1974 Delta 88 actuator and steering...

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Looking for parts - please help!

I don't know anything about cars. I have a 1974 Olds Delta convertible. We have never driven it very much. My mechanic said it needs an actuator and a steering column service kit with bearings. Where does one find those or are they available? I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:27 PM

1974 Delta 88 actuator and steering...

I'm looking for an actuator and steering column service kit with bearings for a 74 Royale. Thank you!
Old July 29th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. An "actuator" for what? As for the steering column, I'm not aware of a rebuild "kit". This company sells column parts individually. You may find that a whole column is less expensive than the parts.
Old July 29th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Well, I know very little but it all has to do with the steering column. Does that help? My mechanic said it goes at the base of the steering column, I think. I didn't realize there were different actuators until just now I was doing doing a Google search and saw there were different kinds. Thank you for the link. I'll check it out. If I have to go with a whole column, where would I look and how specific does it have to be? I mean will a column from any Delta 88 from that year work or does it have to be a Royale? I'm so new to this. Thank you so much!

P.s. I just looked at the site you gave me and their "tilt steering column complete overhaul kit" lists a dimmer actuator. So maybe that's it?

Last edited by Kristinski; July 29th, 2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have never heard the word "actuator" used in any sense with regard to any part of an American car from the '60s or '70s, so I, too, have absolutely no idea what part you are talking about.
To the best of my knowledge, the '74 Delta has foot-operated high beams, which have nothing to do with the steering column.

What country are you in?

- Eric
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:33 PM

U.s.
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Then I'm totally baffled.

If you'd said "Sweden" or something, I'd figure it was just a language thing.

Please let us know when you have more information.

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:09 AM

By actuator, does your mechanic/you mean one of the convertible top actuators or gear boxes? Or does everything pertain to the steering column only?
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Actuator" is a generic term that could apply to almost anything. We need more specific info to be helpful Is your mechanic talking about a part within the steering column? A power lock actuator? A window motor actuator? An anti-diesel solenoid actuator? Kinda hard to provide useful info without a more specific description. Sorry.
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:47 AM

No, the top and windows are all fine. All the problems are in the steering column. He tried to explain it to me, but I'm 25% Italian and 103% Polish, so I missed a lot. He described it as being like a gear. What happened is it was running great. My niece drives it 2 or 3 times a week and she had run some errands and she got home and when she tried to turn the key it wouldn't move. She jiggled it lightly (she's very careful) and then the key just turned almost 180 without engaging the ignition. My brother said we needed an ignition switch, so we got one and when the mechanic opened it up he saw that wasn't the problem. I'll talk to my guy Monday and he may be able to find the parts, but he said it would probably be hard to find them, so I wanted to get a jump on things. Also, I don't know how many old cars he works on. I've had the car since 1994 and other than a new top, this is the only major thing that's gone wrong with it. I really appreciated you guys talking me through this!
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need an ignition rack and pinion (or one of those), though you need to disassemble the column to be completely certain which part is bad.

Easiest to get one from a junkyard - I'm not certain whether these are still available new.

Is your wheel tilt, tilt-tele, or fixed?

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM

It's definitely tilt, but I'm pretty sure it is not telescoping.
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

I suspected this "actuator" was the lock cylinder rack and pinion gear. As Eric noted, they are different for tilt and non-tilt columns. The link I provided above sells these parts.

Old July 30th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kristinski
It's definitely tilt, but I'm pretty sure it is not telescoping.
$20 for the kit.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...oth-design.php
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:04 PM

Steering Columns.

Originally Posted by Kristinski
I don't know anything about cars. I have a 1974 Olds Delta convertible. We have never driven it very much. My mechanic said it needs an actuator and a steering column service kit with bearings. Where does one find those or are they available? I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Hello, I have several good used steering columns, tilt and non tilt. I am also a little confused, on what you actually need. I'll pm you my cell #, may be I can help.
Jim.
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Check it out! Here's another source for these parts:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-8...ition+rack+kit

You can also use the Dorman part number at your local auto parts store and they should be able to get them. I recently did this repair to my 71 98.