Eagle Rods vs Stock Rods Weight

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2020, 11:59 PM

Eagle Rods vs Stock Rods Weight

What is the weight difference between an Eagle H Beam rod vs stock Olds 455 rod?

Old December 25th, 2020, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
What is the weight difference between an Eagle H Beam rod vs stock Olds 455 rod?
30-40 grams normally, Eagle is actually lighter.
Old December 25th, 2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
30-40 grams normally, Eagle is actually lighter.
So an Eagle rod is about 30-40 grams lighter than a stock rod?
Old December 25th, 2020, 02:03 PM

So an Eagle rod is about 30-40 grams lighter than a stock rod?
Uhhh yeah. I guess I wasn’t clear on that? Thought I was.
Old December 25th, 2020, 04:25 PM

Uhhh yeah. I guess I wasn’t clear on that? Thought I was.
Would you agree you can get 40 grams out of a stock rod?
Old December 25th, 2020, 04:43 PM

So when rebuilding a 455, it's really not worth the time and money to try and reuse factory rods. Trovato's book states that factory forged rods are good for throwing into the garbage as they are very unreliable above 450HP. The big end never remains true.

The Eagle rods are around $500 so it seems like a no brainer. They are lighter and much stronger than factory rods.
Old December 25th, 2020, 04:53 PM

The big end never remains true.
The Eagle rods are around $500 so it seems like a no brainer. They are lighter and much stronger than factory rods.
That’s the biggest problem, very hard to get them to repeat once they’re apart and back together.
Old December 25th, 2020, 05:27 PM

So when rebuilding a 455, it's really not worth the time and money to try and reuse factory rods. Trovato's book states that factory forged rods are good for throwing into the garbage as they are very unreliable above 450HP. The big end never remains true.

On my last 455 build I used Eagle rods, I had to equalized them, I resized them, I had to pin fit the small end, I had to modify the bearing tangs, I then had a decent set of rods to use.
Old December 25th, 2020, 06:25 PM

Pulled the engine out and dropped the pan. This was at the bottom of the pan. Haven't pulled the heads off yet. It was running but was burning oil and blowing smoke.

Any guesses what that chunk of aluminum is? Piston?

Old December 26th, 2020, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
On my last 455 build I used Eagle rods, I had to equalized them, I resized them, I had to pin fit the small end, I had to modify the bearing tangs, I then had a decent set of rods to use.
Very informative thanks for posting.
Old December 26th, 2020, 08:27 AM

As I said before, you should’ve sent them back if they were really that bad.
And as is typical with your political style, you don’t always tell the whole story. You should’ve noticed by now that virtually all aftermarket bushed rods will come thru on the tight side. That’s fully intentional in case you haven’t figured that out yet.
I also have to wonder if you used the right rod bearing. If you use the Clevite HN they always fit perfectly.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 26th, 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old December 26th, 2020, 08:49 AM

This is the upper rod bearing. Is this "normal" wear or is the factory rod big end having issues?

Old December 26th, 2020, 09:33 AM

This is the upper rod bearing. Is this "normal" wear or is the factory rod big end having issues?

No. Also looks like either detonation or an out of balance situation.
Old December 26th, 2020, 11:55 AM

That bearing and the chunk of aluminum seem to point towards detonation.
Old December 27th, 2020, 07:16 AM

As I said before, you should’ve sent them back if they were really that bad.
And as is typical with your political style, you don’t always tell the whole story. You should’ve noticed by now that virtually all aftermarket bushed rods will come thru on the tight side. That’s fully intentional in case you haven’t figured that out yet.
I also have to wonder if you used the right rod bearing. If you use the Clevite HN they always fit perfectly.

The big end of the rods were not tight or low on the spec, they were over the high side of the spec, which is sometimes the case with Scat or Eagle rods. Now its possible I have different measuring equipment (Sunnen) than you which could possibly give a different measurement than you could be getting. As far as the tangs go, I would never force a bearing into a tang, that was the reasoning behind remachining the tangs. And the question I have is: is it a good idea to run a Clevite HN bearing on a cast crank? At the same time I equalized and resized the rods I was able to oval hone the rods a big plus in my opinion. I don't send low end aftermarket parts back, I don't have the time, I have put together a operation that allows me to fix or modify parts to meet my expectations. The results speak for themselves.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 27th, 2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old December 27th, 2020, 07:41 AM

I mentioned the small ends typically needs attention on all aftermarket rods. So the small end was over the high spec and you had to rebush them? “I had to pin fit the small end”. That’s what you said initially. So that wasn’t the case or was it? Your statement is confusing based on my initial point.
As far as HN bearings go for an Olds, when you use a CAST Eagle crank you HAVE to use then cuz of the radius. And using them on a regular N crank wouldn’t be any different. The rod is what flexes as much as anything. So, if you’re using a good solid rod and your clearances are correct for the application, then you should have 0 issues. I’m speaking from first hand experience because I’ve done dozens of Olds 455 builds. You’ve done two, but apparently you’re now an expert. I gotcha.
And I guess you can’t take 5 minutes to call Eagle, tell them you have a bad set, order another right away then return the bad ones when you have a few minutes? You know when you’re not on here spewing trash? Oh that’s right, you don’t make any money if you don’t have to “fix” something.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 27th, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old December 27th, 2020, 08:05 AM

So the small end was over the high spec and you had to rebush them? That’s not what you said initially.
As far as HN bearings go for an Olds, when you use a CAST Eagle crank you HAVE to use then cuz of the radius. And using them on a regular N crank wouldn’t be any different. The rod is what flexes as much as anything. So, if you’re using a good solid rod and your clearances are correct for the application, then you should have 0 issues. I’m speaking from first hand experience because I’ve done dozens of Olds 455 builds. You’ve done two, but apparently you’re now an expert. I gotcha.
And I guess you can’t take 5 minutes to call Eagle, tell them you have a bad set, order another right away then return the bad ones when you have a few minutes? You know when you’re not on here spewing trash? Oh that’s right, you don’t make any money if you don’t have to “fix” something.

Mark

Its good to see you back feeling good! You are right the small end is undersize, its the big end that I usually find out of spec (BIG).
As I sit here eating breakfast I've tried to count the 455 Oldsmobiles I've built from the ground up, and I come up with 26 builds. I will proudly state with (0) (ZERO) bearing failures.

"You know when you’re not on here spewing trash? Oh that’s right, you don’t make any money if you don’t have to “fix” something"
CutlassEFI.

LOL. Ok I'am going to take a stab at this, Think I know what your trying to say....................its like breaking cullasefi code LOL.

So what I think your saying/posting............When I find a part I'am not comfortable using in a build, I fix that part and charge the customer? I think thats what your saying/posting...... right, your dam right thats what I do, of course I would call the customer and ask them what they want me to do first.

I truly do appreciate your point of view on here and would never want you to change!

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 27th, 2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old December 27th, 2020, 09:36 AM

Mark

Its good to see you back feeling good! You are right the small end is undersize, its the big end that I usually find out of spec (BIG).
As I sit here eating breakfast I've tried to count the 455 Oldsmobiles I've built from the ground up, and I come up with 26 builds. I will proudly state with (0) (ZERO) bearing failures.

I truly do appreciate your point of view on here and would never want you to change!
I am thank you.
Then if the small end was small and the big end was big then say that, consistently. Your sentence/thought structure needs some help to say the least. Or you’re just practicing to become a politician.😀

For the record, some of your posts suggest unfamiliarity with certain scenarios. I’m just commenting on your own statements that’s all.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 27th, 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old December 27th, 2020, 09:47 AM

Talking

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;1304108]Then if the small end was small and the big end was big then say that, consistently. Your sentence/thought structure needs some help to say the least. Or you’re just practicing to become a politician.😀

For the record, some of your posts suggest unfamiliarity with certain scenarios. I’m just commenting on your own statements that’s all.[/QUOTE

See post 15 pretty clear what I said/posted.
Old December 27th, 2020, 11:10 AM

Reread post # 8 then reread post #15 and tell me they’re saying the exact same thing. They don’t. You omitted clarification regarding the small end.
You’re consistently inconsistent. But that’s fine. Now I know not to take your posts at face value, no problem, really.
Done with you here.
Old December 27th, 2020, 11:59 AM

So when you get the Eagle rods, what bearing manufacturer should you use?

Old December 27th, 2020, 11:59 AM

Could "over-revving" cause the piston ring land to break off?

Last edited by pettrix; December 27th, 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old December 27th, 2020, 01:16 PM

VORTECPRO
Could you explain the benefits of oval honing a aftermarket rod?
What was the added cost to blueprint the rods?
When building a big block Oldsmobile with a factory weight piston and rod what bearing clearance would you run?
Using a stock rod?
Using a aftermarket rod?
Thanks
Bernhard
Old December 27th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Could "over-revving" cause the piston ring land to break off?

Based on what your rod bearings looked like as well as this piston I’d say you had pretty severe detonation.
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
VORTECPRO
Could you explain the benefits of oval honing a aftermarket rod?
What was the added cost to blueprint the rods?
When building a big block Oldsmobile with a factory weight piston and rod what bearing clearance would you run?
Using a stock rod?
Using a aftermarket rod?
Thanks
Bernhard
1. Could you explain the benefits of oval honing a aftermarket rod?
It gives you the ability to tighten the vertical clearance on a large rod journal engine.

2. What was the added cost to blueprint the rods?
I charge 250.00 on a aftermarket set of rods to oval hone, center to center, pin fit small end.

3. When building a big block Oldsmobile with a factory weight piston and rod what bearing clearance would you run?
I don't know I use light weight components and lighten them from there. Battenrunner had heavy aftermarket components and ran .0028 on the rods.

4. Using a stock rod?
I have used .0028 with production Olds rods. ZERO problems.

You have to understand my way of measuring might be different than someone else. I know with my Buick I fine tuned the bearing clearance over time.
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:33 PM

1. Could you explain the benefits of oval honing a aftermarket rod?
It gives you the ability to tighten the vertical clearance on a large rod journal engine.

2. What was the added cost to blueprint the rods?
I charge 250.00 on a aftermarket set of rods to oval hone, center to center, pin fit small end.

3. When building a big block Oldsmobile with a factory weight piston and rod what bearing clearance would you run?
I don't know I use light weight components and lighten them from there. Battenrunner had heavy aftermarket components and ran .0028 on the rods.

4. Using a stock rod?

You have to understand my way of measuring might be different than someone else. I know with my Buick I fine tuned the bearing clearance over time.
Thanks for the reply very informative as usual !
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:36 PM

Your welcome!
Old December 27th, 2020, 04:49 PM

This is engine builder specific and it has to do with how hard the bearing surface is. A harder bearing can take more load but is harder on the crank surface.
A soft bearing is kinder to the crank surface. The majority of Olds crankshafts are cast and thus softer than a steel crank. You can have the cast crank nitrated to add surface hardness.
Old December 27th, 2020, 05:09 PM

I used these, Battenrunner put the parts together on my last build.
Sealed Power 8-3345P .010
Old December 27th, 2020, 05:20 PM

This is what came off the current factory rod. I believe they are Federal Mogul?

Old December 27th, 2020, 05:24 PM

If making around 460HP, would you stick with factory rods or go Eagle?

Trovato in his book says factory rods are good up to 400HP, after that, they belong in the trash.
Old December 27th, 2020, 06:02 PM

If making around 460HP, would you stick with factory rods or go Eagle?

Trovato in his book says factory rods are good up to 400HP, after that, they belong in the trash.
I think you should go aftermarket. I also believe if Bill oval honed rods he wouldn't need .004 rod clearance.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 27th, 2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old December 28th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Are the Speed Pro pistons any good?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ake/oldsmobile

Old December 28th, 2020, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't do that, you can't trust the ring lands or much any thing else on those pistons. If your going to build a engine do it right, get good parts find a quality machine shop in your area. Where are you in Utah?
Old December 28th, 2020, 05:50 PM

No, used to be all we had to choose from but much better stuff out there now.
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:10 AM

No, used to be all we had to choose from but much better stuff out there now.
I was looking at JE Pistons and CP-Carrillo pistons.

Any suggestions?
Old December 29th, 2020, 09:15 AM

I was looking at JE Pistons and CP-Carrillo pistons.

Any suggestions?
Can’t go wrong with either one. But both will give you 9.75-10.0:1 depending on head cc etc.
Old December 29th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Where are the SpeedPro pistons now made?

The olds 1990's TRWs, were they made in the USA back then?

Old December 29th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Most of the Speed Pro pistons are now made in India. Says it right on the box.
Old December 29th, 2020, 08:33 PM

Is it a good idea to rerun the Cast Nodular factory crank or get the Eagle Cast Steel crank?

Quick Reply: Eagle Rods vs Stock Rods Weight