68 toro fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM

68 toro fuel tank

Good Day All,

Luke and I dropped the tank this morning without any hitches by supporting it with a bottle jack, a 2x4 and some bricks.

There was a few gallons of what used to be gasoline, brown in color and worse than any varnish you could imagine. The inside of the tank looks pretty solid albeit grungy. So I have to send it to be cleaned. Considered at first getting a kit and doing myself, but due to your valued responses, I will source out a radiator shop to 'boil' it out for me. After it gets cleaned is there any need for a sealer of some type? I am thinking just get the gas back in there and keep it full.

Being new to this car, I have no clue if what I removed from the top of the tank is a sending unit or a fuel pump. My guess is sending unit> either way its rusted to bits.

Searched for about half an hour but was not able to come up with a part number for a replacement. Also does that part come with a gasket, or will I buy that separately?

Is there a list of part numbers on the wild about cars site. I have the manuals from there, but did not see a parts number in sec. 12 of the service manual.

I really want to learn how to find out these things all by myself

Thanks for any tips and advice
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM

73 views and not one reply..................

do any of the other models work on the toro?

i have not found a replacement, not for lack of searching

Last edited by damalden; July 9th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Oldsdruid

I'll look tonight, but I think that is a one-year-only sending unit. If it's not totally trashed it can be rebuilt.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM

i will have to find something else because its a rusty mess, impossible to rebuild
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM

fuel sender

The sender in my 70 may be close. Does it look like a round can with the sock at the bottom? There have been a few people selling Toro parts, on from way up North on the left coast. I got one in very nice shape from there. The resistance values are way screwy, but they seem to work. When I first saw mine, it reminded me of some senders I bought from WEMA on the internet for my boat. They have the capability to custom make for car resistance values. HTH
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM

It might sound dumb, but you could try a GM dealership. I know the parts have long been discontinued, but I have found some NOS items in dealerships before. You'll have to be a little lucky and find a parts guy willing to look for you. Something like that probably didn't sell out too fast and may be hiding on a shelf somewhere. And if they do have it, you'll pay less than those NOS EBAY prices.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:01 AM

yes it looks like a can, but it seems like there aren't any available like that.

i heard that a the 88 ones work too, and all the flanges seem to be the same size.

the 88 ones have two pipes coming out the top, and the toro only has one.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:01 AM

no dumb answers, i am open to all ideas
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:44 AM

Look familiar? :P

As far as replacement, I was told this in another thread, but have yet to replace it:

You won't find these sending units or replacement socks as they're not reproduced. I found that for my car (on advice from another user on here), a sending unit for a '72 Buick LeSabre, which I got at Rockauto for about $70, fits right in and works perfectly. It has an extra tube coming out of the top for a vapor return line, and I just capped that off.

Last edited by wikkonado; July 28th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM

the sock on ours is completely gone, and the can portion is rusted completely through.

thanks for the advice on the rockauto buick part
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Smile

The sock is not nearly as important as many people think, except for loyalty to what was actually, completely stock OE. As long as you have a good filter up front, minor stuff flowing through the system will not harm the fuel pump or carb. Getting replacement socks for cars back when alocohol was added to the fuel was nearly impossible. Even today, most GM dealers don't stock them. Back when these cars were on the road, before fuel injection, many old time mechanics viewed them as worthless.
If the can is rusted, all is still not lost. There is a grommet that holds the can on the unit. If you pry that off, you may be able to fix what's inside. You will find a float that encircles 2 set of rheostat wires. If the wires aren't broken, you still have a chance. I have seen where one of the contacts broke off the float and was in the can when I took it off. I didn't try but somebody VERY GOOD at soldering could be able to reattach the contact. The issue with mine was that the float had swollen up a bit and was stuck inside the can. It looks like the same material they used for the infamous sinking floats in '66. Mine was also swollen on the inside diameter and I was lucky that the one I bought on Ebay was good to go, so I didn't experiment. But I thought about shaving the float to fit and a bit more, then covering it with something gas and alcohol proof.