Location of engine Identification Numbers

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Question

Hey everyone, I own a 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale, I really love the car.

I need some help in locating the engine ID #'s, I called Olds because I was having a problem picking up a v-belt, I kept getting one that was 2" so short. Olds informed me that it sounds as if my engine has been replaced. Due to the fact that my alternator is on the drivers side of the engine compartment. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find them. I've had a number of friends look at my engine and I'm confused, I've been told a 350 Rocket, 301 and 307. As you can see my friends haven't been much help.

If I can find these numbers it would be great help in getting parts for my engine. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Banned

Jeff,
If your car has air-conditioning the alt should be on the drivers side of the car if it has an Olds engine.

If it is an Olds engine the oil fill should be a tube with the oil cap on the right / front of the engine just to the left of the A/C Compressor. In the flat spot that this tube is located in (on the front top of the engine block) there will be a series of numbers cast into the metal. Give me those numbers and I will be able to tell you what engine is in your car. If it has a Chevy or Pontiac Engine I will tell you where the casting numbers are located later.

FYI Olds engines for 1978 88's are 260cid, 307cid, 350cid and 403cid. All of the Olds engines look the same. GM also installed the Chevy 305cid and Pontiac 301cid engines that year. The Chevy engine will have the oil filler cap in one of the valve covers and the exhaust manifolds curve down under the spark plugs on each side. The Pontiac engine will have the intake manifold raised up off the engine block. There will be a space under the intake and a cover over the lifter valley. It is possible that some one has replaced your engine with a big block Olds engine (400cid, 425cid or 455cid). These engines are about two inches wider/taller than the small block Olds engines listed above. They look just like a small block except they take up a lot more room in the engine bay. There where also some cars with the Buick 231 and 252cid V6 engines.
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Try http://www.ucalgary.ca/~csimpson/TheOldsZone.html in the tech section he has some great pictures on the where and what of head and block ID.

Good luck!

C.J.
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Banned

texasred,
Nice site. I have not seen this site before.
Thanks for the link.
John
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Jeff, I owned a '77 Delta 88 once for about three years in the early to mid 80's. My family loved it, it had the 350 engine which was more than enough for the car. Those cars are very nicely appointed and well laid out. Good luck in your search.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:45 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

jd

I spend my nights off either working on my Cutlass or Googling anything Oldsmobile...I think I'm better at Googling...