Any preferred gasket?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Any preferred gasket?

I need to replace the drivers side head gasket on my 350. Is there any brand you guys can recommend that seal better than others or is there any I should definitely stay away from? BTW, would it be recommended that I change both should I have the resources?
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by csouth
I need to replace the drivers side head gasket on my 350. Is there any brand you guys can recommend that seal better than others or is there any I should definitely stay away from? BTW, would it be recommended that I change both should I have the resources?
I use Fel-Pro. Never had problems with them.

Are you changing the gasket because of an overheat? If you are, you'd best be doing the other side too. There may be damage that just hasn't made itself noticed yet. And while you're at it check your thermostat and coolant. Might be the time to change out rad hoses that may have become weak during an overheat too.

The best guy I can think of to give you a real tech answer on this would be Joe Padaveno on this site. I'm sure there's issues with taking the heads off, checking them and the block for warpage, and reinstalling the head correctly with the proper torque and bolt tightening sequence. Sounds like you may have a big job ahead of you. Know a good mechanic who works for beer? Wish I could be more helpful, I only do these things myself when it's easy, or there's no other way around it cause lots of time I don't have right now and space is always an issue.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM

No, I'm actually replacing because the guy that had it before me took the head bolts loose and I'm wondering if this one is having trouble resealing? I think he thought the had to remove the heads to install new lifters. I dropped the oil before I started the car There was water there, nut not like it ran hot. I just thought about putting a fresh one on.
BTW, will the intake manifold gasket need replacing also? Its the turkey pan style....

Last edited by csouth; May 11th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

FelPro blue
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Joe,

Since the headgasket was never "blown" do you think I whould replace it or try to let the car run and have it reseal?
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,

Since the headgasket was never "blown" do you think I whould replace it or try to let the car run and have it reseal?
Every time I have tried cutting corners, I end up spending even more time and money. Yes, you will need to replace the intake gasket as well.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Thanks Joe, I'll trust your judgement and just replace it. Should I do both sides?
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe, I'll trust your judgement and just replace it. Should I do both sides?
Congratulations. You are well on your way down the slippery slope of MIGHTASWELL...

The one reason to replace both sides would be the difference in compressed thickness of the old gasket and the new ones. In the real world this probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference, but still...

Of course, if both heads are off, you MIGHTASWELL have the valves done.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Of course, if both heads are off, you MIGHTASWELL have the valves done.

And you MIGHTASWELL have the heads milled 30 thou, so you don't have 7.5:1 compression.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM

It wouldn't be such a dilema if the heads were off... I'm gonna replace the drivers side and let it roll for now. I was hoping to start saving for a rebuild next summer. Just saw an ad for a part car, guy asking 200 for the whole car. Hope its still available. Supposed to have 455, 400 shortail and posi. Wasn't looking for a bb, but at that price....
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I really would replace both head gaskets. We could take you way down the mightaswell highway like mightaswell replace the cam and on and on. I would say to you mightaswell replace both head gaskets and put it back together. Just my opinion but for sure what I would do under the circumstances. The rebuild next summer has a way of turning into the following summer and them the other head gasket blows and then you are back into the engine. You would not be happy camper them. Good luck with it.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM

The head gasket itself was never blown. They guy that had the car before me removed the inner head bolts on one side. I was going to replace the one because I was wondering if the there would be a problem with it sealing again.