car without P/windows being standard equipment.
"High end" meant something different back then. Today it's as you say, typically more features become standard equipment. Back then, though, it just meant a higher level of chrome and other brightwork. It meant nothing with regard to options.

As has been pointed out, very "high end" cars like the 98 could have been ordered with no options and have come with roll-up windows, no power locks, no power seats, no cruise control, possibly no radio, etc. You could also have gone the other way and ordered a very low-end Delta 88 (as opposed to the Delta 88 Royale) with every option in the book.

So, yes, Toronados and 98's with roll-up windows were not at all uncommon. As your father said, people didn't trust them not to fail and leave you with an unopenable window that will cost some $$$ to fix. Today we pretty much take for granted that only the most low-end cars do not have power windows, and I can't remember the last time I had a problem or heard of anyone who had a problem with the power windows in a late-model car.
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Today we pretty much take for granted that only the most low-end cars do not have power windows, and I can't remember the last time I had a problem or heard of anyone who had a problem with the power windows in a late-model car.
Not to mention with the evolution of door design, and refinement of parts, replacing/repairing power options in doors is much easier too. Only problem I've head of lately is the Ford Focus that won't lock/unlock unless it's in a good mood But then that's a blue oval issue....
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Ex GF had a camry PW fail, cost her 550 to fix at firestone. Dealer wanted 100 more.
Many, if not most PW setups rely on cables and plastic straps. If one of those breaks, you cannot just replace the broke part, but you have to get the whole dang mechanism. Neighbor's truck window cable broke and the PW assy from Rockauto was 300 itself. Makes our old regulators look cheap and easy to fix!
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Should have tried 1A Auto