Edelbrock 1406 accel. pump

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Smile Edelbrock 1406 accel. pump

Hi- Anybody with any experience in replacing the accelerator pump plunger (#1470 kit) ? Looks like the carb. top has to be removed in order to do the swap. Am I correct? Any tips/advice? Thanks!!! Jim
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM

One of the easies things to do. Not an Edelbrock carb fan but they are easy to work on. Just remove the screws that attach the top, linkage and you're there. Just take a good look at it first then go from there.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Carb Top has to be removed, a rebuild kit only supplies the seal. The Edle carb is a good carb but the accelerator pump seems a bit junky, all plastic. The whole pump is available though. You'll need a gasket set anyway and while it's apart might as well thoroughly clean all the innards.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot. Have to pick up the gasket kit first. Hopefully this will fix the bogging-down at lower acceleration! I'll post my results. Jim
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Bogging at lower speeds may be a clogged jet. The pump only comes into play on quick accelleration. Very fine grit accumulates over time and clogs the circuits or a circuit which serves a particular range. Very small orrifaces may need to be blown out. Carb cleaner blown through every tube/orriface will usually clean out the crap. Mine was doing this a couple years ago. after I disassembled everything I could see that a circuit was clogged. Each speed/power range of the carb has it's own circuit.
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM

I'll do a complete clean-out as you stated. The bogging happens at slow as well as quick acceleration, so I'll do both. I'll post my results. Also, while I have the top off, does anyone have any recommendations on what kit to buy to get more punch out of the 330cubes? I might as well do everything at once, and fuel economy is not an issue. Thanks! Jim

Last edited by jimjr; January 10th, 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added more to question.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM

There is a kit for rods and springs. I never experimented but that's pretty much what you do with the rod kit. The rods and springs you can change without removing the top. If it's running smooth at all speeds but only bogs during accelleration I'd suspect the pump. A clogged circuit will cause it to run lousy all the time at the speed that a clogged circuit is in use. The owners manual explains the operation very well. A rebuild kit will have all the parts you need.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM

They have alot of good info on those carbs on there web site too i played with mine this summer and was very easy to work on
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Finally got good enough weather to take off the car cover and give the accelerator pump swap a try. The hardest part was to hang onto the tiny spring clips that hold the three linkages onto their cams. Otherwise, the whole job, including a very much-needed cleanout with carb. spray, took me about 15 minutes. I warmed up the engine and readjusted the idle mixture screws and went out for a run. The new part/cleaning made a huge difference. I also took note of how easy it is to change out the needles, etc. I plan on experimenting with the carb. some more in the spring. Thanks to all who gave me advice and moral support on this issue! Happy Motoring!!!
Jim