Valve Covers That Clear A/C Brackets

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Valve Covers That Clear A/C Brackets

Ok, I'm rebuilding a 350 in a 72 Cutlass, that has air, and would like to replace the valve covers, mainly so I don't have to clean the originals! I'm stepping up to an adjustable valve train, would like to have baffled covers, and provisions for a PVC. What are my options here? I'd really like to have some M/T wrinkle paint covers for it, but I have yet to see any. Suggestions?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Past Administrator

You should be able to get taller valve covers from a performance outfit like Jegs or Summit Racing. They both have catalogues and websites. There is a guy over at Realoldspower.com that has just finished making some custom ones. Check over there, they are very nice.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM

Shoot, Summit & Jegs know me by first name! I've seen what's available, just that the AC bracket is so low, not sure what covers will clear. I'll be doing an adjustable valve train, and probably roller rockers, so, not sure if baffels are an option or not. Any clue which covers will work for sure? And thanks for the RealOldsPower tip, I'll check there too...
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I went through the same thing on my '71 350. Couldn't find any aftermarket valve covers that clear the AC bracket. CompCams Roller-tip Rockers won't clear the baffles in the stock valve covers. Ended up Dremelling out the baffles and using the stock valve covers. Used new grommets and haven't had any blow-by problems yet.

C.J.
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM

That's what I was afraid of, and was considering using the roller tips. I've seen ones advertise in Mondello's catalog that supposedly clear, but there those were without baffles, so guess that's the reason! Yeah, might do the same thing, just hack the factory ones. What did you do for a PVC? Leave it in the stock valve cover location? Do you have an aftermarket intake? You tapped it off where?
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Stock PCV. New gromets both sides. No leaks. Looks stock.

C.J.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Cool, think I'll do the same. Either that, or go for some of those Cal Custom chrome jobs without the baffles. They're cheap enough to where if they don't work, I won;t cry over the money spent! Thanks!
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Past Administrator

I don't understand why but I used the comp cams roller tip rockers on my 455 and I didn't have to knock out the baffles on my valve covers. I got the covers out of an early 70's engine in a 98 because they had the oldsmobile script on them and I cleaned them and had them chromed. Maybe the baffles are smaller????
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Maybe you used a think valve cover gasket? I know there are think ones out there to help with clearance issues...
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Now you have got me wondering . I am going to have to look and see, the engine is on a stand right now so it shouldn't be too hard, if I can remember
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I don't understand why but I used the comp cams roller tip rockers on my 455 and I didn't have to knock out the baffles on my valve covers. I got the covers out of an early 70's engine in a 98 because they had the oldsmobile script on them and I cleaned them and had them chromed. Maybe the baffles are smaller????
Because it's a BIG block and has BIG valve covers! JUST KIDDING!

I had clearance issues on only one rocker on one side (I forget which) but Dremelled out both sides. I thought about thicker gaskets, but I was afraid of clearance problems later.

Heck...try fitting hem with the baffles in. If they won't clear, get 'em outa there.

C.J.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Past Administrator

Red, I like your answer, you know ther IS no replacement for displacement! But yes, it is better to be safe and really, there isn't that much oil on the top end in my experience to cause problems without the baffles, a good pcv valve and breather does the trick nicely.
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

Well I looked at the engine and found that there were baffles in the covers and I was using the neoprene gaskets which are not extra thick so, ??????? who know.