biggest dumb@$$ award goes to me

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Old School Olds

That could explain it.
I have unstopped them by removing both upper and lower hoses from the core
and back flushing both ends of the core with a good blast from the garden hose.
It should unplug it, but you may find after a while if the stuff comes out crusty, the core
may begin to leak, or not...
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:27 AM
major noob

Other than. That I think its good I'm gonna flush the system an do another bleed just to be sure I'll sure hope its good and if it is you can bet never again I'll make that mistake ever
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:39 AM
major noob

Ok core had a block I blew through it and something dislodged and air pushed through then water went through may have this fixed soon
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Old School Olds

Nice. Hope it works out for you, keep us posted.
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM
major noob

OK thermostat was sticking so I'm gonna pull that out and check it that way
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM
major noob

Scratch that no it wasn't so I'm at a loss
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Justin

How are you checking the t stat ?

Why do you think it's sticking ?

So you have ran it for awhile and no bubbles are coming out of the radiator ?

What do you mean by pressure? as the engine warms up coolant gets pushed out is some what normal intell the t stat opens with the rad cap off

Last edited by oldstata; December 7th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Justin

Here is my story so on my 72 cutlass 350 motor. This was 14 years ago

Head gasket blew because the ex drove it really hot she knew it was over heating but wanted to get home, warped the head so here is the funny part. I was stoned out of my mind while buying the gasket kit at napa, the counter guy must have noticed as he insisted, I needed this Indian gasket sealer stuff ( aviation sealer ) and explained I needed to cover the intire head gasket ( both sides ) and the turkey tray.
Well needless to say I was so stoned I went home and did just this and put it all together. Started up first try and ran great right intell the radiator hose blew off and just missed me with boiling hot water so hot it took paint right off of the brake booster. Needless to say I had no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil but an exhaust leak into coolant dumb founded what did I do wrong ?!

Well the next day I knew what I did wrong and didn't fix it for several months later but redid the work and drove great.

I now look back at wonder how did I make it to be clean today
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM
major noob

Ok so the t stat was open but I couldn't tell it was when. I was looking through the housing. But when I shut off the engine I get air and water bursting into the overflow for like 5 minutes after I shut it off
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Ok so the t stat was open but I couldn't tell it was when. I was looking through the housing. But when I shut off the engine I get air and water bursting into the overflow for like 5 minutes after I shut it off
I don't understand how you can look at the t stat while being hot ?
Coolant bubbling in over flow could be the engine still has air pockets or that exhaust is leaking into coolant

When running up to temp is the upper and lower hoses hot, warm or cold ?
Both upper and lower hoses should be hot at normal operation temp, if upper is hot but lower is cold coolant is not being transferred correctly ( air pockets t stat stuck closed ) some times air gets stuck between t stat and won't allow coolant to pass through this is where shutting down the engine letting cool down and restarting helps

Please be sure the motor is cooled down and take rad cap off carefully so that you don't open under pressed with boling coolant.

Also are you using water or coolant ? What is your. Current temp where you live ? You don't want water to freeze and cause more issues
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM
major noob

I emptied it and looked at it. And I flushed and bled like 5 times so it is gotta be a head gasket.
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Justin

I emptied it and looked at it. And I flushed and bled like 5 times so it is gotta be a head gasket.
Okay if you are sure you got all air pockets out the. Yep dig into it and mark everything
Motor hadn't ran for awhile so it could have been the gasket just got old and gave out might not have been what you did at all

T stat if you pulled it out to look at it it would cool down and shut again so this isn't proper testing but in the safe side grab a new one when you do the head gaskets

Good luck
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:52 PM

check the water pump to make sure its circulating the water,if its not then the water just sits inn there and gets way too hot. then it boils and goes into the overflow. get it up to operating temp,carefully pull the cap,before it builds pressure, look in the radiator to see if its flowing,if not get a waterpump. ill bet 5.00 on it. and dont be beating yourself up about it,you are learning. none of us are born with this knowledge,we all had to learn. some things we learn from others,most we learn from ourselves

Last edited by oldolds88; December 7th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:55 PM
major noob

That's what my other guess was I'll check it but I was pretty sure it was flowing
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Dunno if anyone said this but the incorrect radiator cap will do what you are describing or a malfunctioning cap. I went from a 190 t stat to a 165 with the stock cap I kept over flowing I had to go to a higher psi cap if I remembered correctly . I never understood why but that was my issue. A lower psi radiator cap could have been used if there was a leaky heater core .or so that's what's been mentioned in the past.
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Good point on the cap. My rad. press. tester has a cap tester, but you can just go buy a good new cap, (stant). I like them with a pressure relief lever but don't know if that type is available for recovery systems.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:06 PM
major noob

I'm using the stant
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM

Is the radiator cap new or old ?
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This is a curious problem, but I don't think we've got a full description of it yet.

Before I get into that, though, please let me get into this:
... I hate it about ADHD I never focus and I get in a rush I was just wanting to show my friend all my work and now im paying the price
Who says you've got ADD? You mean just because you can't stand to keep your butt parked in a seat for six hours a day while someone drones on to you about something you're not interested in?
I've got news for you, that's not a disorder; that's normal behavior for a healthy young male human being.
I'm no psychiatrist, and I'm not going to diagnose you over the internet, but I don't think I've ever known a teenager (or a child) who wasn't rushed, impulsive, and forgetful, including me.
It's in your nature to push ahead, without regard for the consequences or the finer details. That's why the good Lord made adults, and why the army has Staff Sergeants: To help keep you alive long enough to get past this all and slow down a bit.

So don't worry about it. We were all like that once. Just like we were all thin and had hair on our heads.

Now, as far as the car goes, we really don't have much specific information here.
For starters, what is the pressure of your radiator cap?
Is it pressure-only, pr pressure-vacuum?
Does your radiator have a recovery bottle or not?
Are you filling it all the way to the top, or to three inches below that?
Do you have access (including, possibly, "free rental" from a chain auto parts store) to a radiator and cap pressure tester?
Are you running water or antifreeze?
Do you have a spare radiator around that you can swap in to test with?
Do you have a cylinder compression tester (this you can definitely borrow from a chain auto parts store)?

I would recommend at least a compression test, and preferably a cooling system pressure test as well, before proceeding any further.

- Eric
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Senior Moment Member

X1000 on the ADD. I was on Ritalin or something like it when I was a kid. I couldn't sit still. They finally promoted me to a higher grade to keep me occupied with schoolwork. Boys are wired to be impulsive and to throw caution to the wind. How do you think we won WW2?
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 5 but my psychiatrist rules against it. He said I needed activities to burn up my energy. As an adult my biggest problem is my short term memory. When you are 5 you don't know what a psychiatrist is besides a doctor it didn't hit me until years later that my teachers thought I was nuts. I'm very hyperactive but I stay busy . My problem is forgetting what I was doing . I get lost in conversations because I think too far ahead , I could be working on a car at work and go to my tool box and forget what I was going for . I have learned ways to cover my *** specific procedures to not miss things or forget things on cars. And if you think having ADD is Cool its not ., now as an adult with more responsibilities when I worry about something its ten fold because my mind races a mile a minute then anxiety comes into play for a day or so at first it drove me nuts but I have learned to cope with it and not let things that bother me drive me nuts. Bill you gotta figure out a way to work with your ADD specially in the work field because as a kid you are a neausance to people but as an adult ADD becomes a neasuance to yourself.
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:41 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Boys are wired to be impulsive and to throw caution to the wind. How do you think we won WW2?
By learning not to be impulsive, and being led by generals who didn't throw caution to the winds. And letting the Wermacht bleed itself white in the Soviet Union.

Roger.
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:05 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This is a curious problem, but I don't think we've got a full description of it yet.

Before I get into that, though, please let me get into this:

Who says you've got ADD? You mean just because you can't stand to keep your butt parked in a seat for six hours a day while someone drones on to you about something you're not interested in?
I've got news for you, that's not a disorder; that's normal behavior for a healthy young male human being.
I'm no psychiatrist, and I'm not going to diagnose you over the internet, but I don't think I've ever known a teenager (or a child) who wasn't rushed, impulsive, and forgetful, including me.
It's in your nature to push ahead, without regard for the consequences or the finer details. That's why the good Lord made adults, and why the army has Staff Sergeants: To help keep you alive long enough to get past this all and slow down a bit.

So don't worry about it. We were all like that once. Just like we were all thin and had hair on our heads.

Now, as far as the car goes, we really don't have much specific information here.
For starters, what is the pressure of your radiator cap?
Is it pressure-only, pr pressure-vacuum?
Does your radiator have a recovery bottle or not?
Are you filling it all the way to the top, or to three inches below that?
Do you have access (including, possibly, "free rental" from a chain auto parts store) to a radiator and cap pressure tester?
Are you running water or antifreeze?
Do you have a spare radiator around that you can swap in to test with?
Do you have a cylinder compression tester (this you can definitely borrow from a chain auto parts store)?

I would recommend at least a compression test, and preferably a cooling system pressure test as well, before proceeding any further.

- Eric
Have been diagnosed with ADHD at age 5ish take meds everyday wild when I don't and I got a pressure tester and the cap is new I'm gonna do a compression test have the tools for that haven't tore into it yet but I will this weekend after I do the test.have the overflow bottle filled it to the line. I'm running water till I'm sure all things are figured out
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:08 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 5 but my psychiatrist rules against it. He said I needed activities to burn up my energy. As an adult my biggest problem is my short term memory. When you are 5 you don't know what a psychiatrist is besides a doctor it didn't hit me until years later that my teachers thought I was nuts. I'm very hyperactive but I stay busy . My problem is forgetting what I was doing . I get lost in conversations because I think too far ahead , I could be working on a car at work and go to my tool box and forget what I was going for . I have learned ways to cover my *** specific procedures to not miss things or forget things on cars. And if you think having ADD is Cool its not ., now as an adult with more responsibilities when I worry about something its ten fold because my mind races a mile a minute then anxiety comes into play for a day or so at first it drove me nuts but I have learned to cope with it and not let things that bother me drive me nuts. Bill you gotta figure out a way to work with your ADD specially in the work field because as a kid you are a neausance to people but as an adult ADD becomes a neasuance to yourself.
You're exactly right and that's my problem now is my memory like forgetting I unhooked the hose. And the tool issue thing too and not gonna lie I already feel like a neausance to myself
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:09 AM
major noob

Answers will be choppy sorry in class
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Old School Olds

Morning Bill. I had a thought...When up to temp make sure your lower hose
hasn't collapsed. If the spring in there is rotted away or just missing, they
can do that. Also DO make sure the pump is circulating water. I hate to see
you have to pull it down if you don't have to.
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
major noob

Will do I have been flushing the system and lots of brown rusty water has been coming out wondering if the pump isn't rusted up but all hoses are hot and full at temp
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm gonna do a compression test have the tools for that...
I'd recommend testing the compression both cold and hot, as expansion of the metal can either open or close a head gasket leak.

Answers will be choppy sorry in class
Don't text in class. Learn stuff.

- Eric
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM
72Cutlass S

Try one of these for testing for internal combustion leaks. It's a lot cheaper than a tear down.
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/block-tester
Old December 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
major noob

OK thanks
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Administrator

What temp is it getting to Bill? Is the seat in the radiator where the cap seals ok?
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
major noob

It gets to 215 and keeps rising that's when I shut it off cause the stat opens it dropped a little and keeps going up so I shut it off to prevent further damage
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM
major noob

Well minus a compression test as it stands right now its a head gasket
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Well, other than that, how was the show, Mrs. Lincoln?"

- Eric
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Justin

Will do I have been flushing the system and lots of brown rusty water has been coming out wondering if the pump isn't rusted up but all hoses are hot and full at temp
Bill is your fan clutch working ?
With all this brown stuff coming out your radiator could be partially clogged and not cooling correct as well.
Just some more to check

Also I do think you should buy the coolant tester and see if it has HC in the coolant that would be the quickest test or take it to your local shop that can test with the five/ four gas tester
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM
major noob

I'll save up some money and get the test stuff its gonna be down for a while I want to do this and do it right. If I cap off the ends can I run draino through the radiator
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Justin

I'll save up some money and get the test stuff its gonna be down for a while I want to do this and do it right. If I cap off the ends can I run draino through the radiator
I would take it to a local radiator shop and have it gone threw or buy a new one. I know your tight on money but right is right and if you plan on driving this it's better to feel confident about the work that you are doing. It gets better hang in there things will start to fall in place
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I cap off the ends can I run draino through the radiator
That might not be such a good idea.

Drano would have a very good chance of eating through the solder of the radiator, and it also tends to make small rock-like chunks, which will go down a drain just fine, but which will clog up your tiny radiator tubes.

Vinegar has been used in radiators in the past - you leave it in for a day or more - but even that can sometimes uncover thin spots you didn't know you had.

- Eric
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
major noob

Ok I might do a mix 50 50 on vinegar and water
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:17 PM
major noob

Oh and I do have a pressure tester for the cooling system can that tell me as well if I have a bad head gasket like if I put pressure to it and it loses it quickly

Quick Reply: biggest dumb@$$ award goes to me