Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968-69 Cutlass Electric Antenna - Complete

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM

1968-69 Cutlass Electric Antenna - Complete

Up for sale is a used 1968-69 F-85/Cutlass/442 electric antenna. It includes the switch, electrical wiring, coaxial cable, and brackets; most everything you would need to install one on your car.

Scroll down through the text to see all 9 of the photos I have provided.

All of the components are in very good condition, with a few listed exceptions. We had a tag on it marked “1968 Cutlass” to identify it when it was pulled from the car many years ago. The part numbers on the upper antenna adapter and gasket confirm that it is for a 1968-69 2-door coupe. This could be used on a convertible as well, but will need a different upper antenna adapter.

I took a photo (#5) of the antenna mast alongside a straightedge. I aligned the straightedge with the lowest section of the antenna mast. It really is straight and true. About 7” down from the tip of the mast, there is a slight kink in the upper mast section. This is detailed in photo #6. It does not affect the extension or retraction of the mast.

The chrome upper adapter is very slightly pitted, but should polish up well. The antenna nut has been damaged from removal and will likely need to be replaced. The upper adapter gasket is somewhat malformed. Both the nut and gasket are available from Fusick as reproductions.

I attached the switch and ran 12 volts through the switch to operate the antenna, with no problems at all. All of the electrical wiring, plus the coax, are in very good condition and are uncut. The switch bezel has some extremely small pitting, but it is hardly noticeable. It looks like you get a rear speaker wire as a bonus.

I do have other and more-detailed photos of the antenna and parts, but there were too many to crowd onto this page. Just email me if you would like to see them.

My price on the antenna and all you see in the photos is $350.00, which includes UPS Ground shipping in the 48 states.

Please let me know if you have any questions. You can contact me at herbslegacy(AT)sbcglobal(DOT)net . I don't do PMs, so you will have to email me directly or through the Classic Oldsmobile system.

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Nice

and, complete!
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:29 PM

Something isn't correct with your parts book. That chrome base is correct for a convertible, 4 door, and (I think) big car, but it won't work for a hardtop. The hardtop base is "V" shaped

Nice clean parts!

Last edited by allyolds68; June 5th, 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:35 PM

Here's a 69 hardtop power antenna base (same as 68)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
glenns power antenna 02.JPG (230.1 KB, 73 views)
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Antenna Mounting Adapter Update

Mike, I beg to differ on the antenna mounting adapter. I had done my homework and hoped that everyone could take my word for it. I didn't want to have to list every detail, but that's okay.

The part numbers cast/molded into the antenna mounting adapter and gasket are 400017 and 400020, respectively. They are listed in my 1975 Oldsmobile parts catalog as fitting 1968-69 F-85 F-85 2-door coupes. This is the only application listed for these parts. Have a look at the attached thumbnail images I copied from the parts catalog.

The adapter and gasket part numbers for the 1968-69 F-85 convertibles and sedans are 400018 and 400021, respectively.

I hope that this will end any debate as to what adapter is on the antenna I have for sale. Thanks for paying attention to the details anyhow!

Thanks, Olmanwinter
Attached Images
400017.JPG (11.7 KB, 40 views)
400020.JPG (11.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by olmanwinter; June 5th, 2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Updated photo information
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM

You are correct on your part numbers but the 400017 doesn't look anything like the one you have posted. It's supposed to have a "v" in the top. (see figure 2 below)

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Here's my original 68 spacer part #400018

Here's a pic of it:

It looks identical to your's, doesn't it? Nothing like the 400017 shown in the assembly manual

I don't know what to tell you except if your part is stamped 400017, the part number must be stamped wrong. I know my 68-69's pretty well and what you have is definitely not the coupe part

Last edited by allyolds68; June 5th, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:36 PM

It is because of the view of the adapter in the photos. The adapter does have the vee cast into it. You just can't see it in the photos.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Mike, does this answer your question? This is a photo that I have saved. Do I need to take one without the gasket?

Old June 10th, 2015, 05:07 PM

Transaction Pending

The antenna is spoken for, but not paid for yet. Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by olmanwinter
Mike, does this answer your question? This is a photo that I have saved. Do I need to take one without the gasket?
FWIW all you had to do was reply that it had a "V" in it and the picture wasn't clear after I commented in my first post. I know damn well what it's supposed to look like and your pictures were taken from every angle EXCEPT the one that showed the "V"
Old June 11th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Response to Mike

From my point of view, everyone does things different. As long as you stick to the facts, it's all good.

You obviously have a wealth of knowledge and available information about the 1968-69 F-85 models. I rely on my collection of GM parts literature and concede when I'm unsure about something.

Was my display of photos of the antenna adapter not showing the vee intentional? No, I just presented the photos as I thought they best represented the complete antenna assembly. I stated in my listing that I had other photos and all you had to do was ask for them.

I chose to document the adapter using the parts catalog information. I would hope that forum members would be able to take my word that the information was correct. Instead, you indicate that my Oldsmobile parts catalog is wrong (?!), the numbers cast into the part are wrong, and that I am wrong. Did you ever consider that maybe you didn't see every surface of the adapter and that I was presenting factual information?

I wish that you might have contacted me in private and asked about the antenna, instead of trying to show how "wrong" I am in front of the whole forum.
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM

Some people will nit pic at anything mellow out there Mike or did you not get burped today, the guy is selling a car part if you are not the one buying it keep your comments to your self or do you enjoy just starting crap cause that's all it seem's to look like
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:45 PM

And this further makes the point how guys get soured dealing in parts. I read this as an honest ad missing a specific angle. A guy pointing out it may be inaccurate but to my thinking not in a crappy way. A response clarifying the ad with a photo, again, not in a crappy way. And then it quickly starts to go downhill in tone and borderline sore feelings. Me thinks it works best at swaps so everything is inspectible but not really practical if you want to get the parts to a wider audience. Oh well.
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JIM'S w30
Some people will nit pic at anything mellow out there Mike or did you not get burped today, the guy is selling a car part if you are not the one buying it keep your comments to your self or do you enjoy just starting crap cause that's all it seem's to look like

I was trying to make sure someone got what they thought they were supposed to get. No more, no less. If you look at my posts outside this thread you'll find that I'm pretty helpful. Most people say a picture is worth a thousand words. In this thread a thousand words are worth a picture.

I apologize if everyone took my response as an attack. It certainly wasn't intended to be that. Have you ever tried to buy headers for a 70 Cutlass Supreme. The parts book says they don't exist.

& BTW, the personal attack just sucks. It says a lot about you
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:07 AM

*This Antenna Package is SOLD*

This antenna package is sold. Thank you for the inquiries!