steering box replacement.

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Im no expert mechanic, but this looks like it could be a pretty easy upgrade..(Even for me!).........."68 work in progress"
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:21 PM

It's an awesome upgrade. I did it with my '72 when I upgraded/replaced the tired original suspension. Great bang for the buck.

Matt
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:37 PM
1972 442

Hey guys. So i read just about every post about the jeep GC power steering gear box swap but ...a) i cant find the right Lee Manufacturing company. And b) that adapter everyone is talking about for the metric to standard thread mushroom looking thing...what exactly is it called?
Thanks guys
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 138milkmen
a) i cant find the right Lee Manufacturing company.
http://www.steertechgrp.com/

Originally Posted by 138milkmen
b) that adapter everyone is talking about for the metric to standard thread mushroom looking thing...what exactly is it called?
O-ring to Inverted Flare Fitting Adapter.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old September 3rd, 2016, 04:38 PM
1972 442

This fitting?
Old September 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, if it's the right size.

- Eric
Old September 3rd, 2016, 05:17 PM
1972 442

Is16mm o-ring to 5/8" inverted flare the right set up?
Old September 3rd, 2016, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I hate to say I don't remember.

Ask Joe.

- Eric
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I hate to say I don't remember.

Ask Joe.

- Eric
Yes that's the one. This adapter simply gets an o-ring on it and gets pressed into the port in the steering box. The inverted flare on the pressure hose screws in on top of it.
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Which side is high pressure???

Hi, I did the JGC conversion and lost track of which was high pressure and which was low. Here is a picture of the box mounted and I need to know which one is high pressure? #2 is bigger (inboard) at 18mm and the other is smaller at 16 mm. I always assume the smaller hose is high pressure. However on the Chevelle site they say the bigger one is high pressure on the old Chevelles. Please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2393.JPG (1.99 MB, 43 views)
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by exiledone
However on the Chevelle site they say the bigger one is high pressure on the old Chevelles. Please help.
As usual, "they" would be wrong.
Old October 7th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by exiledone
Hi, I did the JGC conversion and lost track of which was high pressure and which was low.
You could just check your Chassis Service Manual.

#2 is the pressure (feed) side.

#1 is the return side.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks all! Much appreciated
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:13 PM
1972 442

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The high perf G-body cars used a 12:1 box that bolts into the A-body cars, but there are a few qualifiers. First, you obviously need the correct pitman arm from your original box. Second, you need to remove the flange on the input shaft and use your original rag joint. Third, the hose fittings are metric o-ring fittings instead of SAE flare fittings. You can buy adapters for these.

The F-body cars also used a quick ratio box, but the internal stops are different and if you use it in an A-body, you'll have different turning radii from right to left.
Hey guys. So this Lee Engineering or Lee power steering...I can't find them on the Web. Maybe because I'm in CA. Idk. But every web search takes me no where. I want to get those adapters and couple for this cool sounding swap. I'll even take a phone number.

Appreciate you all!
Also, if this message is in a weird random place, blame my phone and this mobile app version of this site. I can't find anywhere to post a NEW message.

Thanks
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

http://leepowersteering.com/
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

FYI, Lee closed down a few years ago, which is why you likely couldn't find contact info. They have just recently reopened under new management.
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Here's the scoop on Lee's:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...e-emerged.html
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for posting that.

There are a lot of very attractive female members of that forum, at least judging by their avatars...

- Eric
Old January 10th, 2017, 08:18 AM

The upgrade worked great for me. I have a leak coming from the seal on the gearbox now. Not sure how it happened but I plan on doing a front end upgrade soon due to all the leaking. Overall, I recommend this upgrade.
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Looking for suggestions.

I want to upgrade my steering box with a more responsive quicker ratio gear. What is the stock steering gear ratio in a '70 Cutlass Supreme? Is it 16/13:1 variable ratio? It is currently about 3-1/4 turns lock-to-lock ("LTL"). I understand that vari-ratio is what causes the sloppy wheel when steering straight ahead (16:1 ratio), and when parking (turning wheels) the ratio drops to a more responsive 13:1. The OE rag joint coupler is 13/16" which can be changed with a new size (3/4") if necessary. Also, the OE steering box is built with 4 ears for a 4-bolt frame attachment, but the Cutlass uses only 3 of the 4 bolt ears on the box.

Should I have my OE box rebuilt to a quicker constant ratio, and if so what ratio, 12.7:1 or 10:1? Or should I purchase a re-built (perhaps Lares) box? (I don't need the newer Delphi 670 design with t-bar internals.) Lares offers several bolt-in choices: #970 3 turns LTL OE casting 12:7:1; #971 3 turns LTL vari-ratio (don't want this due to var-ratio?); #972 10:1 2-1/2 turns LTL 4 bolts; #973 3 turns LTL 12.7:1 3 bolts; #974 2-1/2 turns LTL 10:1 3 bolts. #970 and #973 appear to be the same ratio (12.7:1) except for number of bolts that can be accommodated. Same with #972 (4 bolts) and 974 (3 bolts) both 10:1 (2-1/2 turns LTL). Lares says the #972 & 974 have IROC internals and offer slightly stiffer steering.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 7th, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old February 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM

Can anyone clarify the number of turns lock-to-lock for the Jeep GC steering box? Posts 22 & 36 say 2.5 turns; post 33 says 3.1 turns.
Old February 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Can anyone clarify the number of turns lock-to-lock for the Jeep GC steering box? Posts 22 & 36 say 2.5 turns; post 33 says 3.1 turns.
Turns lock-to-lock is meaningless, since that is a function of BOTH the ratio and the internal stops. The GC box is 12.7:1 ratio.
Old February 7th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Thank you for your reply, Joe. It may be meaningless, but how can the same GC box have different reported turns lock-to-lock? That's why I sought clarification.

If the GC box is quick ratio at 12:7, what is the ratio on a stock '70 Olds Cutlass?

If one box travels the same radius in 3 turns than another that travels the same radius in 2.5 turns, then wouldn't the latter box be a quicker ratio box?
Old February 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you for your reply, Joe. It may be meaningless, but how can the same GC box have different reported turns lock-to-lock? That's why I sought clarification.
If the steering linkage hits the stops before the internal stops of the box, the number will be different.

If the GC box is quick ratio at 12:7, what is the ratio on a stock '70 Olds Cutlass?
About 17.5:1, though that is an average. The Cutlass boxes were variable ratio, with the ratio at the stops being quicker than on-center to make the car feel less twitchy (at the expense of responsiveness). On-center ratio is about 20:1, speeding up to about 16:1 at full lock.

If one box travels the same radius in 3 turns than another that travels the same radius in 2.5 turns, then wouldn't the latter box be a quicker ratio box?
Correct, but that ASSUMES the turning angle of the wheels is the same. As I pointed out, if something in the steering linkage or box hits a stop at a different angle the measured turns won't equate to the same turning angle. For example, on the A-body cars, the steering arms are designed to hit a stop at the side of the lower control arm. If the steering box has different internal stops that don't allow the pitman shaft to rotate as much as on the original box (the Trans Am WS6 box swap into the A-body is a classic example of this) then the steering box internal stops limit the steering angle, not the external stops, and the wheels don't turn as much.

Bottom line is that what matters is the number of turns FOR A SPECIFIC ROTATION ANGLE OF THE PITMAN SHAFT. If the box has 2.5 turns until the steering linkage hits the stops in one installation, but 3 turns due to different linkage in a different installation, that doesn't mean that the ratio in the box has changed. Compound this with the variable ratio boxes and you see why you can't just count the number of turns.
Old February 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM

If the steering linkage hits the stops before the internal stops of the box, the number will be different.

But for the same GC box on the same vehicle, there would/should be no difference in number of turns.

About 17.5:1, though that is an average. The Cutlass boxes were variable ratio, with the ratio at the stops being quicker than on-center to make the car feel less twitchy (at the expense of responsiveness). On-center ratio is about 20:1, speeding up to about 16:1 at full lock.

So changing to a 12:7 ratio gear would make a noticeable difference on-center and throughout the full radius of turning?

Correct, but that ASSUMES the turning angle of the wheels is the same. As I pointed out, if something in the steering linkage or box hits a stop at a different angle the measured turns won't equate to the same turning angle. For example, on the A-body cars, the steering arms are designed to hit a stop at the side of the lower control arm. If the steering box has different internal stops that don't allow the pitman shaft to rotate as much as on the original box (the Trans Am WS6 box swap into the A-body is a classic example of this) then the steering box internal stops limit the steering angle, not the external stops, and the wheels don't turn as much.

Bottom line is that what matters is the number of turns FOR A SPECIFIC ROTATION ANGLE OF THE PITMAN SHAFT. If the box has 2.5 turns until the steering linkage hits the stops in one installation, but 3 turns due to different linkage in a different installation, that doesn't mean that the ratio in the box has changed. Compound this with the variable ratio boxes and you see why you can't just count the number of turns.
Understood. My question was the JGC box installed specifically in a '70 Cutlass: same box, same vehicle, same linkages.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 7th, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old February 7th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Various quick-ratio steering gear info attached.
Old February 7th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Understood. My question was the JGC box installed specifically in a '70 Cutlass: same box, same vehicle, same linkages.
The lock-to-lock number is irrelevant. The GC box is 12.7:1 It is a marked improvement. Use it.

As for the conflicting information, welcome to the web.
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks Joe. One last question ... since the GC gear is virtually identical to the stock gear (fittings and rag joint different), would a 12.7:1 ratio in the stock box have the same feel as the GC box? Reason I ask: I can get a fully rebuilt 12.7:1 ratio OE box for about the same cost as a used GC box and the required adapters and different (smaller size) rag joint.
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The steering boxes are internally identical, and will feel the same, so long as their torsion bars, which actuate the power assist when torque at the steering wheel reaches a certain level, are the same.

- Eric
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe. One last question ... since the GC gear is virtually identical to the stock gear (fittings and rag joint different), would a 12.7:1 ratio in the stock box have the same feel as the GC box? Reason I ask: I can get a fully rebuilt 12.7:1 ratio OE box for about the same cost as a used GC box and the required adapters and different (smaller size) rag joint.
There are two variables that affect steering feel, ratio and the torsion bar diameter. Ratio is determined by the specific gear set installed, and one 12.7 gear set is exactly the same as another. The torsion bar is part of the input shaft and governs how much steering assist you get at a given steering shaft angle. The smaller the torsion bar diameter, the more it twists and the more assist you get (meaning less steering feel). This article from Hot Rod includes a table with torsion bar diameter, ratio, and even total pitman shaft angular travel available. Note that the torsion bar diameter varies from 0.175" on the 1960s boxes to 0.210" on the performance F-body box. No, I have no idea what is in the Jeep box, but I suspect it is on the smaller side.
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM

The GC has a .195 diameter torsion bar.
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:18 PM

No, I have no idea what is in the Jeep box, but I suspect it is on the smaller side.
But do you know the t-bar size in the Cutlass?
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

But do you know the t-bar size in the Cutlass?
0.175" on the 1960s boxes
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:35 PM

The JGC box has the largest torsion bar of all the 12.7:1 boxes with the stops in the right place. Only the Monte Carlo SS had a bigger torsion bar but the turn radius is not the same.
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

Here's a link to another thread related to the JGC and Lares 1353 gear: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-w-pics-4.html

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 8th, 2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:04 AM

FYI - I just spoke with a Lares tech who said the Lares 1353 (i.e. the JGC gear) is not a 12.7:1 ratio! Clearly, there is plenty of reliable information which contradicts that statement. He recommended the #972 or #974 "fast ratio" 10:1 gears. I'm not going to use a 10:1 ratio to replace a 16-13:1 vari-ratio gear. Even the newer (and more expensive) Delphi 670 gear is 12.7:1 and the Borgeson and AGR gears (at Summit) are 12.7:1 and 12:1.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 8th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Clearly, there is plenty of reliable information which contradicts that statement.
Reliable? Which information?
Considering the longevity of false information on the internet, I'd be cautious.

The only information I trust 100% is information I've obtained myself, or observed being measured.

It is impossible to get even a rough sense of steering box ratios using "casual" tools, like a straightedge and protractor, but if anyone is motivated, it could be done with a bench vise and two cam degree wheels.

I'm not going to use a 10:1 ratio to replace a 16-13:1 vari-ratio gear.
Why not?

- Eric
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Reliable? Which information?
Considering the longevity of false information on the internet, I'd be cautious.

The only information I trust 100% is information I've obtained myself, or observed being measured.

It is impossible to get even a rough sense of steering box ratios using "casual" tools, like a straightedge and protractor, but if anyone is motivated, it could be done with a bench vise and two cam degree wheels.
- Eric
I'm being cautious.

1.) Attached chart reflects JGC gear as 12.7:1 ratio.
2.) Hot Rod July 2014 p.112 article confirms JGC is a 12.7:1 gear > http://www.hotrod.com/articles/jeep-...ring-box-swap/
3.) Countless posters on this forum and other GM forums confirm the JGC is a 12.7:1 ratio gear.
4.) Joe P. said it is - see posts #102 & 107.

The real question: Is Lares rebuilding the JGC #1353 gear not to OE spec with the 12.7 ratio gear?
Attached Files

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 8th, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm being cautious.
Yes, but what are you being cautious to guard against?

1.) Attached chart reflects JGC gear as 12.7:1 ratio.
2.) Hot Rod July 2014 p.112 article confirms JGC is a 12.7:1 gear.
3.) Countless posters on this forum and other GM forums confirm the JGC is a 12.7:1 ratio gear.

The real question (being cautious): Is Lares rebuilding the JGC #1353 gear not to OE spec with the 12.7 ratio gear?
Playing devil's advocate here:

1.) You include a chart, but you do not note anything about its source.
In fact, this chart was prepared by Jim Shea, who, if I recall, is a former Saginaw engineer, and who has written extensively on Saginaw power steering gears for the Corvette crowd. Jim Shea should be a reliable source.

2.) Hot Rod magazine? Really? Members on this site regularly find glaring errors in Hot Rod articles.

3.) "Countless posters" will also tell you that the moon landings were faked, that vaccines cause autism, and that Bigfoot was seen in their back yards.

It is very likely that the JGC box is, in fact 12.7:1, but there are so many ratios and lock-to-lock numbers batted around for so many different (or the same) steering boxes at this point, and so much contradictory information, such as from different phone reps from different rebuilders, that I would be suspicious of everything.

I can tell you that a JGC box will provide quicker steering with a better feel, much closer to a "modern" car than an "old" car,and much easier for most of us to drive, with no unpleasant effort when parking, because I have done the swap, but I cannot tell you what the exact ratio or steering effort is, because I have not measured them myself.

My advice would be not to fixate on the numbers, consider how tight you like your steering to feel, and get the box that seems to be right - you will probably be happy with it no matter what.

- Eric
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:39 AM

My advice would be not to fixate on the numbers, consider how tight you like your steering to feel, and get the box that seems to be right - you will probably be happy with it no matter what.- Eric
Whatever that means??

I started out by focusing on turns lock-to-lock. Joe P. advised turns is meaningless; instead focus on gear ratio. I focused on gear ratios but you say they're not reliable, "get the box that feels right." This method is the trial-and-error buyer's remorse method which doesn't work for me.

Quick Reply: steering box replacement.