What Torque? - McLeod and ARP

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2024, 02:09 PM

What Torque? - McLeod and ARP

I'm installing a McLeod "11 inch Super Street Pro" pressure plate and clutch disc with ARP hardware. The McLeod instructions indicate a 35 ft/lb torque on the 3/8" bolts while the ARP instructions for their bolts call for 45 ft/lbs. Should I use the McLeod specs or ARP's?
Old February 7th, 2024, 05:10 PM

I'm pretty sure 35 is standard for 3/8 hardware and also the FSM spec. I can't tell you if 10 will make a difference one way or the other.
Old February 7th, 2024, 07:02 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

10ft/lb isn't ****. Do 45lb/ft per ARP with blue loctite on clean threads.
Old February 8th, 2024, 08:16 AM

If you are using ARP bolts then use their torque specs with whatever lube or thread locker they recommend. When you torque a bolt you are actually stretching it almost like a spring. Different materials need different torque to get the correct stretch.

And no matter what anybody says, 10 ft lbs can make a difference. Sometimes a lot sometimes not but the point is if a fastener manufacturer gives you a torque or stretch specification that is what you need to go by.
Old February 17th, 2024, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
I'm installing a McLeod "11 inch Super Street Pro" pressure plate and clutch disc with ARP hardware. The McLeod instructions indicate a 35 ft/lb torque on the 3/8" bolts while the ARP instructions for their bolts call for 45 ft/lbs. Should I use the McLeod specs or ARP's?
Step into the digital world with webcam vector These versatile tools for online communication have become essential in today's interconnected society. Illustrating webcams in vector art allows for dynamic representation, capturing the sleek design and functionality of these devices. Whether for virtual meetings, live streaming, or content creation, webcam vectors offer flexibility in design, enabling customization to match various platforms and aesthetics. Dive into the world of digital communication and express your creativity with webcam vectors. From minimalist designs to detailed renderings, let your imagination take center stage as you showcase the importance and ubiquity of webcams in our modern lives.
I would recommend using the McLeod specs for the 3/8" bolts, as they are specific to the pressure plate and clutch disc that you are installing. The ARP specs are more general and may not account for the exact fit and alignment of the McLeod components. Using the higher torque value of 45 ft/lbs could cause excessive stress or distortion on the pressure plate, which could affect its performance and durability. Therefore, I think it is safer and more reliable to use the lower torque value of 35 ft/lbs, as suggested by the manufacturer of the clutch kit.

Last edited by asaz1; February 17th, 2024 at 02:49 AM.
Old February 17th, 2024, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by billk
if you are using arp bolts then use their torque specs with whatever lube or thread locker they recommend. When you torque a bolt you are actually stretching it almost like a spring. Different materials need different torque to get the correct stretch.

And no matter what anybody says, 10 ft lbs can make a difference. Sometimes a lot sometimes not but the point is if a fastener manufacturer gives you a torque or stretch specification that is what you need to go by.
Old February 17th, 2024, 12:36 PM

Following up, I used the ARP recommended torque. I figure the properties of the bolt would determine the correct torque for proper performance.