Noise comming from Flywheel / TC area

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Noise comming from Flywheel / TC area

Im sorry I have not posted recently, I got a new job and I am not able to play with my phone as much as I could as the last place I worked. But I have gotten my 72 olds 350 motor running which is in my cadillac but..... There is an issue (of course so close but so far away lol) There is a loud grinding type noise coming from the torque converter and flywheel area. I have a 700R4 tranny I used an adapter plate (which im pretty sure might be the issue) to bolt it up. I used the torque converter that came with the tranny when I received it. The other issue is the motor is hard to turn by hand either with a wrench on the front of a flywheel turner. It is extremly difficult to turn it over and when I start it the starter sounds like it is having a hard time. Any ideas? I was thinking I put something on wrong possibly the adapter plate or I tightened something to much and causeing it to put such a strain on everything. Also i have not had it running for more then 2 minutes becuase it seems like it is getting hot very fast, I have a temp gauge hooked up and have been keeping an eye on it but I have not let it run very long due to the noise comming from the flywheel and tc area. Thank again you guys and gals if there are any on here are always a great help. THANKS!!
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Bolts hitting somewhere???
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM

But I am not sure what bolts it would rub against. Or it could be rubbing against the adapter plate.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by oldsatheart
Im sorry I have not posted recently, I got a new job and I am not able to play with my phone as much as I could as the last place I worked. But I have gotten my 72 olds 350 motor running which is in my cadillac but..... There is an issue (of course so close but so far away lol) There is a loud grinding type noise coming from the torque converter and flywheel area. I have a 700R4 tranny I used an adapter plate (which im pretty sure might be the issue) to bolt it up. I used the torque converter that came with the tranny when I received it. The other issue is the motor is hard to turn by hand either with a wrench on the front of a flywheel turner. It is extremly difficult to turn it over and when I start it the starter sounds like it is having a hard time. Any ideas? I was thinking I put something on wrong possibly the adapter plate or I tightened something to much and causeing it to put such a strain on everything. Also i have not had it running for more then 2 minutes becuase it seems like it is getting hot very fast, I have a temp gauge hooked up and have been keeping an eye on it but I have not let it run very long due to the noise comming from the flywheel and tc area. Thank again you guys and gals if there are any on here are always a great help. THANKS!!
sounds like flywheel bolts too long? or Converter bolts too long if you put them in pointing toward the back of the block instead of toward the trans?
If you didnt change flywheel or flywheel bolts then the converter bolts are the most likely problem!
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:31 AM

I used the bolts that came with the converter and don't they only go in one way? Just the three bolts that hold the flywheel to.the converter. The noise isn't consistant its on off on off on off but quickly if you catch my drift. Like something is warped and only rubbing in one spot. Could it be possible that I put the tranny on to tight? Or didn't seat the troque converter right?
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Any metal filings/shavings showing up? Torque converter seated in the trans properly?
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM

I don't think so I haven't seen any. When I was attaching the tranny to the motor when it was out of the car the first time I did it I was unable to turn the motor over then I loosed it and put a few spacers in and then I could turn it over by hand. Could that have anything to do with it?
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM

I might have discovered the issue I was reading the instructions for the adapter plate and I forgot to put the spacers in between the fly and TC. That could be it?
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsatheart
That could be it?
Ohhhhhhhh Yeah.

That could be it.

Like I always say: "When all else fails, read the instructions."

- Eric
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM

LOL now I just wish I wasn't working so I could fix the problem and take it for.a.ride.
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM

well the good news is I dont think its the flywheel tc area anymore. I disconnected the flywheel from the tc and the noise was still there. Comming from the lower end sounds like a rod bearing....Wonderful one thing after another with this motor. I got it from Marshall Machine in skowhegan maine I will be contacting them tommorrow to see what were going to do about it. Either way the motor has to be pulled out again, and the best part is im losing my storage for it, where I did all the work on it. So either everything is going on hold for awhile or going on craigslist. arg

I will keep everyone updated to see whats going to happen. Thanks for all the input.
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Well they said try and isolate the sound to see if its a rod bearing. And that they would fix it which means pulling the motor and sending it back. Arg. This weekend I'm gunna check the oil for metal shavings.