distributor hold down

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:54 AM

distributor hold down

I have a question about timing. I adjusted the Dwell to 30 using the allen wrench. Now I am trying to do the timing, supposed to be 8. I see that 8 is the second bump from the top end of the timing tab. But I am not able to figure out where to loosen the distributor to turn it. Is there some hidden bolt somewhere? Also I cannot see the timing mark on the belt pulley. I presume that is where the mark is? Thank you for your help.
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to its own thread instead of resurrecting an old one. The distributor hold down clamp bolt is at the bottom of the distributor. Just loosen it a bit until you can turn the distributor.
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is a clamp on the drivers side of the distributor that has a bolt through it with a 9/16 head. Loosen the bolt just a little and you will be able to turn the distributor. You will probably need a distributor wrench to loosen and tighten it. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight that will work just fine. You don't say what car you are working on but the timing marks are probably on the harmonic balancer. When you find them you may want to mark them with some white paint.
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:05 AM

You did not say what your car and engine is? If you provide that maybe someone can provide a picture to show you?
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by serta1
I have a question about timing. I adjusted the Dwell to 30 using the allen wrench. Now I am trying to do the timing, supposed to be 8. I see that 8 is the second bump from the top end of the timing tab. But I am not able to figure out where to loosen the distributor to turn it. Is there some hidden bolt somewhere? Also I cannot see the timing mark on the belt pulley. I presume that is where the mark is? Thank you for your help.
I will ***-U-ME you have a 1964-1990 Olds V8. If not, ignore the following. The photo shows the rear of an Olds block. The large hole in the center of the picture, above the bellhousing surface is where the distributor goes. The small hole to the left of this is where the bolt that holds the distributor clamp threads into.

Old November 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by serta1
I have a question about timing.
I always waited until the third date, but a complete answer is under #1 here where timing is specifically discussed.

http://www.match.com/magazine/articl...The-New-Rules/
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:22 PM

that's funny jaunty

I find that a 12" extension and 9/16 flex socket make a good combo for doing the distributor clamp bolt.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you've got a 12" extension, then it's definitely wise to wait until the third date to roll that bad boy out...

I agree that it's wise to wait until the third date in general, but, I must admit, if I have a chance on the first date, I'll take it - there may not be another.

Oh, it's possible that his distributor is frozen in place, and a previous owner discovered this when trying to tune it up, and didn't bother to reinstall the clamp.
If that is the case, the distributor must be moved by force (and penetrating oil), and then a new clamp must be obtained.

- Eric