2GC rebuild woes.

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM

2GC rebuild woes.

Well, I was fully into wanting to rebuild my 2GC on my 73 Delta (350) but as it looks now the car can't be down for a week. I have kids in school and one going to college and no back up car to drive.

So, with that said, my search for a replacement 2GC is not going well either. However, I do see some listed on Ebay but they are listed for Chevy and Pontiac.

So here's my quandary: Do I go for a rebuilt 2GC or do I upgrade to a 4bbl intake and go for a quad. jet - WHICH there seems to be more of those around - OR, go for a 4bbl intake and go with an edelbrock or holley carb. I have some $$ to spend but not a whole lot.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks, Paul
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Hi Paul
That depends on what your end goals are. I like the quadrajet carbs myself, but if your happy with the 2bbl I probably have 4 or 5 from 1970-72 vintage. If that would work for you, price would be one for $12.50 or two for $20 plus shipping. You would probably want to put in a gasket kit to make sure since they've been sitting in the garage for several years. I can send you photos ahead of time so you can evaluate the condition(s). John
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 77GCSX
... the car can't be down for a week.

Why a week?

Rebuilding that carb and putting it back on should take about four hours, six tops, maybe add another for adjustments.

Booking out a whole day should give you more than enough time to do the job and have a couple of unscheduled Major Problems as well.

If you're concerned about downtime, then buy one of John's carbs, rebuild that, and take the car out of service for ½ hour (okay, maybe an hour) to swap them.

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM

Alright, after some thought on this subject and digging around for some extra cash, I've come up with a couple/few questions:

#1 - Why is it when I do a search on Summit's site for a 73 Olds 350 do the results give me carbs that DON'T work. These would be 64-7798 and 64-7799. They are for 1971 and OLDER Oldsmobiles, or so I've been told that they won't work. If they will then GREAT! No more searching.

#2 - Would this carb from Holley work:

http://www.holley.com/types/Two%20Barrel%20Street.asp

If not why and if it would, would I need to swap base plates.

OR, better yet, WHAT carbs would be 99% plug and play?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by 77GCSX; November 21st, 2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 77GCSX
#1 - Why is it when I do a search on Summit's site for a 73 Olds 350 do the results give me carbs that DON'T work. These would be 64-7798 and 64-7799. They are for 1971 and OLDER Oldsmobiles, or so I've been told that they won't work. If they will then GREAT! No more searching.

#2 - Would this carb from Holley work:

http://www.holley.com/types/Two%20Barrel%20Street.asp

If not why and if it would, would I need to swap base plates.

OR, better yet, WHAT carbs would be 99% plug and play?
Seems to me you're making this too complicated.

You want to keep the car on the road, and minimize downtime.
Why are you looking at carbs that are completely different from what you've got, and that would require you to change the manifold as well as the carb?

I'd recommend buying a carb from John, which would be 100% plug and play, giving it a quick rebuild, and bolting it on, then you can consider what else you may or may not want to do to the engine at your own pace, and buy the right parts as they come along.

- Eric