Old July 27th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Just in case you'd rather be blown....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=supercharger
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator

What, no blower and carbs?
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:02 PM

I believe that guy was on ROP a few years ago. Went by Blowerwhine I think? Better have a real good bottom end to run one of those.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

That intake is just the usual Offy single plane dual quad manifold milled down with a blower mounting plate bolted to it. This is the normal way that Olds blower manifolds are made. Hampton and BDS both offer these intakes.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
I believe that guy was on ROP a few years ago. Went by Blowerwhine I think? Better have a real good bottom end to run one of those.
Two bolt mains and even other stock stuff works fine if you keep the boost reasonable and don't hammer it every time you hit the key... blown engines make nice drivers with the right components.
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by krooser
Two bolt mains and even other stock stuff works fine if you keep the boost reasonable and don't hammer it every time you hit the key... blown engines make nice drivers with the right components.
"Two bolt mains" You sound like a SBC guy. So you are speaking from experience? How many have you built? Why even do something like this if you can't pound on it? I know a couple guys who had them on BBCs........it was kinda like giggle gas.......it's addictive so you use it more & more. Hard on bottom ends for sure.
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Past Administrator

"Once you tried it, you can't quite."
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
"Two bolt mains" You sound like a SBC guy. So you are speaking from experience? How many have you built? Why even do something like this if you can't pound on it? I know a couple guys who had them on BBCs........it was kinda like giggle gas.......it's addictive so you use it more & more. Hard on bottom ends for sure.
So every supercharged engine on the road is made for running with the hammer down and nothing else? Really?

So the thousands of factory supercharged cars produced over the last 20 years from outfits like Buick, Pontiac, Ford, Mercedes, Lexus are nothing but hot rods intended to race stop light to stop light?

Did you ever think that maybe a few responsible drivers actually bought these cars and drove them in a sane fashion? A mild blown engine is a joy to drive... smooth, responsive and pretty good on fuel IF you keep you hoof outta it.

There are many street driven supercharged vintage sports cars out there running Roots-type blowers from Jackson and other mfgs. They are available for MG, Triumph, Rover and other makes... even Miata's for God's sake. No big engine mods needed if you keep the boost to a reasonable level.

Do some research... suppliers like Dyer's, BDS, Rick Dean and others all will tell you that you can run stock parts up to about 8 lbs. of boost... more than that and you need to spend more $$$.

And, yes, I have put a blown engine together... a lowly 354 Chrysler Hemi. You may have heard of them...

I used good parts in the build... I had a decent budget. But I built it without maxing out a credit card... I bought some used stuff and made it work. Bought new when it made sense. Sold a lot of my old stuff on ebay to finance the build and paid cash.

You may understand some of this...

'56 Chrysler 354 industrial block .+060. TWO BOLT MAINS!
'55 "Triple Nickle" heads (what the Donovan 417 heads are based on)... 99cc's. Stock ports. Milodon stainless valves and head studs.
Venolia forged pistons with Total Seal rings.
Clay Smith custom ground blower cam. Clay Smith springs, retainers and 7 degree locks. Installed 4 degrees advanced.
Mopar LA roller timing set.
King bearings.
Stock Chrysler oil pump and pan.
Stock 354 rods... polished beams... shot peened... ARP bolts.
Milodon main studs.
Vintage NOS Cragar blower intake. Vintage blow-off valve bought from Darrell Gwyinn's personal collection.
OEM 6-71 large bore supercharger removed from a 60's era Dodge truck by yours truly (I bought three of 'em for $20.00 each).
Blower converted to gas, rotors triple pinned, case machined etc. by Rick Dean.
Dyer's Blower Service BBC drive kit modified to fit.

Just because you drag race doesn't mean you have all the answers. I have dirt stock car in my shop... and another chassis on the way. I drag raced at Great Lakes Dragaway and US 30 likely before you were born... 1965. I owned, drove and built stock cars for 20 years. I have eight years in the auto racing promoting biz and I currently promote at a local dirt track near my home. My friend's '62 409 is coming in my shop this winter for an engine rebuild.

I've been around race cars since I was 10 years old... used to help my brother with his SCCA Alfa Romeo. I've been doing this stuff for 54 years... there are a lot of us old guys who are pretty savvy on racing and performance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
strombergs on Hemi.jpg (53.8 KB, 9 views)
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM

And here I thought we were talking about Oldsmobiles? Oh and by the way I turn 63 in 2 weeks.