Painting my 455 (Bunch of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Painting my 455 (Bunch of Pics)

So to give everyone an idea of whats going on, I will start from the beginning. Im a 22 year Ontarian, and an old car enthusiast, and have been since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. So naturally, when I found a 1971 Cutlass with a 455 Rocket in good shape for $4400 CDN, I was all over it like white on rice. I bought it last Thanksgiving, and have been working on it every chance I get, trying to get it on the road this summer.

So when I pulled the motor to get my frame welded, and replace my suspension bushings, I figured it was as good a time as any to give it a fresh paint job, and make it look pretty under the hood. I've made a quick play by play of most everything I have done, along with pictures. Enjoy!

I decided to go with the POR-15 Engine painting kit, in Olds Gold. This was an awesome kit, came with everything I needed, and looks great too http://www.canada-por15.com/merchant...gory_Code=Kits

So I pulled the motor and tranny out of the bay without much difficulty, other than making a mess all over the shop floor. It seems simply draining the fluids doesnt get every bit out haha. Heres the dirty engine bay, and dirty motor freshly pulled.

homeshowandstuff097.jpg

homeshowandstuff099.jpg

No, I didnt pull the motor out using those straps, I was using them because my engine stand didnt want to hold the motor with everything still attached. Once I got the intake, water pump, P/S pump, and Alternator off, it held up decent.... until I was removing a valve cover, and the stand gave out. My forst reaction when the motor was crashing over was to try and catch it. Bad idea. I ended up with an 8 inch scrape, and the darkest purple bruise Ive ever seen on myself. The motor itself wasnt damaged, other than the crank pulley edge being slightly bent in, but that was easily fixed. So I rigged up a more solid stand for the rest of my work. I didnt take pictures of the motor down, or my scrape as I was too pissed off to be bothered with it haha, sorry!

When I pulled the intake manifold, and the pan gasket off, I realized that I really hate "Liquid Gasket". Whoever owned this car before me, used that blue crap everywhere, to seal everything. What a pain to get it off! Why wouldnt you use real gaskets to begin with!? But more importantly the first thing that caught my eye was this pleasant little surprise:

homeshowandstuff107.jpg

That was easily fixed via $15 at the local Napa store, it was just a bent rod, and a lifter with broken pins. No valve damage came of it, and everything seemed to be in working order.

Heres what the motor looked like after degreaser and a rinse:

CIMG0084.jpg

And after about 20 hours of paint removing and grinding out rust, I sprayed it with the silver primer POR-15 paint:

CIMG0088.jpg

Then I painted it with the Olds Gold, and put it back together. Heres what it looks like without the alternator and P/S pump (they make it look ugly :P)

CIMG0092.jpg

Sorry for the quality differences in the pictures, some were taken with my phone, and some with a digital camera. I hope you guys like my thread, all questions and comments are welcome

Last edited by 71cutlass455; April 13th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Just curious, why did you paint your 455, 350 gold?
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Because I was grossly misinformed, I was told from what I thought to be a reliable source that the 455's were all painted gold. It was too late by the time I realized it isnt the right color. but I did it anyway cuz it looks great
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM

now its a sleeper, just tell freinds and lookers its a well built 350!
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Ben

Looks great.

I've always liked the Gold engine paint better than all the other olds engine colors... Red, Blue, Bronze.... So maybe you're better off with it wrong!
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Ya im pretty happy with it myself, red just wouldnt look right under the hood :s

If I had the money, and didnt want it on the road ASAP, then *maybe* i would consider repainting it to match it to stock... then again, theres many things on here that arent stock, so whats the point? :P
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM

Olds Gold

Just curious what Olds Gold you used. Some are more gold than others and some are better than others. Yours looks good. Doing a 330. Did you find that the silver POR15 helped the gold cover better? Thanks!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:08 AM

On the POR-15 site, there was only 1 color of Olds Gold that you could buy. That was a few months back so I dont know if they have any more colors or not. The bottom of the oilpan didnt get a coat of silver primer, and the gold on top of the bare metal doesnt look the same, its slightly duller. It doesnt look bad, but the silver primer really brings the color out better.
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM

I found this thread very useful!

Although I think I might paint my 350 blue like a 455 so I don't have to listen to cruisers that can't simply give a nice compliment and move on.

" You shouldv'e put in a 455" " Oh this car would be sweet with a 455 "
" some of these came with 455's my Dad had one"
" Did you know they made 455's? "
" Is this a Chevelle?"

I hate people
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Homestar

Although I think I might paint my 350 blue like a 455 so I don't have to listen to cruisers that can't simply give a nice compliment and move on.

" Is this a Chevelle?"

I hate people
You are right on the money with that, everyone thinks my 70 cutlass is a chevelle. Then they give me a confused look when I tell them I have a 350 with 455 heads on it.
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Homestar

" Is this a Chevelle?"

I hate people

Glad my post has made someones life easier I havent had anyone ask if my Cutlass was a Chevelle yet... then again, its still not on the road Waiting for all the little odds and ends to be tied together for my safety.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 71cutlass455
Glad my post has made someones life easier I havent had anyone ask if my Cutlass was a Chevelle yet... then again, its still not on the road Waiting for all the little odds and ends to be tied together for my safety.
Looks greatpainted mine gold also to pass it off as one of those big block 350'smine is not or never will be origional so I build it the way I like itkeep up the good work!!