engine mounts 303 350 swap

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM

engine mounts 303 350 swap

I know there are folks here that won't approve of this but my checkbook has limits.
I have spent the last 2 years on my '53 Olds 98. It has the 303 in it.
Anyway, a month after it gets out of paint/body I have either cracked a head or blown a head gasket because it's blowing out coolant steam thru the blowby pipe. No coolant shows up in the pan tho.
To rebuild this 303 will cost several thousand bucks. Merry Christmas - right?

I can get a decent 350 SB for about $1500 tho. I'm thinking of installing it until I get enough $$ for the rebuild. I'm not too worried about keeping it original either..it's just an old 4-door - but it is COOL!

I can't figure out how to install the newer 350 since the 303 has the front motor mounts. Has anyone swapped a newer engine for one of these old front mount motors?

I know it's been done but I can't find any info.

All help is appreciated!

thanks,
Casey
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If you are near Chicago I know of a running 79 olds 350 for $300 or so.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you have done the car original, there is no way I would do this. You are going to have to replace the engine and transmission since I doubt there is anyway to couple the old hydramatic to the 350. By the time you get done with all the fabrication, it will be difficult to put the car back to stock and you will probably have spent enough to partially rebuild the 303. If you are really building a street rod and are not concerned about resale, the 350 is probably the way to go. I have overseen the restoration of a 54 Super 88 for a friend of mine. When we got the car it smoked like a mesquito fogging machine. I had to mechanic pull the heads and after looking at the cylinders, we decided to just rebuild the heads. The car will smoke a little until it wams up. My point is you might be able to just rebuild the top end. Since there is no water in the oil, and if the engine has decent oil pressure, I would pull the heads and look at this possibility.

Good luck.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tarps3
I know there are folks here that won't approve of this but my checkbook has limits.
I have spent the last 2 years on my '53 Olds 98. It has the 303 in it.
Anyway, a month after it gets out of paint/body I have either cracked a head or blown a head gasket because it's blowing out coolant steam thru the blowby pipe. No coolant shows up in the pan tho.
To rebuild this 303 will cost several thousand bucks. Merry Christmas - right?

I can get a decent 350 SB for about $1500 tho. I'm thinking of installing it until I get enough $$ for the rebuild. I'm not too worried about keeping it original either..it's just an old 4-door - but it is COOL!

I can't figure out how to install the newer 350 since the 303 has the front motor mounts. Has anyone swapped a newer engine for one of these old front mount motors?

I know it's been done but I can't find any info.

All help is appreciated!

thanks,
Casey
At least use an Olds 350. The original trans will not bolt to either the Chevy or BOP pattern, so you'll either need an adapter or a newer trans. You'll have to fabricate motor mounts.