cam swap

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:49 PM

cam swap

I'm looking for some cam ideas for my new setup this spring. Car is a 70 cutlass currently with a 350, th350, 9" w/3.89s.

Engine specs: 70 bottom end w/6cc pistons
XE268 cam
Comp roller rockers
Performer RPM intake
#7 heads
HEI dist
Q-jet carb
Headman headers and 2.5 duals

I have not been impressed with the setup. The car doesn't do burnouts anymore. It feels like a pig. I ran a 3000 stall for most of the summer last year. The car is still fun to drive, but not as quick as Id like.

This year I'm making some changes which I hope will be better.

I purchased a tko-600 and all the bits to make the swap to the 5spd.
I also have a megasquirt 2 EFI here going into the car. It will be a basic throttle body injection setup.

I need help matching a cam to these changes. I mostly use this car on the street. Cranking compression right now is 190. I'm also considering a little head shave and .028 head gasket if needed.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:30 AM

Your carb may be going out of tune and/or the timing has changed in some way.
190 is about what I have. My setup won't show up on this post cuz of my iphone but you can go to another to see it.

That cam doesn't have enough off the seat time, especially with stock heads.
Remember any tb is just an electronic carb. Multiport will give you better drivability, even with more cam.

When I went from a carb to multiport and a hydraulic roller it was night and day. With your 5 speed it should be even better.
I'd consider a roller and going multiport, you're already half way there. I'll bet you won't be sorry.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 31st, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:18 AM

I havent read to much into the roller cam options. Which ones would I be looking at? Would multiport require going to a single plane intake?
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:28 AM

I would tune your present set up first. That setup should have plenty of power to burn the tires with those gears. I would check the timing out first. That's a nice street/torque cam. Jmo, Ken
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:49 AM

Timing is 37 all in at 2500. Carb is original off of a 66 chevelle 396 car and stock jetting. Even with 3000 stall, it would just barely chip the tires. Its quicker than a stock setup......buddy here has a 72 chevelle w/stock 69 olds 350 auto and my old 12 bolt.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jarrod
I havent read to much into the roller cam options. Which ones would I be looking at? Would multiport require going to a single plane intake? No
Put bungs in your RPM intake, it'll work great!

I'd be happy to have one ground for you or once you get further along I'll recommend one for you as well.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM

Sounds good, thank you. I will be digging into the car when I get back from vacation 14 May. I'll want to get it finished quick for summer.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM

I think the keywords are "it doesn't do burnouts anymore" that tells me at one time the cam, carb and ignition setup worked fine for the engine. Since compression test shows 190 psi, the engine is probably not "tired or worn". My guess would be it needs a major tune-up like Kennybill mentioned. That includes fuel pump pressure and volume, a carb rebuild, thorough check and HEI rebuild, check timing chain slack etc.... I would do that before throwing a bunch of new expensive parts on it, in the hopes of getting improvements.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM

By "doesnt do burnouts anymore" I mean with the current setup doesnt spin the tires. In stock form this car would lay down rubber all day. Granted it didnt have posi. kinda thought going from 2.73 to 3.89 gears would be good though. It chips 2nd pretty hard.

This car was my daily driver when i was younger and it has taken me about 10 years to build. Last summer was the first time it has seen the road since i left for collage.....Im 31 now. It feels like the combo has a couple mismatch parts. The 5spd/EFI for this year is something Ive wanted for a long time and it fits the build. Car is lowered, 4 wheel disks, tubular control arms, and quick ratio steering.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM

Man I love to see new tech on older cars.

Hopefully I'm going to pull my numbers matching block in the next year or so, moth ball it, and replace it with a DX build. The plan is to have a different type of intake on it as well but I'm not going to reveal what that will be quite yet.

Yours sounds like a nice project, enjoy!!!!
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:48 PM

My guess would be the cam was installed retarded but the cranking comp of 190 would seem to refute that. Hmmm. Do you know your actual compression ratio by chance?
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM

I like the old car new tech combo. Ive always wanted to do a DX turbo build.....but would be kinda hard to hide a turbo. Most of the mods on mine are hidden as best I can to retain a factory-ish look. I was a pain trying to get disks to clear the 15s and it was really hard to find 15" SSIIs around here.

Actual compression is unknown. Its a 70 bottom end that was run on natural gas for years. It has 6cc pistons and was left untouched except for bearings, rings, hardware, etc. Heads are #7 from a 71 manual trans car....it had a resurface before being put into the car. Cam was installed 4 degrees retarded when I had 3000 stall. When I replaced the torque convertor I re aligned cam 4 degrees advanced. New convertor stalls around 1800.

Last edited by jarrod; April 1st, 2013 at 09:30 PM.