Seymour's Cast Blast

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2023, 09:25 AM
---------------

Seymour's Cast Blast

Greetings all

I'm considering some Seymour's cast blast for all of my new front steering components. Tie rods, center link etc. Anyone ever use it and what has been your experience? Any tips for using it other than the normal procedure for rattle canning something?

Ty
Old May 18th, 2023, 12:53 PM

I like just degreasing & scotchbrighting the parts, then clear coating with real catalyzed product, I’ve done gloss but prefer matte. I used the Cast Blast product for a few things long ago and recall it had a nice finish to it. I’m probably gonna use it on a JGC steering box that I have that came painted black.

For the record, I still “have contact” or own cars where I cleared the parts and they all have held up beautifully, my own is at appx 23 years now. Most of these cars don’t see weather so the Cast Blast would probably hold up satisfactorily. Better yet, spray with Cast Blast & then matte clear it, you’ll be in far worse shape comparatively, down the road than your parts will be!

Old May 19th, 2023, 03:40 AM
---------------

Apologies, what is a catalyzed product?
Old May 19th, 2023, 03:59 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Cast blast and alumiblast are good products. They are what I use.
Old May 19th, 2023, 04:01 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by bccan
I like just degreasing & scotchbrighting the parts, then clear coating with real catalyzed product, I’ve done gloss but prefer matte. I used the Cast Blast product for a few things long ago and recall it had a nice finish to it. I’m probably gonna use it on a JGC steering box that I have that came painted black.

For the record, I still “have contact” or own cars where I cleared the parts and they all have held up beautifully, my own is at appx 23 years now. Most of these cars don’t see weather so the Cast Blast would probably hold up satisfactorily. Better yet, spray with Cast Blast & then matte clear it, you’ll be in far worse shape comparatively, down the road than your parts will be!

I own an automotive paint shop and have always recommended not clearing bare metal as nothing other than epoxy or self etching primer will properly adhere to it. However, we now uses a product called etching wipes. It’s literally just a wipe similar to Clorox wipes that you simply pull one out, wipe the bare steel and let it dry 5-10 minutes. The steel is then prepared by etching to receive topcoat. It is completely invisible and a great option to prepare bare metal for clearcoat completely eliminating the need for epoxy or self etching primer.

Last edited by ijasond; May 19th, 2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old May 19th, 2023, 04:11 AM
---------------

Originally Posted by ijasond
I own an automotive paint shop and have always recommended not clearing bare metal as nothing will properly adhere to it. However, we now uses a product called etching wipes. It’s literally just a wipe similar to Clorox wipes that you simply pull one out, wipe the bare steel and let it dry 5-10 minutes. The steel is then prepared by etching to receive topcoat. It is completely invisible and a great option to prepare bare metal for clearcoat completely eliminating the need for epoxy or self etching primer.

That's interesting. Ive used self etching primer as well on other pieces in this project I regular spray painted. Brings me another question I hadn't thought of. Does Cast blast require etching and/or priming like a regular spray paint? I haven't even purchased /read the can yet.
Old May 19th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Olds Fanatic

Cast blast and alumiblast are good products. They are what I use.
x2
Old May 19th, 2023, 06:33 AM

I love Seymour 'Cast Blast'.....
I know its not the best pic in the world, but until the time I get my air cleaner topper grey phosphate plated, I used the Cast Blast on it...

Old May 19th, 2023, 06:37 AM
---------------

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
I love Seymour 'Cast Blast'.....
I know its not the best pic in the world, but until the time I get my air cleaner topper grey phosphate plated, I used the Cast Blast on it...

Yeah that looks great. A little bit lighter than the color that the tie rods etc start off as. Any tips or tricks for using this product from your experience? Other than the usual degreas/clean. Also can you clear coat over this? Just for better protection from stones etc under the car

Old May 19th, 2023, 11:34 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by FINISHLINE
That's interesting. Ive used self etching primer as well on other pieces in this project I regular spray painted. Brings me another question I hadn't thought of. Does Cast blast require etching and/or priming like a regular spray paint? I haven't even purchased /read the can yet.
The tech sheet looks like a middle school kid wrote it. Substrates aren't even listed, but its acrylic lacquer so I highly doubt its technically a DTM product. That said, I spray it and other types of aerosol paints like duplicolor engine enamel on bare steel frequently and with good results.

Also, self etching primer from an aerosol can doesn't work either IMO. The self etching primer we use professionally is a 2k product. The aerosol stuff usually says in the tech sheet that it's ok for use on exposed steel spots up to the size of a quarter.

Last edited by ijasond; May 19th, 2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 19th, 2023, 05:10 PM
---------------

The tech sheet looks like a middle school kid wrote it. Substrates aren't even listed, but its acrylic lacquer so I highly doubt its technically a DTM product. That said, I spray it and other types of aerosol paints like duplicolor engine enamel on bare steel frequently and with good results.

Also, self etching primer from an aerosol can doesn't work either IMO. The self etching primer we use professionally is a 2k product. The aerosol stuff usually says in the tech sheet that it's ok for use on exposed steel spots up to the size of a quarter.
​​​​​​QUOTE

Well...I used it. Quite a bit of it lol. 2 coats followed by 2 coats of paint. All under carriage suspension parts etc. Looks pretty good for an amateur DIY guy like myself. Thanks for the info.
Old May 20th, 2023, 02:47 AM

I've used cast blast a lot. I find that it must be porous. If it's exposed to the elements rust comes right through it. I love the color but even with primer below it the rust eventually comes through.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 02:23 PM
---------------

Can I /should I clear coat over cast blast. These are steering components that will be taking the brunt of road dirt, rocks etc. Extra protection?

Also can I just use matte finish rattle can clear such as Rust-Oleum 2X matte clear.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 05:49 AM

A matte clear would probably work fine.