Need spindle hex nut for '73 Toro

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:44 PM

Need axle hex nut for '73 Toronado spindle

Howdy, y'all.

I need a slotted hex nut for the right front spindle on my 1973 Toronado. The threads on the one I have have worn out due to years of corrosion.

I can't seem to find a replacement. I've checked all the usual stores such as Fastenal and Grainger and they don't have it.

I also don't know the exact thread size for it. I know it's finer than 14, because that's the finest thread most stores carry for a 1 inch slotted hex nut, and even those don't fit. So, I can't find any slotted hex nuts that are 2cm tall, 1 inch in diameter, with threads finer than 14.

Because of this one little piece, I can't drive my ride. I'd really appreciate somebody finding this god-forsaken part, because right now, I've just been doing trial-and-error work, buying and returning parts, losing money, since most of these stores do not refund shipping.

I've checked junkyards as well and they don't have any 1973 GM E-body cars, so I can't take a hex nut off of that. It's driving me nuts (no pun intended).

Thanks!

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 13th, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:28 AM

I have a 71 Toronado so I have been looking for an extra hex nut. Im sure I have one ,finding it is another matter. I will keep looking and will let you know soon as I find it.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Interesting. Neither Dorman nor AMK shows it.

It's GM number 416627 and fits E-bodies from '66 - '78, as far as I can tell.

You won't find it in a hardware store, but you may find one in an old auto parts store (I'm sure Dorman used to make them) or GM dealer (if you've got a friendly parts guy), or at the junkyard.

One of the members here probably has one, too, if you post a Want-ad.

On a separate note: Corroded? I've never heard of a hub nut getting corroded - they're always covered with grease.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your thread to parts wanted. As Eric stated maybe someone can help you out here.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I don't know if corroded is the right word, but, either way, the nut itself has become an orange-ish color and the threads on it are nearly gone; almost flat. First noticed it when I was driving and the car started shaking severely. Got home, checked the wheel, found the threads on the nut were gone.

Hard to believe this one little piece is so rare. I haven't been able to drive the car for the past several months because of it. It's just been sitting in my garage, hooked up to a battery tender for months on end.

I'll check my local Chevrolet dealer to see if their GM parts division has anything they can offer.

Here's a picture of the car from six years ago:

Hopefully I can get back to driving it. Modern cars just don't have that fun factor that these old body-on-frame E-bodies have with the soft suspension and smooth power steering.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 5th, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old September 4th, 2015, 04:58 AM

On a separate note: Corroded? I've never heard of a hub nut getting corroded - they're always covered with grease.

The Toros and Eldos have the spindle nut exposed to the elements, unlike rear wheel drive cars.
Old September 4th, 2015, 05:19 AM

I have turned the garage upside down looking for that nut for you.I replaced the axles on my 71 and must have used the original ones for it(thought it came with new ones). I will keep looking and see if the part house down the road may be able to get one. Dont loss hope. Someone will find one.
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ostie13
I have turned the garage upside down looking for that nut for you.I replaced the axles on my 71 and must have used the original ones for it(thought it came with new ones). I will keep looking and see if the part house down the road may be able to get one. Dont loss hope. Someone will find one.
Thanks, man. Appreciate the effort.
Old September 5th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Checked with the local Chevrolet dealership and they said they don't stock any Oldsmobile parts from the 1970s. The joys of driving a discontinued marque! They referred me to YearOne.com and OPGI.com, but after checking there, neither website stocks any Oldsmobile parts, or any axle nuts for GM cars.

Of course, it figures. Can't thought it was going to have been that easy.

I'm wondering, if I were to purchase a new axle, would it come with a nut attached? Some of the pictures I've seen show a nut, others don't. After everything I've tried, it seems to be the only freaking way to get one of these damn nuts. But those things are pretty expensive.

So, I'm at a loss here.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 5th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just wondering - if no one here has the spindle nut. Ask the boys at DVAP to pull a couple for you and ship them. They have plenty of cars there to choose from.
I just looked at their inventory and they have at least 7 Toros that would have both the spindle nut and likely the front axles if you decided you wanted spares.

Check the condition of the threads on the axle spindle you said had the bad nut. Make sure the spindle threads aren't compromised.

Here's a link to their site. Desert Valley Auto Parts BTW, some of their cars are listed in the wrong year category but that's no problem if the spindles and axles are interchangeable.

I'm also wondering if the Buick Riviera and Cadillac Eldorado (1979-1999) should also be a compatible donor as they were full size FWD also and the spindles/axles might be the same threads??
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A member here should have one.

Another place to look would be Toronado.org.

A GM dealer is only useful if the parts guy knows you and likes you.
Any GM dealer can get any GM part from any GM Division, if the parts guy knows how.
The nut in question is obsolete, but there are often obsolete parts rattling around in the inventory of one dealer or another - a good parts guy who is motivated can often sniff these out, but one who is indifferent won't.

- Eric
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Allan, a nut from a '79-up car won't fit. They interchange up to '77, before they downsized.

Any E-body FWD car should have the same one, though.

- Eric
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I was thinking maybe the OP could try a Cadillac dealer. However considering the age a used part probably would be easier to find.
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Guys, I think I may have found the part I'm looking for. Is GMPartsOnline.net a legit site?
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Yes, its a legit site.
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes, its a legit site.
Thanks. Also found the nut at gmpartsdirect.com. I hope it's the right one.
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hmmmm... They want $3.12 for it. Looks like a reasonable price.

I'd call them to make sure it really exists, and didn't wander into their database by mistake.

- Eric
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Alright, purchased the nut from GMPartsOnline, the shipping charge is ridiculous, though. If everything turns out right, it'll come in the mail in a few days. I hope it's the right one, fingers crossed.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 5th, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old September 5th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There *should* be only one GM part corresponding to each part number, so if you ordered by number, and if they really do have it in stock, it should be fine.

- Eric
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Hope it works out.
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the help, guys.

Now, we wait...

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 5th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old September 6th, 2015, 05:49 AM

FYI I still have 40-50 parts cars, about 6 of which are Toronado, so getting stuff like that is only a matter of finding time and gas to get out there.

I can't buy the gas to go get a used one for $3 so if the GM part works, that's best, even with their absurd shipping.

I have never seen one of these deteriorate to the point of nut being useful, though. By RUST? you had better check the male threads very well for similar loss of material. Maybe it was cross threaded and ruined both. If the car was run with that nut loose, to the point of causing a noticeable wobble, your bearings may be shot as a result... or perhaps 'twas the cause.

Be prepared to dig in and fix what is needed
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Bad news. They (GM Parts Online) e-mailed me and said they don't have the part in stock and that it had been discontinued. I knew it, several days had passed and the order had not yet shipped.

I'll try GM Parts Direct. Hopefully they'll have it.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 8th, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They won't.

You need to go to a junkyard or buy one from someone here.

Really.

- Eric
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! I just checked all the pick n pulls websites. Nada - Zippo. So it's either Chris or that link I posted earlier for DVAP. Your call but DVAP can prolly get it for you purdy quick. Heck - get 2 or 3 just in case.

EDIT: too bad this wasn't 2 years ago. There were 3 77 Toros sitting in the boneyard that should have been on the road, they were that nice. Now I know some parts to be on the watch for.
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM

I contacted DVAP, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. This is turning into Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Missing Hex Nut.

Funny thing is, I saw quite a few 1970s GM E-body cars (even a '72 Toro) at the junkyard a few years ago, but I didn't need anything back then. Now, I need the nut, and there's no more GM E-bodys left at any of the local junkyards in my area. Figures!

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 8th, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Laqueesha
Bad news. They (GM Parts Online) e-mailed me and said they don't have the part in stock and that it had been discontinued. I knew it, several days had passed and the order had not yet shipped.

I'll tried GM Parts Direct. Hopefully they'll have it.
I ordered 2 from Gm Parts on line but they havent contacted me to cancel my order yet, but I am expecting a email any time now. On the GM Parts direct website they showed they have them in stock. Roy
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good luck with them. Hope they actually do have the part. Lots of times I've seen shops show inventory on their computer inventory and not have physical stock.
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM

GM Parts Direct didn't have it either. Said it was discontinued. Well, I tried...
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As Chris said, he's got 'em, but can't get to 'em right away - I'd recommend bumping the Wanted thread every few days or so, until someone notices it.

I'd also recommend checking with John (2blu442) and Scott (OldsPackrat).

You'll find one, sooner rather than later.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:47 PM

I found two (used ones) at a parts place, but they want 75 dollars for it, which is ridiculous. I'm hoping somebody else has it for cheaper.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 13th, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:39 AM

If you purchased a new front axle I wonder if it would come with the nut on the end. They are about 90 bucks but at least you would have a replacement axle if you needed it down the road. 75 bucks for a nut, come on they cant be that rare, can they?
Old September 13th, 2015, 06:25 AM

The replacement axles do not come with a new nut.
When I first joined this site, there was a guy near here who listed that he was parting out eight '66 to '70 Toronados, including a '70 GT (no motor). I went there and picked as many things as I needed, and a few spares, like hub caps, and even a complete black dash assembly. He tried and tried to part out those Toros, but there was few takers of any of it. They were rusty, and mouse infested. I went back one last time just before he scrapped them all, and took home some trim bits, and a '66 Q-jet. There was one '70 that was decent, but it had the wrong motor, and had not been run in over 30 years. He cut out all the front drive assemblies, and was shipping them, and the engine blocks out to California, where there apparently is demand by the guys who rebuild the GMC motorhomes.
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ostie13
If you purchased a new front axle I wonder if it would come with the nut on the end. They are about 90 bucks but at least you would have a replacement axle if you needed it down the road.
That's what I was wondering. Some pictures show a nut on the spindle, others do not. At first I was frustrated at how hard these things are to find, now it's getting kind of funny.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 13th, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old September 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is a nut waiting for you.

Please read and follow the instructions in the PM you just got.

ClassicOlds has you covered.

- Eric
Old September 13th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Wtg Eric...you da man!
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's not really me - it's someone else who's swamped right now, but the time is very limited.

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:29 AM

First I looked up this:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1424&ppt=C0362

That gave me the thread size and pitch and then I found this:
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/1...615-110-1.html

You should be able to find this fairly easily now.
Funny thing is the fitment shows for Hondas.
Old September 14th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
You should be able to find this fairly easily now.
Funny thing is the fitment shows for Hondas.
Interesting... Do I need to get the axle too? Doesn't look like it's slotted, though.

Last edited by Laqueesha; September 14th, 2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old September 14th, 2015, 04:10 AM

It's not, but you may be able to have it notched. I'm guessing you need a castle nut?
And no, you shouldn't need the axle.

Quick Reply: Need spindle hex nut for '73 Toro