Moog front coil springs std or HD

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:04 AM
72 Olds CS

Moog front coil springs std or HD

My front coil springs appear to be original. Both of my front control arm bumpers have bumped many times in the past and could use replacement.

I want to replace my front coil springs.

Rockauto (moog) offers a std rate and heavy duty rate #s 5382 and 5450, I'm inclined to go with the 5450 HD offering.

I would like to hear some opinions from someone who has bought either or both before

my car is a 72 supreme

Last edited by RetroRanger; September 14th, 2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Keep in mind all of the Moog std springs for this year and model have a higher spring rate than stock. So getting a Moog std would still be stiffer than the originals. And the original ones would be saggy anyway.
Decide what is more important - handling or ride quality, and go from there.
I got the HD front ones for mine, which have a rate just a bit higher than that of the factory FE2 suspension springs. They will be installed in a few weeks.
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:40 AM
72 Olds CS

Hi Rob

I dont know what FE2 is? a performance option ? I like performance

whats more important handling or ride quality ? well I was hoping to get both or some reasonable trade off between the two, right now I get an unreasonble comprimise of neither

I can wait two weeks for your ride report

Dean
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Hi Rob

I dont know what FE2 is? a performance option ? I like performance

whats more important handling or ride quality ? well I was hoping to get both or some reasonable trade off between the two, right now I get an unreasonble comprimise of neither

I can wait two weeks for your ride report

Dean
FE2 was the 442 suspension that came with the W29 or W30 option packages.

I got the Moog HD REAR springs but they are too stiff - the back feels jittery. The spring rate of those are 167lbs, the rate for 4 speed cars. The FE2 rate for auto trans should be 122lbs. The Moog STD springs are 121.5lbs, so I will change them out. The Olds stock regular springs were way under 121lbs.

I will give the ride report early October!
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM

back in the late 90s i ordered a set of springs for my Rallye 350. when they ask if i wanted standard or HD, i said HD just thinking thats what would have been original and not knowing the differance. i have never been happy with the harshness of the ride over stock. if i wanted a sports car that would be one thing but all i ever wanted is a fun and comfortable driver.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
FE2 was the 442 suspension that came with the W29 or W30 option packages.

I got the Moog HD REAR springs but they are too stiff - the back feels jittery. The spring rate of those are 167lbs, the rate for 4 speed cars. The FE2 rate for auto trans should be 122lbs. The Moog STD springs are 121.5lbs, so I will change them out. The Olds stock regular springs were way under 121lbs.

I will give the ride report early October!
thanks rob you got the HDs for the front too tho right ? do you know the spring rates for the fronts moog std and hd and olds ? if you dont like the HDs in the rear why are you going to put them in front ???

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
back in the late 90s i ordered a set of springs for my Rallye 350. when they ask if i wanted standard or HD, i said HD just thinking thats what would have been original and not knowing the differance. i have never been happy with the harshness of the ride over stock. if i wanted a sports car that would be one thing but all i ever wanted is a fun and comfortable driver.
thanks jensen so its sounding like two against and none for, so far. My car has new springs in the rear (unknown origin) and they feel good, the fronts well they need an upgrade thats why Im looking for opinions
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
thanks rob you got the HDs for the front too tho right ? do you know the spring rates for the fronts moog std and hd and olds ? if you dont like the HDs in the rear why are you going to put them in front ??
The rates for the front are closer to Olds OEM specs.
The front HD springs are 450lbs. The Olds FE2 springs were 435lbs - pretty close.
The convertible is heavier, so I am hoping the ride will not be harsh. Since I had added another 100lbs of options and dynamat, those extra 15lbs should be fine.
The STD Moogs are 358, so they are way too low for FE2 specs. I THINK STD Olds springs were 335lbs.

There was a huge rate range for the rears; more than I imagined.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM

FWIW, I installed Moog 5536 Front / 6321 Rear last summer, and am pleased with both ride, stance and handling... Not sure the spring rates on those but it's available online.

Also installed shocks - KYB KG4513 Front / KG5504 rear; I imagine these are part of the equation

That is on a '70 big block cutlass convertible, not sure if that is an identical application to yours...
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM

I will be installing standard Moog springs this week on a 72 vert. Original springs and some totally ghetto spacers are being replaced. I'll report when done. BTW - went with the variable rates in the rear and love them. Not too stiff, but I'm used to driving a SUV with 20 inch rims on 40 series tires.
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cutty72
I will be installing standard Moog springs this week on a 72 vert. Original springs and some totally ghetto spacers are being replaced. I'll report when done. BTW - went with the variable rates in the rear and love them. Not too stiff, but I'm used to driving a SUV with 20 inch rims on 40 series tires.
All done. Moog springs are in as are Energy Suspension bushings both front and back. Things have tightened up nicely. Before driving at 70 was a white knuckle affair (and I'm African American!) and now she's pretty steady at 85-90. The bushings took the looseness out of the rear - less rear steering and deflection. Overall a good investment and nice improvement. Not miraculous, but she drives like a well sorted out 70's car.

I don't find the ride to be harsh at all. There is no float - that could be perceived as stiff I suppose. Added bonus - a lot less brake dive. The only drawback is the front end is riding a touch high for my tastes.
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM

Very nice to hear - pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
I got mine mostly assembled, just need the wheels on and aligned. My lower bushings were horrible.
Springs went in easliy - surprisingly....
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM

I have a body station wagon springs in the back with the hd big block springs in the front. Drives like a tractor... Just the way i like it