Not quite sure where to put this..

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Not quite sure where to put this..

Howdy all, new member and everything...my newly acquired 1980 Delta 88 brought me here. So, understanding my vessel doesntdoesn't quite allow me to put it in a class with an El Camino or an Impala...inquiring minds wonder how can I maybe boost horsepower, and get maybe a bit of a roar from it? Call me foolish, but if I have a big body, I'd like to have a big sound, and a biiiiit of speed to it too. It'll probably be limited, but im open to understanding if anypne has any input. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place, just looking to get this thing back up and running, just a bit quicker maybe...thanks all
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it would help to know what engine is in it.
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Those delta's are not as heavy as you may think they are. Go with a 455 some 3.73 gears i bet you will chew up and spit out a few chevy's
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM

i believe i have the standard 350 engine in it.
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Standard as in chevy or olds 350 ? The 350 can get you moving pretty good with some work but it depends on budget and goals. If you find a running 455 you will get more grunt to get that delta shakin. The 350 will take more work to keep up . If you just wanna lay a little rubber and have some fun then put some 3.73 gears in the rear and that will wake it up big time . Putting money into the 350 will be entirely based on what you power goals are and how worn the engine is.
Old July 19th, 2015, 10:55 PM

Sorry bout that, I have the Olds 350 in it. And honestly, I dont wanna race or anything like that...you know, it'll eventually be my lowrider..but i just wanna add a little more speed and kick to it. Obviously without draining gas, though its already a bit of a guzzler...Im trying to be as clear as possible, and am open to learning as much as I can. So if i need to clear anything up, let me know. thanks again for the advice and help..
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
Sorry bout that, I have the Olds 350 in it. And honestly, I dont wanna race or anything like that...you know, it'll eventually be my lowrider..but i just wanna add a little more speed and kick to it. Obviously without draining gas, though its already a bit of a guzzler...Im trying to be as clear as possible, and am open to learning as much as I can. So if i need to clear anything up, let me know. thanks again for the advice and help..
342,355,373 rear gear with a posi with move the car along.One thing to remember about these old factory posi units is {do not get on it around corners} period.They will not hold up to that type of abuse very long.Those 350 gas engines are not bad motors. If you really have a 350 and not a 307. It can have some Zip and still not be to hard on gas.The best bang for you money is get the rear end work done first.Then worry about what to do to the engine.Good luck with your low rider cruiser plan sound like fun to me.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM

Go with a 3.42 specially if you are going to run like a 13 in. wire wheel. the smaller the diameter of the tire it will bump up the gear.

Not really a lowrider not really a muscle car but its a nice in between. I since lowered the front significantly . Its a 77 pontiac boneville it has a 350 olds with 3.08 gears . Its a nice cruiser that my dad i a built with nothing but crusing in mind.

Old July 20th, 2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Go with a 3.42 specially if you are going to run like a 13 in. wire wheel. the smaller the diameter of the tire it will bump up the gear.

Not really a lowrider not really a muscle car but its a nice in between. I since lowered the front significantly . Its a 77 pontiac boneville it has a 350 olds with 3.08 gears . Its a nice cruiser that my dad i a built with nothing but crusing in mind.

jesus man, that things georgous. 3.73 gears, ill definitely look into that. are there any upsides to installing a cold air intake at all? im noticing if i cruise for a while, i get a good blast of hot air in the front seat as im moving...
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:16 PM

The blast of hot air is from your vents make sure they are closed . My old blazer was the same way if i didnt close the vents all the way like putting it to cold and putting it to no fan i would get hot air from time to time in the cabin area. The 3.73's will be a big big change but you will get higher crusing rpms personally i would do a 3.42 . If it was not my dads car i would have done a 3.42 in the bonneville but my dad just cruises . The engine thats in that car is one of my old engines i used to race with and its very basic stuff but that engine ran strong for what it was.