different firing order?

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:20 PM
mobbin in my old school

thank you sir i appreciate the tips!
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:30 PM

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ributor+grease

Clean the cheese out of the cavities around the upper bushing; put some fresh grease in there. Polish your shaft as you see fit. Clean and lube the mech. Adv. system. If it's HEI, the -center- football shaped piece sits still on the posts. The movable weights should move the triggering mechanism more-CCW as they fly outward, then retract smoothly. This action can be checked by hand.

Dielectric [silicone] grease is probably a good idea on the HEI module wiring terminals- wards off oxidation. Chassis grease, wheel bearing grease, or whatnot for the upper bushing.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
Clean the cheese out of the cavities around the upper bushing; put some fresh grease in there.
Polish your shaft as you see fit.
Do you teach a high school Health class?

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
mobbin in my old school

ok im stuck... put the distributor back in rotor/cap aligned with #1 @ tdc. put all wires in order and nothing. shes turning like she wants to start and the carb stopped spitting but she wont turn over. one thing i noticed is when i took it out, the rotor was facing the complete opposite of #1 @ tdc. ...im lost
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76_cutty
one thing i noticed is when i took it out, the rotor was facing the complete opposite of #1 @ tdc.
That's because when you put it together, you put it in backwards - in other words, you lined it up with #1 cylinder on overlap, and not on compression.

Either that, or you lined it up on overlap this time, and last time was right.

Recheck where compression is on #1.

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
mobbin in my old school

i cant even see the balancer to see any timing marks i found tdc by turning it over untill compression blows my finger out, i can actually see the piston through the plug hole. i was going to buy a timing light but that wont help if i cant start it.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76_cutty
i cant even see the balancer to see any timing marks i found tdc by turning it over untill compression blows my finger out, i can actually see the piston through the plug hole. i was going to buy a timing light but that wont help if i cant start it.
First, yes you can use your timing light. It will work just fine when the engine is cranking on the starter. This is an excellent way to set timing before actually firing the motor.

Second, if you can't see the balancer, you have a bigger problem, since you can't use the timing light either.

Step back and take a deep breath. This is not difficult. The engine ran before, so clearly you did something that screwed that up. Take your time, work carefully, and it will run. The only possible other problem is a jumped timing chain and it is EXTREMELY unlikely that happened between the time the car ran and now.