My first Toronado

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Unhappy My first Toronado

I just picked up a 69 Toronado that had been sitting for 37 years with 56K miles. After the carb was rebuilt, tank cleaned and coated, new water pump, new coil and a few other things, I took it for a drive. My bad luck, I spun a rod bearing after 100 miles and now are faced with a couple of hard decisions that I would welcome opinions on from the group. I can have a crank kit installed assuming the damage isn't too bad (still runs well, just knocks hard), but while the shop I use will do it, they will not warranty it because of the high likelihood of other engine problems related to the long period of sitting. OR I can have the engine rebuilt which will be under a full warranty. The difference in cost is several thousand significant.

Which would you do?
If rebuilding, is there anything else I should do while I have it out and open (different cams, roller rockers, etc..) or stay stock?

MM
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Registered car nut

I'd spend some time researching, lots of good info on here.
455 right? I'd post questions in the Big Block forum.
If all you want is stock then any good shop could help you. If you want to upgrade at all. Do your homework. You'll be glad you did.
Some really smart and experianced guys here(not me) that can help you but you'll need to give info on what you want/need. etc.

Cruiser? hot street? ever rev past 3000 rpm? Lots to consider.
Good luck and lets see some pictures!
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks, I'll copy the bulk of this post and open it in the big block.
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
rod

great car its hard to find BARNFINDS anymore keep it original is agood choice.it may not be as bad as you think pull the pan and check damage from inside,from there you can estimate the cost.hope for the bbest good luck on your toro.
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:06 PM

Make sure a shop with its act together resizes the rods. Have them press in new rod bolts while they're at it. You can do the rebuild yourself for far less if you're patient and choose your battles carefully with the shops.