transmission filter 1964 88

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM

transmission filter 1964 88

I want to change my filter on my 64. Since I have a complete record of all repairs on the car and by looking at the pan I am confident the tranny filter has not been changed. It has 81K original and documented miles. I changed out the majority of the fluid ( radiator change and drained pan) last spring.
I can just imagine the filter condition. I have heard the filters are $$$. From what I read the filters use to be readily available and inexpensive but things have changed.
Should I change the filter, should I leave it be, will changing it open new problems any thoughts would be great.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Oldsdruid

If the fluid is clean and the trans works OK (or as OK as a Slim Jim can work), I'd be inclined to leave it alone. You're right, those filters have become scarce high-dollar pieces. Try Fatsco or Edwards Transmission and see if they have any left in stock.

They surface on ebay occasionally but tend to go stupid.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM

It took me a long time to find my filter (an old timer gave me a new one) and prior to that fastco was more $ then I was willing to spend, they told me they did that because they need to save them for their own tranny work??? Not sure if that was true or not or were they having a bad day.

Lets us know if you find a stash of them.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM

Wait for one on ebay and try to get it at a price you are comfortable paying. The change is relatively easy and should not lead to other probs. Of course, along with the filter you will need a pan gasket!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks
all these ideas make me feel a little less stressed.
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM

If things get real bad you can try the following as a last resort. I did this just to have something on-hand when I could not find one. Then after I put it in an old timer gave me a NOS one. So it is in the car and works well. Keep this in mind because the filters are becoming extinct - I think that is about any day now unfortunately.

Okay I took the old filter out and lightly hit all the edges with my bench top grinding wheel. This allowed me to separate the filter at the point where the two halves were folded over to create one piece out of two halves. Now with the clam shell opened I removed all the original filter material and cleaned all the metal pieces inside. It was very hard to clean it all but with light abrasives and lacquer thinner I got the part spic and span.

I was not able to replace the filter material like it was originally but with the use of some new brass screening and some modern filter material I created a new filter that should be acceptable. It will be better than nothing at all but clearly not as good as an original one.

After putting the setup back together I took the two halves and tacked them together with some welds. Then I used my solider gun to lightly add a thin “sweat” of lead around the edges to seal it all up.

Good Luck,
Ben
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks Ben.
I am sure everyone has a wish list we all plan for the winter dormant time and spring. I want to use the winter to work on things that take time and a touch of skill. The carb is now off and waiting for a soak and rebuild. As soon as I can assure a good gasket for the trany pan i will drop the filter and take a close look at it. I have the equipment to do what you did and a few months to get it done.
The trany seems ok now. I replaced the rear bearings and drained the rear end..much quieter. The shifting seems right although when I slow down @10-15mph and turn onto a side street and then excelerate the trany seems to loose grip. ( do not know if that made sense) . I appreciate your idea
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM

I forgot to say that I made/cut my own gasket - very easy and better then using a NOS one that is old and dry...

The winter is good for the projects you mention but I had to get a heater for the garage so me and my father don't freeze.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks Ben
No problem making my own gasket. I have a heater but takes too long to get garage warm. Wife has promised me a new radiant heater from santa....should be quicker and better on the lungs. Spent 2 hours yesterday looking for a filter!! Will always keep looking but seems your plan is the only sure thing.
George..."64 dynamic
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM

I don't mind the hunt for parts but this part in particular is just real limited.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM

bjtstarfire-

I was referred to this thread recently, as I am in the same scenario as you are about a filter. I have three transmissions and will just remove one of the filters and MAKE another. The question I have for you is what kind of modern material did you use inside the filter???
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM

I just went to my local parts place when they were not busy and had the parts guy pull several newer trans filters off the self and I started looking them over for which one would be best for my use.

I ended up selecting a plastic type filter for like 10 bucks that had a material in it that was flat vs. the accordion style in the original filter, the original style obviously has a larger surface area for filtering but…..

Remember that I used fine brass screening to sandwich the new material between on the inside and fastened the brass to the inside with some spots of lead using a high temp soldering iron and I used a bead of Permatex auto trans gasket maker on the material to have a good seal to the inside metal parts…

Does that help?
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM

bjtstarfire-

Sorry for the late post-but yes that definitely helps. That is my weekend project. I have been searcing for that darn filter with no luck. So it looks like this is the only alternative...since I have three trans maybe I will make all three filters to have several backups so the next several generations of my family can use them...
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by trackz man
bjtstarfire-

Sorry for the late post-but yes that definitely helps. That is my weekend project. I have been searcing for that darn filter with no luck. So it looks like this is the only alternative...since I have three trans maybe I will make all three filters to have several backups so the next several generations of my family can use them...
If you're looking for a filter for the Rotohydramatic 5 in your Cutlass, Fatsco has them.

http://www.fatsco.com/
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM

Joe-

I e-mailed fastco and they do not have a filter for the 10 series. Do you know if the 5 and 10 filters are interchangeable? I would think the size would be smaller on the 5 and bigger on the 10? Am I correct in assuming this....