Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Olds Big Block 2x4 Intake

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Olds Big Block 2x4 Intake

Bought this a few months ago for $3 as a joke and now it is time to turn it into weatherstrip kit for my 442.

It is an Offenhauser. Sounds German. Germans make the Sham Wow. All threads are perfect, no repairs, no cracks. It had been bead blasted and is ready to guzzle gas.

I am looking for $200 plus shipping. I accept Paypal, MC, Visa, and Amex. Fla residents add 6% sales tax.

My number is 561-951-4831.
Andy

Here it is on my 65 400.

DSCN1125.jpg
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM

I wonder what the MPG would be in my Vista with a 455.

I need to go sit in a corner and let my desires cool off.

Maybe I'll have a flash of sanity.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Sorry project for unintentionally hyjacking thread.

Last edited by Axeni; June 10th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM

They are mostly for looks, but if you use 500 cfm carbs with progressive linkage they will work and I hafta admit they look cool. Have one with twin 600 cfm's sitting in my garage and have been tempted to install on my 48
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Axeni
Did you guys not see the other thread about 2X4 not worth while as the motor can never use the cfm and it possibly caused a blown motor cause it wasnt set up properly.
I don't think that was the cause of his motor failure!!!! And with the right carbs it would work fine!!!
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Did you guys not see the other thread about 2X4 not worth while as the motor can never use the cfm and it possibly caused a blown motor cause it wasnt set up properly.
Maybe you should re-read those posts... Nobody ever said that the manifold contributed to the engine failure.

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM

" possibly caused a blown motor cause it wasnt set up properly."
If a motor is running rich or lean it can cause catastrophic failure. Dont need to re-read anything. Common sense.

Last edited by Axeni; June 9th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

But the other guy on the other thread appears to have spun a bearing.
His mixture was uneven, but his combustion chambers and valves look fine.
His dual-quad setup wasn't to blame for his misfortune.

- Eric
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:33 AM

Over rich will not cause failure other than black soot and a poor running Rocket.

Over Lean is a completely different story! Engine failure in the form of melted components can and will happen.

This can occur with any carburetor. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2x4 setup properly set up as any carb or series of carbs should be.
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsmike1972
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2x4 setup properly set up as any carb or series of carbs should be.
Absolutely true...

BUT, depending on the components, the carbs may provide WAY more airflow than the engine could ever use, and (this is the "properly set up" part), may provide worse throttle response and fuel economy than a single carb, with no performance gains. Like everything else, it depends on the details and on the knowledge of the builder. Slapping a dual-quad setup on there ain't gonna help someone any more than swapping a four barrel for a two-barrel will, and might hurt performance, unless well thought-out.

- Eric
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Man, you guys really need to start your own thread. Read this, no hardcore Olds guy is complete without this near mint conversation piece collecting dust on his/her shelf/ I am NOT a hardcore Olds guy, I am a car guy with dare I publicly say two, yes two Big Block Chevelles, and two, again two Nig Block Monte Carlos, and a 90 454SS truck that will run circles around 99% of the cars here.

Who cares if it works, it is cool. Plus you can close your hood with this intake. It has all the factory bolt holes to add the needed stuff other earlier intakes dont. Again, it is made by the same people that brought us the Sham Wow. Now I am not saying that you need beat up a hooker * to be cool, but come on man, this intake is THE coolest thing you can have collectind dust on YOUR shelf. Or mock up an engine on the stand, set this thing on. You can be cool without ever bolting this thing down.

* to make sense of the hooker comment, realize the guy hocking the Sham Wow not only used Made in Germany to sell a shammy that didn't work, he was convicted of assaulting a hooker in Atalanta during a trade show in 2009.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Project Grandpa
Man, you guys really need to start your own thread. I am NOT a hardcore Olds guy, I am a car guy with dare I publicly say two, yes two Big Block Chevelles, and two, again two Nig Block Monte Carlos, and a 90 454SS truck that will run circles around 99% of the cars here.

Who cares if it works, it is cool. Plus you can close your hood with this intake. It has all the factory bolt holes to add the needed stuff other earlier intakes dont.
Hmm, seems like a stick has just been poked in the hornets' nest!lol

Hood will close but you need a pretty low profile air cleaner going from the one on my 67.

Your thread was hijacked!
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Grandpa,

If parts collecting dust on a shelf is any indication of how cool you are. I'm frigg'in James Dean.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Grandpa,

If parts collecting dust on a shelf is any indication of how cool you are. I'm frigg'in James Dean.
jimbo, you would think someone would fixate themselves on how I got it for $3, not even two months ago. Glad you asked.

A yahoo comes into my shop and says he has changed every gasket and seal on his wifes 95 Accord but it still leaks oil. He says he will give me the intake if I can fix it. I told him if it was more than a $100 repair I would take a pass. Turns out to be a $2.87 VTEC solenoid gasket. Got my intake. His driveway is now spared the indecency of Honda drippings all over it.

There, clear, concise, on topic.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

" possibly caused a blown motor cause it wasnt set up properly."
If a motor is running rich or lean it can cause catastrophic failure. Dont need to re-read anything. Common sense.
And yet, that has nothing to do with how many carbs are on the motor...
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Administrator

A motor is a pump, just like an air compressor. The volume of air under normal operating conditions is limited bore, stroke, internal passage size, inlet and outlet size. It will only use the flow that meets those parameters. The fuel setting is based on jet size and basic carb setup.

The ratings on the carbs are based on bench flow tests at a specified vacuum level! A simple general rule of thumb is Cubic inches x2 = CFM requirement at wot. Since we don't run @ wot all the time, your figure will be then multiplied x .80 (or 80%).

So, a 455 x 2 = 910 cfm @ wot. Then for normal operating x .80 = 728. Most people run a 750 - 850 cfm carb on a 455.

Therefore 2ea 500 cfm carbs jetted and set properly would work on a 455. I've also run 2 ea 500 cfm on mild performance small blocks. Car manufacturers started putting multiple carbs on big and small blocks before alot of us were born with no inherent problems.
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM

"Bought this a few months ago for $3 as a joke and now it is time to turn it into weatherstrip kit for my 442. "

I need to have a few jokes like that!!! BTW, let me know if you want to part with one of those BB Montes.
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
"Bought this a few months ago for $3 as a joke and now it is time to turn it into weatherstrip kit for my 442. "

I need to have a few jokes like that!!! BTW, let me know if you want to part with one of those BB Montes.
Choose your poison. 70, 454/400/3.31 12 bolt posi,F41,a/c, bone stock.
71 496/350/3.73 12 bolt posi. Good looking street car runs high 11's on engine, high 10's on spray. 4 bolt, Merlins, drag radial car.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Tom

After reading this post, I'm not sure if you still have the intake or not! But if you do, I'll make an offer of $200 shipped to Wisconsin!
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Originally Posted by Tom
After reading this post, I'm not sure if you still have the intake or not! But if you do, I'll make an offer of $200 shipped to Wisconsin!
Tom, done. I got caught up in all the other stuff to realize I had an offer

Pm me your shipping info and we will figure out payment.

Andy
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM

that is a very cool intake being so low, tom scores
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Tomas, got your check. I'll be shipping out to the land of Cheese tomorrow. say hey to Mike D for me.Lol.

Also known as intake is SOLD. Thanks fer de wonderfull conversation as well as taking a for Sale topic to places I would have never imagined.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM

PM sent
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Tom

Andy
Have you shipped the intake yet? Who's Mike D?

Tom
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

Originally Posted by Tom
Andy
Have you shipped the intake yet? Who's Mike D?

Tom

Mike D is a bud in Madison.

I know, big state...

Tracking actually says today is the day. I'll pm you the tracking.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Tom

Got it! Looks good. Thanks Andy