Milling small block heads

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

To cc the heads, you really need a piece of transparent, smooth, flat material (such as glass or plexiglass) that you can lay across the sealing surface (with a thin layer of Vaseline on the sealing surface), otherwise you will have a VERY hard time being sure when the CC is full.

I found that using a piece of broken glass from a basement window, which had a bit of an inward curve at one spot, and laying it over the head, with the inward curve just leaving a bit of an opening at one edge of the CC, and tilting the work surface just the tiniest bit off of level, so that any bubbles float to the opening, instead of getting stuck, worked well.

You'll have to mess with it a few times before you really get it right.

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:52 PM

Done. All are dead nuts even +-.500 cc at 61 but the test was done by me so idk how exact that is. And bonus? The exhaust port divider is already flush w exhaust mating surface, crossovers are not filled. I'm gonna grind off the casting bump where the nonexistent egr would be tapped in and send em for milling.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds great!

Please note that in a thread on here somewhere, flow testing has showed that removing the EGR bumps had little if any effect on flow, so while it is fine to remove them, it's not worth going crazy over it.

There is a Head Porting thread from this past year, which is quite long and detailed (I forget its exact title), and which you may want to read if you feel like doing some mild porting before sending the heads out.

Also, I have found that when I polished the insides of the combustion chambers fairly well, my octane requirement dropped by at least 2-3 points (your mileage may vary), so doing that may be helpful, though when you are done you will have to re-cc them, as you can easily gain a cc that way.

- Eric