What HP number am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2010, 10:20 PM

What HP number am I looking at?

No rebuild right now.

Stock 330 with the high compression, 4 heads, stock cam. Should have 320/360 as it sits

Going to be adding HEI (vacuum controled not computer) Edelbrock 7111 manifold, a Edelbrock or Holley 650 CFM carb & headers. Might do roller tip rockers. Whatever car I put it in, will have a full exhaust and most likey, no cats.

Is 340 to 350 a reasonable HP number?

Whatever it is, I'm going to enjoy it for now and rebuild later. Still planing a rebuild of the Alero's engine and that's getting expensive
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
No rebuild right now.

Stock 330 with the high compression, 4 heads, stock cam. Should have 320/360 as it sits
340 HP sounds high, that is 1 hp/ci. If the heads are stock, IMO that number is high. Torque might be close with the high compression.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
No rebuild right now.

Going to be adding HEI (vacuum controled not computer) Edelbrock 7111 manifold, a Edelbrock or Holley 650 CFM carb & headers. Might do roller tip rockers. Whatever car I put it in, will have a full exhaust and most likey, no cats.

Whatever it is, I'm going to enjoy it for now and rebuild later. Still planing a rebuild of the Alero's engine and that's getting expensive
My 65 had a "310 horse" 330 that could not make anything. Blown HG,cracked heads, cracked block, scored walls, etc, etc. Overheated mess.
This question being posed, always seems to hurt peoples feelings when others respond with their answers. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, or be negative, but I feel that you are very high.
Sorry bout that.
There is hope.
1st off, it will not make any difference to most daily drivers. HP is just a number at the very, very tippy TOP of the power curve, it is not what gets you down the road. Torque is.....
2nd, rear wheel hp is more akin to what you will feel in the seat of your pants, if you hold it in low gear. If your pre-72 car said it had 320, it was more like 240 at the rear wheels, when brand new. Factor in ring/bore wear, guide wear, oil buildup on the back of the valves (which reduces port flow dramatically), and state of tune (timing, advance curve, jetting), it will easily be under 200, probably more like 180, at the wheels.

I have no idea of the current condition of your engine, so all of this is my honest speculation.

3rd...Unless you are going to a 1.7 rollers (no not yet! check your valve springs, and retainer to guide clearance before you do that), the 5-7 hp result that a 1.6 roller gives, does not justify the cost of using these on a stock camshaft, with stock springs. Rollers became a necessity with the advent of HIGH spring pressures, reduced top end oiling, and VERY fast acting camshaft lobes. Stock valve gear works very, very well on low lift cams, with light spring pressures that these engines have. See how well factory stock racers do with them.
I can see 100 better places, that will give far better results, to spend several hundred dollars on.

If it were me, I would get it in a nice car you like, and work on the tune. Have the HEI curved, work with the jetting, do a ram air, block the heat risers and such while you enjoy it. Maybe put in a set of decent gears that will still allow you to cruise, but help acceleration.

By then, you will need to do paint, brakes, suspension, and interior!
My Opinions
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; December 9th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.