Looking for Intact Dash radio opening Cutlass 71-72

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Looking for Intact Dash radio opening Cutlass 71-72

If anybody has a damaged front part of the plastic dash but the radio mount is still in tact i need one to fix my dash opening back to stock. It was cut out to accept a newer radio.
I want to perform some surgery and cut it out to stick in mine
71-72 cutlass supreme.
I included a pic to show what mine looks like!
PM Me if you can help and include a picture!

Thanks Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG956524.jpg (71.8 KB, 56 views)
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jason, just an FYI
In order to 'fix' that area of your dash you actually need to replace the entire intermediate plastic dash.
Check with 'oldspackrat', 507OLDS or Jensenracing77. They likely have the part you're looking for. Any color - doesn't matter because it can be SEM painted or dyed black to match your car. Not just 71/72 Supreme. Can be 70-72 ANY Olds A body (includes vista cruiser)
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Allan,
Thanks again for your recommendation. I do have some of these dash pieces in stock and ready to ship, I might even have a nice black one. I will get pictures and repost here as soon as I can.
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jason, just an FYI
In order to 'fix' that area of your dash you actually need to replace the entire intermediate plastic dash.
Check with 'oldspackrat', 507OLDS or Jensenracing77. They likely have the part you're looking for. Any color - doesn't matter because it can be SEM painted or dyed black to match your car. Not just 71/72 Supreme. Can be 70-72 ANY Olds A body (includes vista cruiser)

Yes thats the right way,but i want to repair and cut out what i need to make it whole again from a hopefully damaged one then glue in and put new wood grain over it.I can't see buying a nice one and cutting it up.I was just gonna use a newer stereo but now i'm changing my mind and my resto guy just put the dash back in.So if it works it works and if not i just stick to original plan of using a newer stereo
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:17 PM

I think he meant to buy a good one and replace the one you have.
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^ Yup, what Brian said. I don't understand why you would want to do a patch job and cover it up when you could just install a new lower dash. Patch jobs usually have a bad habit of failing when least expected. The middle dash looks like this:

Old January 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Alan,

Tearing my dash back out now is not an option! Picture i have is weeks ago and it's all back together now. I should have replaced it while it was out,but then i was pretty set on just putting in a newer stereo.Now i'm thinking about going with a Retrosound brand stereo to give it a more classic look.
I just need to patch in some pieces to complete what was cut out. Which is basically part of the holes where the radio threaded studs go through.I wanted to give it a shot before i purchase my stereo.Cause the stereo i purchase all depends if i can mend this somehow.If not i have to go with a newer stereo.That's why i am looking for something damaged,cracked etc...> Cause i don't want to buy a Niece Dash piece in tact to just cut it.
Like the picture you have,why would i buy that niece piece to hack the stereo area out??

If this makes any sense
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Here is one that may suit your needs?
The AC faceplate area has been cut out for some reason?? Also has another hole or two in it. The radio area is nice & uncut. Don't know if you need the whole thing or if you want me to cut it down some to save a bit on shipping?
Give me a call?
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by JJSCUTLASS
Tearing my dash back out now is not an option!
I just need to patch in some pieces to complete what was cut out. Which is basically part of the holes where the radio threaded studs go through.I wanted to give it a shot before i purchase my stereo.Cause the stereo i purchase all depends if i can mend this somehow.If not i have to go with a newer stereo.That's why i am looking for something damaged,cracked etc...> Cause i don't want to buy a Niece Dash piece in tact to just cut it.
Like the picture you have,why would i buy that niece piece to hack the stereo area out??
I understand where you're coming from now. No, I wasn't suggesting buying a new one to hack apart. I initially thought maybe you could just replace the whole intermediate plastic dash and paint it to match the color of your car. That's basically what the factory worked with. I didn't realize you didn't want to swap out one cut intermediate dash for a good uncut one.

Now that you've explained, that dash Scott posted pics of is the perfect candidate for you to hack up and use to fix the one in your car. It's already trashed by the heater/ac controls. Scott's a good guy and will work with you. Anyway that's my 2¢.
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Yeah Allan, The MAW's came a little late on this one
Should of fixed it while it was out and i sure didn't want to hack up a new or used good one either.The guy working on my car would of killed me if i told him to pull the dash back out after he just put it back in!! Scott hooked me-up!! Nice Guy!!

Thanks Scott for the help!!

Jason