350 w A/C, PS Pump Spacer Question

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM

350 w A/C, PS Pump Spacer Question

Ok, in the process of disassembly, I photo'ed everything, or THOUGHT I did. I'm struggling with the power steering brackets, something just doesn't seem right. I have the front PS bracket spacer for the timing cover stud in place, have the spacer on the rear bracket in place, but am wondering if there are any more spacers?

Is there a thin spacer that goes between the pump body and the front bracket in the adjustment hole? I have one I put off to the side and not sure if that's where it came from. It seems the pad on the front of the pump needs this space to fit flush?

Is there a spacer/cup washer that goes on the stud in the rear of the pump body?

Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM

Ok, here's some shots for future reference, first shot is of the lower power steering bracket and 2 spacers.

Spacer on Timing Cover Stud (long) -= .625

Spacer at rear of bracket, on block = .395

Spacer under pump bracket, on pump face = .120

Shots of the bracket on engine, red arrows pointing to spacers.

Also a shot of the typical GM cup washer used on pump stud on rear of pump. THAT'S the one I'm trying to determine if it needs? Anyone?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PS-BRK-SPC-02-SM.JPG (32.2 KB, 79 views)
PUMP-BKTSM01.jpg (44.2 KB, 70 views)
LWR-PS-BRK-SPC-01-SM.JPG (66.5 KB, 77 views)
CupWasherSM01.JPG (23.9 KB, 58 views)
LWR-BRK-SPC-03-SM.JPG (56.4 KB, 80 views)
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM

When I took mine apart, I had only those 2 diff size thick spacers in your 3rd pic, and a very thin nut on the front holding the pulley on (can't recall if a washer was there though).
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

I don't know if this illustration will help or not, for a '71.

wel186.jpg
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM

BlueVista - That did it for me, thank you so much! Yes, it shows a spacer in between the bracket & body of the pump, on the adjuster bolt. Nice. It is slightly different on a '72, or it's just a generic diagram. Doesn't show the cup washer though, but it's like a usual GM part, surprised it's not there. It's so thin, think I'm going to throw it on anyway, so it doesn't ride on the stud. If it has a belt toss issue, I'll remove it.

Oldzy - Funny, the diagram doesn't show a washer on the pump snout under the 'funky' nut, BUT, on my other Pontiacs it does use a specific hardened washer, and it's a particular size. The nut back is smooth enough and wide enough to where I'm not sure it will make a diff, so will try to assemble w/o. If it looks like it won't apply the right pressure to the pulley for a tight fit, I'll take it apart and try to find a washer. (Know I have one laying around, can't tell you how many I've taken apart! Bolt bin is a nightmare though!).

Thanks guys, appreciate the help! Hopefully the spacer sizes I posted will help others....