biggest dumb@$$ award goes to me

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I have been watching this from afar and you are going great. Learning often means redoing things and car engines are complex and require a lot of know-how. Heck when I was your age I was tearing down go-kart engines instead (once because I drained oil and forgot to fill it again...)
Keep it up and correct mistakes before they bite you. Pretty soon you will have that engine running just like a song!
BTW, I think I surpassed you at getting the biggest DA award. Ever help a close friend install an unobtainium NOS windshield and end up breaking it when it was almost in? No chance at buffing that out. Yes we were POed but we chalked it up to learning. We were supposed to insert the top first - duh! Now if only we can find another....
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:41 AM
major noob

Ha thanks rob for that confidence boost
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I remember one time putting a BBC into a Buick Skylark. It had pretty much NO fittings in the oil plug screws in the block, oil everywhere! I had put in a very long day installing this motor. My good friend told me to clean everything up, tools included. Put everything away, and let's get some dinner. Got the plugs, put them in, had the garage all cleaned, nothing to step on etc, fired that sucker up and broke in the cam. Best advice ever. When you are tired and things are going a little crazy, take a break, get some food, and clean up. You restart with a clean mind and a clean garage. Things go smoothly together. Have you guys ever had a bolt that just won't go in and are trying for hours? Take a break, clean up, and get some food. You come back and that sucker goes right in. You all know what I'm talking about, don't you.
So much truth here. Clean up the tools. Eat. Maybe do something completely unrelated to cars for a while. But then again grinding away with tools everywhere (can't find anything mode) gets things done. And all that aggravation and distress is soon forgotten after the job is done.

How many times have I said I'm never doing a engine swap again? Somehow I keep coming back...
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:58 AM
major noob

I'm currently waiting on parts to come in so this is my break period. I'll be back at it its the love hate relationship
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM
major noob

Ok question can I retorque a head gasket reason I ask is the only way to fit the passenger side is to pull the head set the header in and put the head back on. I know its a Hassel but it saves me the time of cutting and junk
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:43 PM
major noob

Can anyone answer my question I haven't ran the engine so basically all I have is a new bit torqued down head gasket
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Can anyone answer my question I haven't ran the engine so basically all I have is a new bit torqued down head gasket
Depends on if it's a crush gasket if it is then no you shouldn't it's been awhile I am not familiar with these gaskets but I have reused head gaskets before as long as it wasn't ran. Hopefully one of these guys can chime in and clear this up for you
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Why not just pull the bolt out of the engine mount and jack the engine up. It's a good idea to remove the distributor first. Headers need to go in from underneath the car, so the car needs to be up on jackstands as high as you can safely get it. Then jack the engine up if needed, I would not pull the head back off.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:55 PM
major noob

That's what glen told me I'm on the phone with him now
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:57 PM

I would avoid reusing the head gasket. Maybe pull off your wheel well and fender if you need the room and lift the engine up like the poster above suggested?

Last edited by VinMichael; December 19th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
major noob

I will thanks but I find it easier to go in from the top
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator

It's not Bill, seriously they have to go in from the bottom.
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM
major noob

OK I'll do that I was fooling with the passenger side drivers side in no problem from the top
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:55 AM
major noob

High ho ans away they went through the top no problem no room to put in through the bottom but they dropped right in through the top
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Administrator

oooooooK... I stand corrected. Make sure your trans lines and wiring is not too close to cause issues.
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM
major noob

Yea things are way too close I can tell starter and wires need to be wrapped headers need to be wrapped but other than that everything sits good hush with I had a battery to test her now. I finished everything up and then find out my battery is shot
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM
Oldsdruid

I will thanks but I find it easier to go in from the top
It's not Bill, seriously they have to go in from the bottom.
Since it's so close to Christmas I am trying real hard to be a good boy here...

Glad you were able to drop everything in from top. I was a little worried about you under the car. Smushed young'un is no good at all.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:42 AM
major noob

Also I removed the account box which really helped out but since I'm not gonna rub ac it isn't a problem I just have the dummy box haha anyways I need to wrap the headers but I will have a video of what she sounds like today. A good friend of mine who restored a 66 stang is gonna let me borrow his battery. He was with me when I made the mistake of no water. He's into my car and wants to help since his is complete so I'm like alright yea man you can help
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Also I removed the account box which really helped out but since I'm not gonna rub ac it isn't a problem I just have the dummy box haha anyways I need to wrap the headers but I will have a video of what she sounds like today. A good friend of mine who restored a 66 stang is gonna let me borrow his battery. He was with me when I made the mistake of no water. He's into my car and wants to help since his is complete so I'm like alright yea man you can help
Might want to be careful you might turn him and his 66 will be for sale soon

Any ways glad you got the headers in what size exhaust do you have to hook up to them ? Straight headers might **** off the neighbors! I did this with a Honda and had the cops come visit me