Carburetor Question for a 70 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2023, 11:25 AM
BBQ

Carburetor Question for a 70 Cutlass Supreme

What is the best bang for your buck carb for a 4 barrel olds 350. I’ve tried the Holley calculator, which gave me some ideas, but I’d really to get a good idea through the actual experience of others…
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:06 PM

I don't understand your question.
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:51 PM
BBQ

Originally Posted by Fun71
I don't understand your question.
All I’m asking is which carbs run best on a 1970 olds 350 from other people’s experience I guess
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:52 PM

A good, rebuilt Rochester.
Old October 10th, 2023, 01:01 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

On a completely factory motor, the factory Quadrajet. Now it is modified then whatever brand of carb you prefer tuned with a wideband to your particular motor. Something like the Steet Demon 750 cfm will bolt right to your factory intake but may be way off for a factory stock 1970 Olds 350. Now with a cam change and headers, it might be very close. See what I am getting at?
Old October 10th, 2023, 02:19 PM

X2 ^^^ if the car is stock definitely stay with the Quadrajet. If it isn't mostly stock you could use other carbs but I'd still stay with the Quadrajet.
Old October 10th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

^^x3^^ Quadrajet

I believe you own two of these cars? Does either one or the other or both cars already have a carburetor mounted on the engine? If so, what is the manufacture & model number?
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
X2 ^^^ if the car is stock definitely stay with the Quadrajet. If it isn't mostly stock you could use other carbs but I'd still stay with the Quadrajet.
Who's to say the stock carb was jetted right in the first place?

This is like asking what’s the best cookie available today.
Buy whatever and tune it with a wideband as mentioned. However be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time tuning a Qjet or todays Brawlers. They’ll most likely be all over the place.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Who's to say the stock carb was jetted right in the first place?
Not me, that's why I didn't.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Not me, that's why I didn't.
I gotcha. There were some assumptions here that’s all.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:58 PM

No problem...keep doing what you do for Olds...all is well.
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:46 PM
BBQ

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
On a completely factory motor, the factory Quadrajet. Now it is modified then whatever brand of carb you prefer tuned with a wideband to your particular motor. Something like the Steet Demon 750 cfm will bolt right to your factory intake but may be way off for a factory stock 1970 Olds 350. Now with a cam change and headers, it might be very close. See what I am getting at?
huh, I just always kinda heard that the stock quadrajets were kinda hard to maintain/tune…
don’t quote me on that though I still very new to this all…
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:12 PM

A Rochester properly jetted and set up.
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:14 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The big thing with the stock Quadrajet is condition. It may need all the throttle shafts bushed as well as a rebuild with a new float. It could be corroded inside and who knows what else, it is 50+ years old. The later 800 cfm are the best Quadrajet carbs but are also lean emissions carbs, unmodified. As said, the stock carb may be a little off but should be close but only a wideband will truly tell you. Do you have a carb preference?
Old October 10th, 2023, 08:59 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hello, Mr Dingus allow me to be long-winded,
A properly tuned QJet won't need to be touched with a screwdriver until it's ready for a rebuild in 10-20 years. A Holley on the other hand comes with a screwdriver.
Buy a QJet from a custom builder....not a big box supplier.

The correct QuadraJet will bolt right back into the same spot without any modification to the linkage or air cleaner.
The 1900 series Edelbrock is easy to tune. The rods, jets, and springs can be swapped without taking the carb apart. You will need throttle and trans kick-down linkage mods.
Demons are supposed to be good, I don't have any experience with them. You will likely need the same linkage mods.

You will never find a carb out-of-the-box tuned and ready to go. It may run but not to its full potential. No carb will.

Carburetor tuning is a lost art. It's an analog metering device in a digital world.
If you are willing and able to be patient and have a good tinkering skill set. and basic tools, go for it.
You can get it close with a good understanding of how a carb works. You will need a vac gauge, tac/dwell meter, a timing light, and know how to read spark plugs. A wideband A/F meter is even better.

The bottom line, any carb will work if properly tuned.

Option 2 find a good QJ rebuilder that tests the carb on an engine before shipping it back to you. It will still need basic tuning.

Option 3 buy a new carb and find a person who knows how to install and tune it.

Man, I need to open an old-school shop!
Old October 11th, 2023, 05:54 AM
BBQ

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Hello, Mr Dingus allow me to be long-winded,
A properly tuned QJet won't need to be touched with a screwdriver until it's ready for a rebuild in 10-20 years. A Holley on the other hand comes with a screwdriver.
Buy a QJet from a custom builder....not a big box supplier.

The correct QuadraJet will bolt right back into the same spot without any modification to the linkage or air cleaner.
The 1900 series Edelbrock is easy to tune. The rods, jets, and springs can be swapped without taking the carb apart. You will need throttle and trans kick-down linkage mods.
Demons are supposed to be good, I don't have any experience with them. You will likely need the same linkage mods.

You will never find a carb out-of-the-box tuned and ready to go. It may run but not to its full potential. No carb will.

Carburetor tuning is a lost art. It's an analog metering device in a digital world.
If you are willing and able to be patient and have a good tinkering skill set. and basic tools, go for it.
You can get it close with a good understanding of how a carb works. You will need a vac gauge, tac/dwell meter, a timing light, and know how to read spark plugs. A wideband A/F meter is even better.

The bottom line, any carb will work if properly tuned.

Option 2 find a good QJ rebuilder that tests the carb on an engine before shipping it back to you. It will still need basic tuning.

Option 3 buy a new carb and find a person who knows how to install and tune it.

Man, I need to open an old-school shop!
alright, well the car should have a QJ on it, I just would need to rebuild it, so I guess if that’s the best way to go, I’ll probably just stick with that I guess.
Old October 11th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Running On Empty

Find the model # of your carb, order a rebuild kit. Very easy to rebuild the carb. Tons of videos if you want visual tutorial assistance. Grab a new filter, gasket & spring while you’re at it. Model # located on driver side of carb towards rear with numbers running vertical.
Old October 11th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DingusGarage
huh, I just always kinda heard that the stock quadrajets were kinda hard to maintain/tune…
don’t quote me on that though I still very new to this all…
That has not been my experience. I started driving with a 1970 Cutlass Supreme then moved to the current 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible. Over the past 40 years the QuadraJet on each of them has worked very well. As said above it's very easy to rebuild and keep running well.
Old October 11th, 2023, 04:58 PM
BBQ

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
ok, so another question, say I add some light modifications, say like a performance camshaft or something. Would a quadrajet still be ideal in this circumstance?
Old October 11th, 2023, 05:34 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As is maybe not, depends on the size of the aftermarket cam. The idle passages need enlarged to provide enough fuel with increased duration. The 1970 carb is better than say an unmodified 1980 Qjet. Once modified correctly, 1980 carb will make more power due to the extra 50 cfm on the primary side.
Old October 11th, 2023, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DingusGarage
ok, so another question, say I add some light modifications, say like a performance camshaft or something. Would a quadrajet still be ideal in this circumstance?
My 350 has a 217/221 cam, Performer RPM intake manifold, headers, and a 2500 RPM stall converter. And the original QuadraJet carb.
Old October 11th, 2023, 10:27 PM

I have street motors mildly warmed over, nothing loud or lumpy, but fun.

I can recommend carbs from SMI (Sean Murphy Induction) in SoCal. They do good work and when you do the order they ask good questions about your engine so they can jet it right. I’ve found they jet it a bit rich which is the right side to err on, but I only second guess them because I’m using 02 sensors on both tailpipes to really dial in the jetting.

Tell ‘em what you have and I’m sure they’ll build something good for you.

Chris
Old October 12th, 2023, 08:37 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

With every change to the engine, the carb will need to be retuned to optimize performance.
A 750 CFM QuadraJet is good up to 375-400 hp without major modification above simple rod springs jets and AVSD adjustments.
The cam, timing curve, trans type, and rear-end gear ratio all need to be considered as a system and tuned accordingly.

Anything above stock cam profiles will require advanced modifications and are for the advanced tuner, not a novice. If you consider yourself a novice carb guy buy and understand these books:

Amazon Amazon

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15563387539...kaAuYuEALw_wcB