Q-Jet "Not Recommended" on Performer RPM Intake

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2017, 06:03 AM

Q-Jet "Not Recommended" on Performer RPM Intake

So Im looking at the RPM intake for my rebuild. I also wanted to keep my Qjet and have it rebuilt. However, the documentation for the RPM states that Edelbrock does not recommend EGR-style Quadrajets on the RPM intake. Anyone have any experience with this? My carb is from 72 so it is the EGR style. Whats noticeable is that it says its not recommended and not that's it not compatible.

I would think that you could just bypass/disable the egr on the carb but I do not know too much about these carbs.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Maintained

i thought the EGR didn't arrive until 1973 model year?
your 1972 should be non-EGR.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:12 AM

You can't install an EGR valve on the Performer RPM intake. A Q-jet will run just fine. The Performer RPM will accommodate a spread bore or square bore carburetor. Since you would have to delete the EGR valve if you swap to this intake, you would probably want to retune your ignition curve and carburetor jets / rods; however, it wouldn't be necessary.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by scottv442
i thought the EGR didn't arrive until 1973 model year?
your 1972 should be non-EGR.

Ill have to look when I get home. I was reading last night that it was introduced in 72. If non-EGR then problem solved.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can't install an EGR valve on the Performer RPM intake. A Q-jet will run just fine. The Performer RPM will accommodate a spread bore or square bore carburetor. Since you would have to delete the EGR valve if you swap to this intake, you would probably want to retune your ignition curve and carburetor jets / rods; however, it wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks, yes I know you cant install an EGR valve on the RPM. I was more curious why they say its not "recommended" to use an EGR Qjet if one could just delete the EGR valve.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:17 AM

Performer RPM doesn't have EGR provisions.
QJets that came on EGR cars are calibrated with an exceptionally lean part throttle to account for the EGR.
Ergo, putting an unmodified QJet from an EGR car onto a Performer RPM leads to bad times.

As with anything, the carb needs to be tuned to the new build. You can use later carbs, they may just need a bit more work than earlier carbs to run well.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by glamaina
However, the documentation for the RPM states that Edelbrock does not recommend EGR-style Quadrajets on the RPM intake.
What, exactly, is an "EGR-style" Qjet?

The only things I can think of that might be different for a Qjet on a car with EGR is 1) the added timed vacuum port to operate the EGR valve and 2) the fact that the primary metering rods are likely to be lean at part throttle.

Neither of these is much of an issue. You can cap the port if you don't have EGR and you can change the metering rods (as you SHOULD anyway to match the flow characteristics of the new intake). Sounds like more uninformed BS to me.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Performer RPM doesn't have EGR provisions.
QJets that came on EGR cars are calibrated with an exceptionally lean part throttle to account for the EGR.
Ergo, putting an unmodified QJet from an EGR car onto a Performer RPM leads to bad times.

As with anything, the carb needs to be tuned to the new build. You can use later carbs, they may just need a bit more work than earlier carbs to run well.

Thanks that what I assumed. Edelbrock is alluding to stock EGR Qjets but they can be retuned to work with non-EGR intakes.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What, exactly, is an "EGR-style" Qjet?

The only things I can think of that might be different for a Qjet on a car with EGR is 1) the added timed vacuum port to operate the EGR valve and 2) the fact that the primary metering rods are likely to be lean at part throttle.

Neither of these is much of an issue. You can cap the port if you don't have EGR and you can change the metering rods (as you SHOULD anyway to match the flow characteristics of the new intake). Sounds like more uninformed BS to me.

This is exactly what threw me off. Here is the pic notice the asterisk.
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:06 AM

It is just a disclaimer from Edelbrock so you do not remove or disable 73 and up factory emissions and the lack of the exhaust heat riser plate for the heated tubes to operate the choke. Any Quadrajet would need proper performance tuning to be optimal. Electric chokes are an easy retrofit too.

Last edited by GEARMAN69; January 11th, 2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

They are just trying to convince people to buy their terrible Performer 750 cfm carb. Isn't that the worst one of the bunch? I have an EGR QJet on my Performer, tuned like Joe described.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Those Edelbrock AFB style ones are horrible and geeze those horrid adapters over stock Q jet intakes
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM

While we're on the subject of Eldebrock RPM intakes, what fuel line are you guys running from the pump to the carb? Stock 350-4bbl, 455-4bbl, one piece, or a 2-piece line w/filter midway? Pretty sure the intake is a bit taller then the OEM one and trying to put together another order for my build.
thanks,
Doug

Last edited by derone; January 11th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by derone
While we're on the subject of Eldebrock RPM intakes, what fuel line are you guys running from the pump to the carb? Stock 350-4bbl, 455-4bbl, once piece, or a 2-piece line w/filter midway? Pretty sure the intake is a bit taller then the OEM one and trying to put together another order for my build.
thanks,
Doug

If you want a one piece line with flared ends you will have to make your own. I make my own with 3/8 aluminum line works well. I prefer the filter elsewhere for cleaner look. Fram paper in Qjet inlet minus the check valve crap or inline filter before pump
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:42 AM

Suppose I could do that. I'm really wondering if the 455-4bbl line would work on the 350ci, due to the slightly larger dimensions of the 455ci, when using the 350ci RPM intake, and hoping that the line might be slightly longer to compensate. Using a q-jet of course.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Suppose I could do that. I'm really wondering if the 455-4bbl line would work on the 350ci, due to the slightly larger dimensions of the 455ci, when using the 350ci RPM intake, and hoping that the line might be slightly longer to compensate. Using a q-jet of course.
Interesting thought. With stock intakes, the BBO carb sits 1" higher than it does on an SBO, thus that's the difference in fuel line length. I don't know if the RPM carb flange is that much taller than stock on a 350 or not, but you MIGHT be close enough to finesse the line into place.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:56 AM

That's a good point joe
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:44 AM

While we're on the subject of Eldebrock RPM intakes, what fuel line are you guys running from the pump to the carb? Stock 350-4bbl, 455-4bbl, one piece, or a 2-piece line w/filter midway? Pretty sure the intake is a bit taller then the OEM one and trying to put together another order for my build.
thanks,
Doug
i used this line for the carb
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8131

for the carb line to the pump i used is summit part number EDL-81233 , edelbrock braided fuel line kit for small block chevy. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-81233

i had to shorten the line and use the following fitting

90 deg bend -6AN male to 5/8-18 inverted flare male
Part number EAR-AT949096ERL
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at949096erl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1216161349.jpg (2.06 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
1216161444.jpg (2.31 MB, 18 views)
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:17 PM

you carb can easily be converted to electric choke. consider enlarging the idle tubes and idle down channel restriction if running a large camshaft, maybe increase the idle bypass air also. good luck