Ready to start 1972 350 4bbl auto trans oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Chris

Ready to start 1972 350 4bbl auto trans oldsmobile

Hi everyone! Well it looks like the day is finally here! I started taking the car apart in 2011 (!) and im finally ready to start the engine. Some of you who may have helped me along the way might remember that I took the engine and trans out, and I did a little work to the engine, such as changing most of the gaskets, timing chain, water pump, fuel pump, rebuild carb, etc. I also installed new, cap, rotor, points/condenser, coil, wires and plugs. I'd like to ask what is the best way to go about starting this car? I'm not really sure where to even start with the timing, dwell, carb settings, etc. The distributor did not come out, so am I in a good rough starting place, for timing and dwell? I know the chassis service manual explains procedures, but they're assuming that the car was running recently. I plan to start her up the weekend of sept 28, so any advice is always appreciated! Also, since the tank and all the fuel lines are brand new, is there any specific way to prime the system before I start, or should I just modify a gas can and run that way to ensure the motor is running? Belts all seem tight, everything seems ready and safe, although I do have a little scraping of the fan with one blade on the bottom of the radiator shroud, when I turn it by hand. Leaving the AC out for now. Also, I have a battery that's about five years old in my Nissan Xterra every day driver. Which tests well, and starts the truck fine. Would this battery be acceptable to use in the cutlass? Thanks so Much!!!
Chris
Old September 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

Did you do anything to the transmission ? Need to make sure there is fluid in it. If you never removed the distributor the timing should be pretty close as is. You can get a can of Gumout carburetor cleaner and shoot a five second shot into the carb and it should start. You might have to do it a few times but the fuel pump should get some gas by then. I have actually run an engine for a minute or two just on the Gumout.

You really should have two people present. One inside the car and someone outside looking for leaks etc.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:47 PM
Chris

Hi Bill! Thank you for your reply. I actually have to drain some fluid out of the trans as I apparently didn't drain outbas much as I thought I did and it overflowed when I was refilling. (That's in another post).
Thank you
chris
Old September 23rd, 2019, 04:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BillK
and someone outside looking for leaks etc.
Not to mention holding the fire extinguisher!