Edelbrock Heads Update?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2022, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
What about their bigger boats? Did they put 350 or 403’s in those after they quit making 455’s? Did they run better/faster than with 455’s?
bigger boats like the Tahiti day cruisers got the 455 . The crossover years 75 through 77 is when manufacturers used both big and small blocks.

big water boats like cabin cruisers were made with twin jet 455’s. Very rare to see them
Old November 12th, 2022, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
there were factory production jet bots with the small block Olds . Tahiti for one put the sbo in their smaller boats. Both the 350 and 403

I have a SeaRay SRV 190 with a bbo. Early 70’s deep V
Dale do you have any experience running a prop and what they like compared to Jet?
Old November 12th, 2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Dale do you have any experience running a prop and what they like compared to Jet?
Not Dale but the prop jobs are faster.
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Not Dale but the prop jobs are faster.
usually yes..but jets are quicker with comparable engines
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I almost bought a 76, was mostly restored with a supposedl 400HP Olds 350, $10K asking price. I mainly fish and remember how my BIL 2004 3 cyl inboard couldn't get into shallow water like my old Vhaul or my current 16 ft Lund Fury can. You would be surprised how many fish hang out in really shallow water. Plus my Lund being so light, the 25HP outboard actually moves it quite well. Cool to learn more about the Olds powered boats. It is weird a Performer was chosen over even a Torquer intake for a boat, as said, mostly full throttle is used.
Old November 13th, 2022, 12:22 PM

usually yes..but jets are quicker with comparable engines
Do the props and jets both like the same power curve?
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Do the props and jets both like the same power curve?
No
Old November 18th, 2022, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hglintner
Just incase anyone is interested in potential torque and HP with the new 60125 heads here you go. Engine built for jet boat and built with recommended parts from Bernard Mondello in Corona. It has performer intake, SRP 60 over pistons, eagle rods, Howard roller cam with 4-7 swap, Harlan Sharpe rockers, QFT 850 carb.

Looks like your engine made to Motortrend https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/45...tech-dyno-test
Old November 18th, 2022, 06:59 AM

Please don't shoot the messenger, but is that a good number for these types of builds??? I have knowledge of Chevy and Ford stuff, even Mopar. But a 455 bored to 468, the new latest and greatest Edelbrock Gen III heads, aftermarket intake and carb, headers ignition. Is the cam just holding this back that much??? I would sorta expect this to top 550Hp myself or is that asking to much?
Old November 18th, 2022, 07:18 AM

You guys...... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Dyno size queens!

Congrats on the "ink", if it's yours.
Old November 19th, 2022, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by New2oldsw30
Please don't shoot the messenger, but is that a good number for these types of builds? But a 455 bored to 468, the new latest and greatest Edelbrock Gen III heads, aftermarket intake and carb, headers ignition. Is the cam just holding this back that much??? YES I would sorta expect this to top 550Hp myself or is that asking to much?
The cam is pretty small by big block standards. Yes there’s definitely more in it with more cam and compression, even in street trim.
Bottom line is these new heads are better than the previous version hands down, apples to apples.
You’re welcome everyone.😉.
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:44 AM

Bottom line is these new heads are better than the previous version hands down, apples to apples.
You’re welcome everyone.😉.
Dale, since your doing both. The ported Speedmasters will outrun the OOTB Edelbrock, BUT BY HOW MUCH? And all things being equal, if one were to build and engine wit the fully ported Speedmasters, then swaps to fully ported Edelbrocks, how much more power will the Edelbrocks make?

To me, on a street/strip or none class competitive build, it's more the ROI of the parts? Say if you buy Speedmasters, and run 11.50 for $1,000.00. Or you spend $3,500 and run 11.30's? To me, on the street, I would save the $2,500 and go Speedmaster. Maybe spend some $$$ to port them and be right with the Edelbrock heads?
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:50 AM

Peyton Hunt is already getting more from a ported set of the new Edelbrocks vs a set of Speedmasters he did not long ago. And even my CNC’d Speedmasters don’t match what he’s gotten so far from the Edelbrocks. In his words, “these are the best off the shelf head I’ve ever seen for an Olds”. He and I have a few other things we’re going to try on the new ones as well.
Just an fyi.
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:05 AM

Mark, I would certainly expect the gen III Edelbrocks to out preform, just by how much is the question. 20 cfm 60 cfm????

Last edited by New2oldsw30; November 19th, 2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Please don't shoot the messenger, but is that a good number for these types of builds??? I have knowledge of Chevy and Ford stuff, even Mopar. But a 455 bored to 468, the new latest and greatest Edelbrock Gen III heads, aftermarket intake and carb, headers ignition. Is the cam just holding this back that much??? I would sorta expect this to top 550Hp myself or is that asking to much?
John

To give you an idea of what you need for 11.30s: In the 80s there was a white collar type of guy that would show up at the track with a beautiful Cuttlas, air conditioning fully loaded driver on slicks, of course this was before aftermarket anything for engine parts, it ran 11.90s on its best day on a 1200 foot elevation track, 455 with a Comp 292 hyd cam, tight converter. Now surely in todays world theres another 6 tenths there somewhere. Dale knows exactly what to do, just make sure the trans is right, infact just buy a Coan trans and be done with it, not the best, but good. And as you know, the car setup is more important than the engine, a real 500-550 HP engine is simple, setting up the car isn't.

My 455 Olds build made 547 HP with the factory intake and a Q-Jet-don't worry...........

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 19th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old November 19th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Mark, I would certainly expect the gen III Edelbrocks to out preform, just by how much is the question. 20 cfm 60 cfm????
It’s different amounts throughout the lift range but 10-15 would be a good numbers. Different combustion chamber though too.
Old November 19th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
John

To give you an idea of what you need for 11.30s: In the 80s there was a white collar type of guy that would show up at the track with a beautiful Cuttlas, air conditioning fully loaded driver on slicks, of course this was before aftermarket anything for engine parts, it ran 11.90s on its best day on a 1200 foot elevation track, 455 with a Comp 292 hyd cam, tight converter. Now surely in todays world theres another 6 tenths there somewhere. Dale knows exactly what to do, just make sure the trans is right, infact just buy a Coan trans and be done with it, not the best, but good. And as you know, the car setup is more important than the engine, a real 500-550 HP engine is simple, setting up the car isn't.

My 455 Olds build made 547 HP with the factory intake and a Q-Jet-don't worry...........
Mark, not worrying. Just trying to learn. NEVER been a fan of the Edelbrock heads, well other then Big Victor III! But we all know the issues about getting them.

I'm doing up a set of Speedmasters now, opening to 2.125 intakes. Spoken to Dale on a number of occasions and think we will push the limits a bit? Cam still isn't figured out speck wise, but is billet core and BAM lifter deal. Had a set back but hoping heads will be buttoned up soon as all the hardware is in now (spring locks retainers etc).

Was trying to figure what we could be leaving on the table power wise with Speedmasters vs Edelbrocks? I know we'll make too much power now with my $600 heads anyway. Figuring we'll be over 600Hp once it's all sorted out.

BUT if I played with the new Edelbrocks, and cammed for them, would we be 640???? Or plus 40Hp? Foe ME, to use these more expensive Edelbrocks, they would HAVE to be 40Hp better. Since you can probably make that up by working the Speedmaster for about a grand $ wise.
Old December 9th, 2022, 06:38 AM

Had a lengthy conversation with my Edelbrock contact yesterday at the PRI. The small block heads WILL happen. However they’re in the process of adding new equipment as well as streamlining their valve job variety and machining techniques so we’re looking at mid year next year. They’ll have their latest processes and modifications though. It is what it is.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 9th, 2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old March 31st, 2023, 07:27 AM

I know the Harland Sharp S5016 rockers were recommended for the last gen Edelbrock heads. Are they still recommended with these heads over rockers like the s5003? Thanks
Old March 31st, 2023, 07:47 AM

Yes, the 5016 has much better rocker geometry than the 5003.
Old August 25th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Update; small block heads are still in the works. New target date is SEMA.
Old August 26th, 2023, 10:18 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Hope they hit there target one of these days lol, might help to have them out just before xmas.
Old January 26th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Strange…. My comment was removed. Wonder who is the sissy little girl?
Old January 26th, 2024, 10:25 AM

Update; small block heads are still in the works. New target date is SEMA.
which year?
Old January 26th, 2024, 11:01 AM

which year?

Old January 26th, 2024, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DR_DAN
don’t be so mean to Mark, it’s not his fault Edelbrock keeps lying to him
Old January 26th, 2024, 01:08 PM

don’t be so mean to Mark, it’s not his fault Edelbrock keeps lying to him
Dale seriously it’s getting old
Old January 26th, 2024, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DR_DAN
Dale seriously it’s getting old
What’s getting old is the failed promises…shut up about it and do it.

Old January 26th, 2024, 06:01 PM

What’s getting old is the failed promises…shut up about it and do it.
That’s rich coming from you. Someone who has done NOTHING to bring products to the Olds community. Yet you’re going to sit and bitch about it. WOW!
Old January 26th, 2024, 08:56 PM

That’s rich coming from you. Someone who has done NOTHING to bring products to the Olds community. Yet you’re going to sit and bitch about it. WOW!
I never said I would bring anything to the market..that’s what you do.

Ive been more than willing to buy parts from you and I have in that past. I’ve committed to a couple cranks , said I would put deposits down,,, those cranks never happened

guys on here have been begging for heads and cranks and you got the nerve to blast them for being impatient when the dates YOU keep giving don’t happen? How about quit giving dates?…then you won’t have to flip the blame onto the customer.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 26th, 2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old January 27th, 2024, 05:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What unfortunate is the on going delays on products, far from just Edelbrock. What isn't a good sign is farming out your finished product. Hard to control a third party short of breaking ties with them. What is hilarious, blaming Mark for Edelbrock dragging their feet. Outside I go, to piece together my Terminator X Max.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 27th, 2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old February 13th, 2024, 03:41 PM

"What's unfortunate is the on going delays on products, far from just Edelbrock. What isn't a good sign is farming out your finished product
It's not farmed out. The Pat Musi thing is bullshit. That division only does high performance work, not production work. Hard to control a third party short of breaking ties with them. What is hilarious, is blaming Mark for Edelbrock dragging their feet. He blames me for everything anyway."

I was assured again today by Edelbrock that the small block head WILL happen. Hopefully yet this year.
I'm not going to go into anymore detail at this point. When I get more real world info I'll pass it along.

Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 13th, 2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old February 13th, 2024, 06:04 PM

"What's unfortunate is the on going delays on products, far from just Edelbrock. What isn't a good sign is farming out your finished product
It's not farmed out. The Pat Musi thing is bullshit. That division only does high performance work, not production work. Hard to control a third party short of breaking ties with them. What is hilarious, is blaming Mark for Edelbrock dragging their feet. He blames me for everything anyway."

I was assured again today by Edelbrock that the small block head WILL happen. Hopefully yet this year.
I'm not going to go into anymore detail at this point. When I get more real world info I'll pass it along.

Thanks.
the Pat Musi thing is bs? Oh really…. nobody mentioned him but you…you specifically said he does some of Edelbrocks machining.

why talk now like it wasn’t you that said it?

how about you passing it on to the sales dept at Edelbrock that they shouldn’t pigeon hole these small chamber heads as being “small block”

they should be marketed as “small chamber” Because there will be just as much need for them on low compression big blocks that have the big dish pistons.

Old February 13th, 2024, 06:21 PM

the Pat Musi thing is bs? Oh really…. nobody mentioned him but you…you specifically said he does some of Edelbrocks machining.
Yes for the high performance stuff only. And it’s been mentioned here and on FB.

how about you passing it on to the sales dept at Edelbrock that they shouldn’t pigeon hole these small chamber heads as being “small block”

they should be marketed as “small chamber” Because there will be just as much need for them on low compression big blocks that have the big dish pistons.
Again do you really think their extensive application possibilities haven’t been discussed? Why else would they entertain even doing them? CHRIST, AGAIN you take me for an idiot!
And please don’t buy those either. The csa is too big remember? Even though the two Dyno sheets you reposted of mine awhile back were the wrong ones. The one with less low end was with a Victor, not with the same RPM I used with the stock irons.

Thank you.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 13th, 2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old February 13th, 2024, 08:45 PM

Again do you really think their extensive application possibilities haven’t been discussed? Why else would they entertain even doing them? CHRIST, AGAIN you take me for an idiot!
And please don’t buy those either. The csa is too big remember? Even though the two Dyno sheets you reposted of mine awhile back were the wrong ones. The one with less low end was with a Victor, not with the same RPM I used with the stock irons.

Thank you.
Why not post what you really wanted to say? Oh dear, what will I ever do without a crank from you..I may have to shut everything down here. I didn’t post any wrong dyno sheets of yours..I posted the truth. The one with the Victor was a dog because you don’t understand airspeed or CSA.

your obsession with me thinking you’re an idiot is weird..if I thought you were an idiot, I would say , hey Mark, you are one special idiot.. I’ve never said that.

Old February 13th, 2024, 08:48 PM

12 cranks on the way.
Old February 14th, 2024, 06:12 AM

Oh dear, what will I ever do without a crank from you..I may have to shut everything down here.
And the reverse is true. If I have to gauge the success or failure of this project by your purchase of one or two cranks, then I wasted my time, effort, and money.

Have a nice day.
Old February 14th, 2024, 07:15 AM

And the reverse is true. If I have to gauge the success or failure of this project by your purchase of one or two cranks, then I wasted my time, effort, and money.

Have a nice day.
then you should stop begging for drama by always ending your announcements here telling me to not buy something. you’re acting like a teenage girl who loud talks within ear shot about another girl

grow up.

Old February 17th, 2024, 05:43 PM

Omfg 🤦🏻‍♂️