77' Olds 350 Engine Rebuild Help

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM

Cool 77' Olds 350 Engine Rebuild Help

I have what i believe to be a 1977 Oldsmobile 350 Engine. I know for a fact its an Oldsmobile due to the oil filler tube directly in the front, and it has "350" stamped on both sides of the block. What i am not sure about, is the year of the engine, and what vehicle it came from. The cast number reads 557752-3B. My other questions were:

What kind of heads can i use for this engine, other than the 3a smog heads. I want the engine to sound aggressive and have some *****, but i don't want to go all out like racing performance stuff. i just want a street car.

I was thinking MAYBE a mild cam, Holley 4 barrel Carb, Edelbrock Aluminum Intake, and Heads suitable for the engine.

If anyone has any input/suggestions on what i should use or if anyone has expertise with this specific engine please let me know! Thanks-Joe
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM

Yes, it will be a 77-80 Olds 350 block. This be one of the blocks that use windowed main caps and not as strong as earlier main caps. Some will disagree, but it only seems to reason to me when you take metal out of the main cap it can't possibly be as strong. It all you are using is a mild cam and 4bbl, you should be OK to use it though. Head choice would probably be to find some 5, 6, 7 or 7a heads. You can probably count the 5's out. If you find them, they won't be cheap. If you know anything about porting heads, you can probably get by with those smogger heads too. Open them up a bit, remove the smog bump if you want. But the 5, 6, 7 or 7a will net a better compression ratio.
When you say rebuild, do you mean new rings and bearings, or bore, hone and new pistons? If it were me, and spending all the money for machine work and a kit, I'd look around for a 76 or Older 350 block. You might be able to pick one up for $100 or so needing a rebuild and get away from those windowed mains. You could always buy new main caps too but they aren't cheap, then you'd have to have the block line bored which is also not cheap. You'd be ahead of the game by finding someone with a 76 or older 350 in their way.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM

What kind of heads can i use for this engine, other than the 3a smog heads. I want the engine to sound aggressive and have some *****, but i don't want to go all out like racing performance stuff. i just want a street car.
The late model 350 should be fine for what you want to do.
If you are going to put earlier heads on it, make sure to have the head bolt holes opened up to 17/32nds", or the heads will not bolt on.

Don't bolt on a used up set of heads, it may cost you all the power you would have gained. Bolt on a new set with new guides, real seals, and a fresh 3 angle valve job with back cuts on the intake valves.

I am assuming you have mid 3 series gears, dual exhaust, a re-curved distributor, and a Quadra-jet on it now. Work on tuning what you have. All of this should be done before you swap the heads, to optimize your performance goals, and to familiarize yourself with the engine, and what it will take to make it run well. The heads alone, will net you half of possible gains, the other part you will have to work on the tune.

Post your location. People with parts will chime in.
If in Az, I have some castings.

Jim
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys. I dont really know much about the heads, except that the lower the cc's the better And my "rebuild" will consist of all new gaskets, rings, bearings, and just honing the bores and re-using the same pistons. My buddy did this with his Mopar 440, so i'm assuming the same could be done with oldsmobile?

And also, out of the 5, 6, 7, 7a heads, which one would you say is going to be the cheapest ?(complete with springs, valves, rocker arms, pushrods) And if i was to get any of these heads, these still have to be drilled out to fit the 77'?

I am also located in Oak Forest, Illinois. THANKS GUYS!