Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

Uploading pictures in a PM

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Uploading pictures in a PM

Good news. You can now upload pictures within a PM the same way as posting within a thread.
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

The single caveat we've seen thus far which may influence some members is the ability to upload an image in a PM appears to be dependent on usage of the "Mountain" icon when using a mobile device. If some members are used to using the "Paper Clip" icon you most likely will NOT see the Paper Clip icon on your mobile device; therefore, the "Mountain" icon is the correct icon to use to upload (insert) an image into a PM. Therefore, look for the "Mountain" icons to insert/upload an image into a PM.

We sorta just figured this out:

Adding photos to PM's
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Administrator

For posting pictures from a device I always use the mountain icon. For pictures and videos off the web, I right click copy (URL) and paste.
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Running On Empty

Exactly. However, some members may or may not see the Paper Clip icon (which was the case with Chris) - had always been using the Paper Clip icon in the past. The Paper Clip icon is not available in the upload feature to a PM (that I have been able to validate). It is possible, I haven't verified, IB has completely removed the Paper Clip icon for all uploads - even into a thread/post. I haven't validated this, yet. The ability to see and employ certain features (Paper Clip vs. Mountain, etc.) is highly dependent on the Browser interface & whether the viewer/member is viewing the website in 'View Full Website' mode or 'View Mobile Site' mode.

EDIT: The fact it is now an available feature will assist many members.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 30th, 2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:38 PM
Administrator

I always use the "view full site" even on my Iphone.
Old March 30th, 2023, 07:49 PM
Running On Empty

I always view full (CO) website on my iPhone, as well. There are subtle features which become available when using one or the other; and, again are highly dependent on the website a person is viewing, the Browser interface, etc. We're at the point in terms of technology where many websites are now able to ascertain if the user is viewing a website on a mobile device or a desktop PC and the website then serves up the best mode (full website or mobile website). Some websites are far ahead of the game and have been for years, other websites not so much. Historically, as the technology has advanced/changed, a web developer/programmer is tasked with developing a website for a desktop PC or a mobile device. Albeit, the embryonic stage of these interfaces is what gave lead to the notion of a "Web App". The industry is trying to move away from "Web Apps". IOW, why should a user have to download a Wells Fargo Web App to their mobile device just to use the website? The front-end of the (example) Wells Fargo website should be smart enough to know the user is employing a "mobile device" so let's just serve up a mobile device interface when it's known the user is using a mobile device. This will most likely become the "norm" for future development. No more "Web App" downloads from App Store; instead, just serve up the mobile version (makes sense really).