350 Vin R in a 77 "98" Regency

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM

350 Vin R in a 77 "98" Regency

Hello all, I am new to this forum. The 77 "98" has been in my family since I was born Feb 8, 1977 as a gift from my father to mother. I drove the car in Highschool and am now restoring her. The body is complete with all chrome, grill, light bezels etc and now I have to do some engine work. Does anyone recommend a place in NJ that can do this sort of thing? I believe it has 185 hp and something with a bit more hp would be nice but still drivable. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.... after that it's interior time, I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks Again!!

So what "could" a 350 V8 make with the right help?
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome Mike,

With enough money over 1hp per cubic inch. How much you willing to spend? But for a reasonable amount you could up it by about 100hp.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I think that's what I am looking to do, 300hp or so makes sense to me for the size of the car. 185+115 is the 300hp number. I was thinking that it may actually be more efficient than the one in it now... do you agree? MPG may be better with the newer engine, I am not worried all that much as I have a daily driver but would love to take the "beast" across the country one day.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Past Administrator

Well..........it will be more fun, have a 4bbl carb and you will have a hard time keeping your foot out of it. I doubt if you will see better fuel economy, the engine will run better and more efficiently than a 30plus year old engine but it would depend upon HOW POORLY that old engine is running right now, if it is a stocker 2bbl then you are probably getting 15mpg or so, which isn't too bad in a big B body car, although the emissions crap on the '77s was pretty bad, and with a new engine you can leave all that off. It is probably a toss up. At any rate, let us know what you do.
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Hey man another '77 child I'm 2 weeks before you (Jan 24)

The 77 350 block has webbing, which the block isn't as strong as they were 5 years before that. It's still a strong block, but if you're planning on making a drag car out of it, that block may not hold up as well. Sounds like you just want a cruiser and it could see some track time, so you're in good shape.

300 hp can very easily be achieved from a 350 Olds and for not too much cash either. If you get a cam from Mondello or check out the Comp Cam kits on Summit throw on a Edelbrock Performer RPM Manifold and maybe 5a heads (may already have them) you'll be up in the 300 area. You could go the extra few yards and take those heads to a maching shop, get them cleaned up, and put some new stainless valve in there. (2.000 on the intake and 1.675 on the exhasut I think) you'll have a really nice cruiser. Throw on a 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's to really turn heads

Where in NJ are you? I'm right across the river from trenton, and I grew up in Philly, about 10 miles or so from Palymra. I race at englishtown in the summer
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Great ideas guys! Anything will help, I love that car... I drive an acura as a daily driver and have been to the Englishtown Raceway with that... but there is no substitute for my 77. I am not looking to go all OEM, I want to enjoy it and have some fun. Right now it's got a 4bbl carb but there is definately room for some improvements on her. Does anyone have a place they have gone to for interiors too? I know I am asking alot but seeing this site gets me wanting to finish her up early 2007. The car is in Eatontown, exit 105 on the Parkway at my parents place, I live in Hoboken so if in the new year anyone wanted to meet up I am up for that. I might have a place called Eddies Performance Motors in Sayerville work on the engine.... anyone heard anything about them?
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I've heard of Sayerville, but that's about it