SB: Thoughts on Power Level for Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

SB: Thoughts on Power Level for Transmission Rebuild

I'm just about to start rebuilding a 2004R for use with my '72 350 and I want to be proactive in the rebuild and think ahead to possible future power increases. If I were to mod my stock 350 by adding flat pistons, a mild cam, big valves, some head porting/polishing, RPM intake, a 4150-style EZ EFI, electronic ignition, shorty headers, and 2.5" X-pipe exhaust what power levels do you think I would reach? Also, if anybody knows, at the above wishlist power level, what mods should I do to the 200R4 to ensure its survival? My plan is not to ultimately have a dragstrip racer, but to have an awesome touring cruiser - fun at the stoplight, cruise at 100 at relatively low RPM, and a top speed of ~140 (reachable <2 miles.) Thanks for any opinions.
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Just curious, but where will you be "Cruising" at 100 MPH? The "mild cam" will limit, HP, probably 325 +/-
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Just my opinion, but ditch the shorty headers. Not much gain over manifolds. Long tube headers make a difference, though. The 2004r is a good trans but definitely upgrade with hardened or billet forward drum, hardened sun shell, chromolly shaft, etc. Also make sure the TV is set right or the tranny won't last long. And are you maybe planning a trip to Bonneville for the 140+ runs? I gotta make it out there some time!

Tom
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

OK, so if I build the trans to handle up to 350 horses I should be OK. Thanks for the replies. BTW, there are plenty of open road events around to cruise at whatever speed you feel comfortable. But honestly, last time i drove from Ohio to DC through WVa and western MD, the average speed was about 85-90 mph - and I was getting passed frequently...

Last edited by adis; July 6th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Just in case you hadn't thought of it, be sure to add a good transmission cooler.
Putting 300+ horsepower and the extra torque especially through a transmission originally designed for under 200 means it will be working hard when you wind up the motor.

Roger.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

RGR that! just curious, will putting a trans cooler in front of my rad affect the rads performance significantly? I ask cuz in my C6 the intercooler for the supercharger blocking the rad, coupled with the increase in temps with the long tubes has given me all kinds of heat management problems. The cutlass runs hot, partially brcause of air flow through the rad, but mostly for some other (unknown) reason (prob tune or possibly blocked coolant passages in the block.) needing to keep the trans fluid cool I wonder if there is a good way to mount the cooler to have as minimal effect on the rad as possible.?.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM

It shouldn't be an issue. A trans cooler is not very large in comparison to your radiator. If you look at the size of the condenser for A/C, it covers the whole radiator and big blocks still kept cool running with air. As long as your radiator is in good condition, you should have no problem. You could run some water wetter in your coolant if it worries you, though.
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by ihengineer76
It shouldn't be an issue. A trans cooler is not very large in comparison to your radiator. If you look at the size of the condenser for A/C, it covers the whole radiator and big blocks still kept cool running with air. As long as your radiator is in good condition, you should have no problem. You could run some water wetter in your coolant if it worries you, though.
Absolutely.

Maybe you should add a heavy duty radiator to your to do list, if your engine is making big block numbers it will also be making big block heat that needs to be dealt with.
Put your trans cooler where the fan will be pulling lots of air through for optimum cooling. I'd put it level with the bottom of the radiator in the middle if running a water pump mounted fan.

Roger.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:45 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Agreed. I've already switched to a 4 core rad with a shroud and fan clutch. The motor mods are actually last on a long list, so I won't be producing any "BB numbers" for a while.Thanks for the replies guys. This will help me decide what to spend money on.
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adis
RGR that! just curious, will putting a trans cooler in front of my rad affect the rads performance significantly? I ask cuz in my C6 the intercooler for the supercharger blocking the rad, coupled with the increase in temps with the long tubes has given me all kinds of heat management problems. The cutlass runs hot, partially brcause of air flow through the rad, but mostly for some other (unknown) reason (prob tune or possibly blocked coolant passages in the block.) needing to keep the trans fluid cool I wonder if there is a good way to mount the cooler to have as minimal effect on the rad as possible.?.
Your vette is running hotter because the intercooler is heating up the air passing through your radiator. It's like putting a heater in front of you instead of a fan when running on a treadmill.

As for the Cutlass, I would direct your attention @ what's making your engine run hot before you worry about the trans fluid temps. If you valves aren't pinging, I would replace the thermostat with a new one, 160-180 stat and check for cracked hoses and leaks in the cooling system.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Yeah it's annoying because some of the people who had the same tuner I used install their blowers don't have heat problems, while others like me do. Ive been trying to think of a way to separate the air flow or optimize it - front fascia opening going to the intercooler, under car air dam going to radiator, but there just isn't enough room under there without basically redesigning the whole front end of my vette. if i drive like grandma and keep the car moving - im good, but with 700 hp at the wheels who drives like grandma...

the cutlass got a new 160 tstat not long ago. but the engine has had overheating problems since I bought it 17 years ago. once about 15 years ago, i replaced the freeze plugs in the block in preparation for a long road trip (when I went on terminal leave from the Army) and some of the coolant passages were blocked with sludge: rust from the plugs, but also what looked like a fine sand packed in there - like radiator bloom but to an extreme. anyway, i figure that when it finally comes time for the engine rebuild, i'll find that the block will need some serious cleaning.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM

What year is your engine? Mine had a 76 sbo and the egr went to the wrong place. Good on gas bad on heat! Very simple fix. Dont know if you have the same thing going on.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adis
the cutlass got a new 160 tstat not long ago. but the engine has had overheating problems since I bought it 17 years ago. once about 15 years ago, i replaced the freeze plugs in the block in preparation for a long road trip (when I went on terminal leave from the Army) and some of the coolant passages were blocked with sludge: rust from the plugs, but also what looked like a fine sand packed in there - like radiator bloom but to an extreme. anyway, i figure that when it finally comes time for the engine rebuild, i'll find that the block will need some serious cleaning.
Kind of sounds like the previous owner had a leaky radiator and used the copper sand looking stuff you pour into the radiator while the car is running to clog up the radiator leaks.

You could try water wetter but it's usually only good at dropping water temps by 10 degree's but that's in car without thermostats.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

My SBO is a '72. Or at least I think it is - I just found out that one of my 7A heads had been replaced with a 7 head. I didn't know about this when I bought the car from the original owner. Who knows what else had been changed before I bought it? Maybe there is my problem, could there be geometry problems with the valve train causing overheating...
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:33 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

People pour sand into their radiators!?! Wow...
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Is your 'Vette stock?, if it left Bowling Green with a blower the cooling system will be designed to cope with it.
Maybe you need a recored radiator for the 'Vette as well.

I know I sound like a scratched record (remember vinyl? - I can remember shellac!) when it comes to radiators, but I keep coming across posts on this and many other forums that don't want to hear they have a bad radiator and seek other solutions.

If you have a bad radiator no amount of bad aid fixes will cure overheating.

Roger.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Adis,

I live in Alexandria, VA (just over the bridge from DC) and have done a few steps already on my 70 Supreme that you mention in your post. Here's the car:

driverside2.jpg

It's got the original 350 motor. The TH350 was swaped out for a built up 2004r. The trans is a stage 1 (up to 500 hp) built by Lonnie at Extreme automatics:

http://www.extremeautomatics.com/tra...ons/2004r.html

The Trans was installed by a shop about 45 minutes from me:

http://www.countytransmissions.com/

The owner's name is Hampton. Very happy with the service and work he does. Works on lots of muscle car transmissions. If you go to him mention my name (Joe Lincoln) and the 2004R he installed im my Supreme.

Then I had Brian Trick (507Olds on several of the Olds sites) build me a 3.91 posi rear to replace the 2.56 peg leg stocker. Also upgraded the rear suspension parts at the same time (Jegs adj uppers, Jegs adj lowers, Hotchkis support bars).

Then I bought a set of American Racing Headers (1 3/4 x 3 Stainless Steel) from Smitty (also on all the Olds sites). The headers and 2 1/2 X pipe & tail pipes are all being installed now.

fullexhaust.jpg

I also upgraded to an alum rad with a built in Trans cooler but it sounds like you have the radiator part covered.

I have a post on the headers install going. Will update it with all the pics when it's done. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Good luck with your car and welcome to the DC area. I've done all the leg work already for parts and work around here so I could probably help you out. That said I'm hoping to move to Va Bch (200 miles from here) in the near future.

-Joe

Last edited by 71 OLDS; July 12th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:12 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Joe, the Cutlass looks good I like the sky blue and white combo. Is it factory? Would love to take a Look at your trans set up. Ironic story, I had my exhaust done in Cincinnati about a year ago. I just drove around my parents neighborhood looking for a shop, I saw one with a '70 Buick GS and maybe an '86 turbo Regal out front and figured that was my place. They installed my shorty headers and the Pypes X exhaust, and I promptly took the Cutlass and moved to DC. Fast forward to now and I'm looking to swap in a 2004r and I see that one of the premier builders is in Cincinnati. I look up the address and see that its tve same place that did my exhaust. I guess that its the shop that Extreme runs aside from building awesome auto transmissions. If I had only known at the time!