How can I improve?

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM

How can I improve?

I have a stock '67 330, 2V carb, aftermarket dual exhaust. I'm guessing a low compression engine. The head gasket(s) are leaking so I need to take it down to short-block config to repair. It looks like the water pump and timing cover has been re-sealed, dunno if the timing chain and gears have been replaced. It runs well considering the carb leaks and all. The last owner's uncle, a "master mechanic" rebuilt the carb and it spills quite a lot of fuel.

I'm in a high MAW region here! Can I get better performance, meaning more HP, with a new cam and a 4V carb/manifold? I will be installing a 200-4r trans so that will give better low end as well as high end gearing.

What direction do I need to go? Keeping the existing engine can I get a noticeable gain with cam/intake/carb upgrade? Or will it just look better?

I can get a factory aluminum intake with Q-jet from a local boneyard off an '83 Olds engine, will this give any improvement?

I want to stay with smallblock configuration so will it be best to go with larger displacement? I can get a 403 engine from the same boneyard for a decent price as well. I'm not looking for a weekend racer, just good driveability and good response when I step on the loud pedal. Can anyone give real world experience with 330-2V vs. factory 4V? 330 cid vs. 403 cid performance? Thanks!

Last edited by cjsdad; January 11th, 2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
How can I improve?
Get more sleep. Drink less. Cut out between meal snacks. Get more exercise.

You know. The usual.
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM

That is where it all starts ! - hold on to your wallet !
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Keeping the existing engine can I get a noticeable gain with cam/intake/carb upgrade?
Yes.

I can get a factory aluminum intake with Q-jet from a local boneyard off an '83 Olds engine, will this give any improvement?
The intake would fit and would be alot lighter ( if it's aluminum ) but you can't use the carb because it's a computer controlled one.

I want to stay with smallblock configuration so will it be best to go with larger displacement?
Cubes are always a good thing for a street motor.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Your actually better off with a BBO if your changing engines. There are less expensive exhaust options available and far more torque for dollars spent. The amount of work in changing is the same.

The 330 you have is probably of the low comp variety (9:1) and changing the cam, intake, and carb would give you some improvement. I would spring for a used Edelbrock Performer and run a Rochester on it.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DoubleV
The intake would fit and would be alot lighter ( if it's aluminum ) but you can't use the carb because it's a computer controlled one.
But of course, any Qjet will bolt to it. Just be sure it's an A4 intake, not an A5 (an 83 should have an A4). The A4 will have ports comparable to a stock cast iron intake (but as noted, weighs about 1/3 as much). The A5 has restrictive runners that only match the peanut ports on the 7A heads. Don't pay more that $25 or so for an A4. If the price is much more, get a used E-brock intake instead.
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Get the 403 and the aluminum intake off the 307. If the 403 has good compression and oil pressure, add new gaskets, good timing set, cam from Cutlassefi AND your 330 heads. It will be a nice strong combo.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
But of course, any Qjet will bolt to it. Just be sure it's an A4 intake, not an A5 (an 83 should have an A4). The A4 will have ports comparable to a stock cast iron intake (but as noted, weighs about 1/3 as much). The A5 has restrictive runners that only match the peanut ports on the 7A heads. Don't pay more that $25 or so for an A4. If the price is much more, get a used E-brock intake instead.
Thanks Joe, your knowledge is encyclopedia worthy. How do I tell if the intake is an A4 or A5? Is there a casting on it somewhere? And if so, where?

The Q-jet I looked at is definitely not computer controlled, and I have always liked Q-jets so I like that alternative.

The carb/intake I looked at was dusty but not grungy. What engine would carb # 17080260 be used for?
IMG_20140102_143018_706_zps61475364.jpg

If a 403 would give a significant bump in power I will probably get the carb/intake now for the 330 freshen up and then build the 403 to install next winter.

Next item, do ALL 403 blocks have casting # 557265 4B?
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:16 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, that carb number is from a 1980 Pontiac. 80 is the year they switched to computer controlled stuff but some of the earlier built 80's still had the non computer stuff still.

All 403's are the same.

Here's a pic of were to find the intake number;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
A4 intake.jpg (13.5 KB, 21 views)
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:00 AM

You seen to be going to a lot of trouble and expense to get driveability and throttle response. Especially if that is the original 330 I would just keep it and do some upgrades to get a little more pep. If you are going to change engines go for something other than a 403, 455's are always nice The 403 is a low compression smogger the money spent to change that would be better spent on a different engine, IMO.
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Administrator

With the 403 in a 67, you will still have the SBO header issues. Imho if your going to mess with another small block you might as well build the 330.
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:46 PM

I have tried the search function and it kinda chokes on "403". I guess it is too few characters to search properly or something.

Anyway, I read threads as far back as 2005 without finding any real info about the 403 engine. I learned a little bit, like they have webbed main bearing bosses which some contend makes them a poor candidate for building. Other than that I learned very little. Most people just regurgitate "get a 455!" I don't want a 455! I have done the belly button thing when I had my '70 Camaro with a BBC.

Like I mentioned above, I have a '67 Cutlass Convertible, not a 442 or a Supreme, just a low-po 330 (low compression but not a smogger) Cutty with a Jet-A-Way two-speed. I want to make a nice well mannered cruiser, not a street-strip contender. Can anyone give real facts about what can or cannot be expected from a 403? I can get a rebuildable engine for cheap. I will more than likely keep exhaust manifolds for the simplicity and noise factor. But that is negotiable. I already have a TH-2004R to put in it for better gearing.

I am in the "bench racing" stage of my build so gathering as much info as I can. I like the idea of a larger displacement SBO. Please give me pro's and con's on the 403.

Last edited by cjsdad; January 19th, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Ben

Where are you located? There are deals to be had depending where you are.
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Where are you located? There are deals to be had depending where you are.
I am in the East Mountains of Albuquerque. Yeah, there are lots of deals out there but I have more time than money so a slow rebuild/refresh is gonna be my speed.
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Your original post said a new transmission and rear end gears are in the picture too. That will make a big difference in the car and may help you decide on what you really want out of the engine itself. Well, after fixing the leaky carb....
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Your original post said a new transmission and rear end gears are in the picture too. That will make a big difference in the car and may help you decide on what you really want out of the engine itself. Well, after fixing the leaky carb....
Correct, I already have the trans and I need to rebuild it too but more engine is always better, right!